eHam.net - Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community

Call Search
     

New to Ham Radio?
My Profile

Community
Articles
Forums
News
Reviews
Friends Remembered
Strays
Survey Question

Operating
Contesting
DX Cluster Spots
Propagation

Resources
Calendar
Classifieds
Ham Exams
Ham Links
List Archives
News Articles
Product Reviews
QSL Managers

Site Info
eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net



[Articles Home]  [Add Article]  

All Things Appy: 5 Best Radio Apps for Android:

from technewsworld.com on August 24, 2013
Website: http://www.technewsworld.com/rsstory/78783.html
View comments about this article!

All Things Appy: 5 Best Radio Apps for Android:

See the full story here:

LINK

Member Comments:
This article has expired. No more comments may be added.
 
All Things Appy: 5 Best Radio Apps for Android:  
by N8YQX on August 24, 2013 Mail this to a friend!
One of my favorite Android app for ham radio:

The ARRL Repeater Directory

It's free, and provides repeater directory based on your GPS location, or alternative location you manually input.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.arrl.repeaterdirectory
 
All Things Appy: 5 Best Radio Apps for Android:  
by K9ZF on August 25, 2013 Mail this to a friend!
Uh, none of the aps listed are about ham radio...

The closest one is for scanner listening.

73
Dan

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
former K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
<http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>
List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Mailing list!
 
RE: All Things Appy: 5 Best Radio Apps for Android:  
by K9ZF on August 25, 2013 Mail this to a friend!
A repeater directory ap sounds cool. I will check that one out.

Thanks,
Dan

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
former K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
<http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>
List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Mailing list!
 
All Things Appy: 5 Best Radio Apps for Android:  
by WS4E on August 25, 2013 Mail this to a friend!
I am using an android right now.

I can tell you after owing an I phone for a few years, the quality of the ham apps on the iPhone is much better.

Android does not even have a decent amsat tracking app. Nothing like GoSatWatch even exists on android. The morse code tutor programs are not nearly as good as those on iPhone either. And there are fewer variety of everything from aprs to psk apps.

I thought android would be more open and better for ham apps, but I am finding the quality and variety very lacking.

I will be going back to iPhone pretty much due to ham apps.

The same thing with commercial apps. The android has an outdated and less capable netflix app, and there isn't even an app for amazon prime.
 
All Things Appy: 5 Best Radio Apps for Android:  
by W6ZKH on August 25, 2013 Mail this to a friend!
Problem with ARRL Repeater Directory is that 75% of listed repeaters are no longer on the air and the other 25% no one is on....at least in my area.. in case of emergency, use cell phone as no one longer monitors local repeaters, or wont come back to you if you arent a member of the clique.
 
RE: All Things Appy: 5 Best Radio Apps for Android:  
by VA3DXV on August 26, 2013 Mail this to a friend!
This is a sorry post for ham apps.

Here are a few of my favorites:

APRSDroid: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.aprsdroid.app

Echolink: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.echolink.android

QRZDroid: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.qrz.database.callsign

Ham Radio Tools: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=chris.ham.radioTools

Repeater Directory: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.arrl.repeaterdirectory

Electrodroid: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.android.demi.elettronica

DroidProp: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.schaeuble.droidprop
 
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to discussions on this article.

Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Other News Articles
IARU Region 3 and APT Agreement:
Breakall Sends Students on a 'Fox Hunt' to Learn Ham Radio:
Ham Radio Towers Stolen In Effort:
Amateur Radio Operators to Converge In Claremore on March 13-14:
YL 33: The First Female Ham Radio Operators, and Their Awesome Legacy: