- Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community

Call Search

New to Ham Radio?
My Profile

Friends Remembered
Survey Question

DX Cluster Spots

Ham Exams
Ham Links
List Archives
News Articles
Product Reviews
QSL Managers

Site Info
eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement

[Articles Home]  [Add Article]  

Connecticut SKYWARN Praised Following Tornado:

from The ARRL Letter on July 18, 2013
Add a comment about this article!

Connecticut SKYWARN Praised Following Tornado:

After violent weather and a rare tornado hit parts of Connecticut and Western Massachusetts on July 1, Connecticut SKYWARN got kudos from SKYWARN Coordinator and ARRL Eastern Massachusetts Section Emergency Coordinator Rob Macedo, KD1CY.

"[T]he Hartford-Tolland County Connecticut SKYWARN team had another exemplary performance providing the first surface and ground truth reports of the Windsor Locks, Connecticut, tornado being on the ground," Macedo wrote Connecticut Section Manager Betsey Doane, K1EIC, and SEC Wayne Gronlund, N1CLV. "They provided the first damage reports covering many of the areas affected and confirmed reports on I-91 of the tractor trailer being hit by the tornado as well as the damage to the sports dome in East Windsor, Connecticut. In addition, one of the amateurs from Hartford-Tolland County Connecticut SKYWARN provided damage information from the southern part of Enfield, Connecticut."

"They do a great job and in the most critical weather moments affecting the state of Connecticut," Macedo said of the Connecticut SKYWARN team. "It's a pleasure working with them." According to, the EF1 tornado uprooted trees and damaged buildings and vehicles. The region also received several inches of rain.


The ARRL Letter

There are no comments on this article: Post One

Email Subscription
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Other News Articles
Australis Oscar 5 History:
New Frequencies for Germany and Colombia:
Pueblo Man Granted Dying Wish to go to National Weather Service:
Ham Radio Operators Have a Busy Day:
30 Years Later, Notorious 'Max Headroom Incident' Remains a Mystery: