- Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community

Call Search

New to Ham Radio?
My Profile

Friends Remembered
Survey Question

DX Cluster Spots

Ham Exams
Ham Links
List Archives
News Articles
Product Reviews
QSL Managers

Site Info
eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement

[Articles Home]  [Add Article]  

On Being DX

from Mark Brown, N4BCD on June 2, 2014
View comments about this article!

On Being DX
By Mark Brown, N4BCD

Who could have imagined how popular this weekly state by state activation of W1AW would be? Each week we're treated to new DXpeditions where nearly every state is really 59.

After relocating barely across the border from Alabama to Tennessee I sought out the Tennessee Contest Group inquiring how one might be able to operate in the event. In the months leading up to TN's activation, emails kept folks apprised of the planning and in due course a schedule emerged listing days / times / modes & operator callsigns. Special thanks to Ned K1GU for his outstanding organization and clarity of communications.

The first couple of schedules had no callsigns in slots where other states had huge pile-ups and with some trepidation I signed up to lead off TNís week with 2 hours on 40m Phone then move to 80m for 2 more hours. On other days I picked some other band / time slots that fit with my work schedule.

A little digression. I got back in the hobby a short 5 years ago from a 35 year hiatus. I remember clearly one day talking to an active ham about the changes that occurred since my Novice days. His short dissertation about rigs controlled by computers, software defined radios, new communication modes and more made my jaw drop. I took the exams, bought an FT-950, and started building wire antennas and making contacts. My last CW QSO was 35 years ago. For now Iím still a phone guy. One morning I got on the radio and answered a call to an Op who wanted a serial number.

Didn't think it was the one on the back of the '950 so I asked him what he needed. Of course he got a 001 and then it was off to the internet to learn about Radiosport. DX contests seemed like the quickest path to DXCC so I entered as many as time would allow. Eventually got proficient enough to be noticed by local contesters and was invited to work a station at K4BFT 4A Field Day. It's a serious effort with yearly 1st place finishes and I'm forever indebted to the tutoring of Larry K4AB for improving my run performance. A casual contester with an occasional serious effort describes me.

A few weeks away from TN activation it was time to tweak the low band antenna as I'd noticed that my 130' ladder-line fed doublet broadside NE was not first call good enough for Washington & Idaho during their activations. A chat with friend and antenna guru Tom N4KG confirmed my hunch that another 40m dipole oriented NW would be the ticket. I also used the weeks preceding the activation to listen for how others did it. Consistency. ďW1AW Portable 4Ē at the end of EVERY QSO. Pick out partials. Say "Again". Those 3 lines and "59 Tennessee" were printed in large text - the only paper on my operating desk. I penciled in the reminder somewhere along the way.

On Tuesday of TN's activation I frequently wondered if I'd bitten off more than I could chew. The opening night pile-ups were overwhelming some stateís ops. Home from work and too nervous to eat I settled into the shack to make sure all was ready (N1MM and all amp / tuner settings were done the night before). At 0000 I self spotted at 7.243 and had a call on the first CQ.

Within a minute the pile-up was a full blown roar. Itís difficult to put into words what the sound of hundreds of phonetics & numbers arriving at oneís ears sounds like. Yet out of it full callsigns emerged and if not there was always a partial.

It was apparent I was loud enough that called stations consistently heard me so I never considered splitting and the rate meter was a solid bar at the top of the window. This is what a Dodge Neon must feel like on the Autobahn trying to keep up with the big dogs.

At the conclusion of those first two hours it was time for a breather and another tumbler of water. Holy cow. 342 Qs, 173.9/hr in 2 hours. Revitalized I re-tuned the doublet for 80m and was off on another 2 hour run. Almost as good with 295 Qs, 169.1/hr. A new personal best and I breathed a sigh of relief as the log was emailed in and the station was secured for the night.

One thing I never anticipated was the adrenalin rush that came with having such intense fun for so long. It was hours later that I managed to fall asleep.

Evening two was spent on 20m with the A3S mostly pointed NW for all of NA and the occasional loud European. In hindsight it might have been beneficial to aim NE to capture more EUís but the rate spoke for itself Ė 317 Qís in 2 hours.

Evening three was back to 40m and the best rate yet Ė 192 Qís/hour. I was beginning to get comfortable with the tremendous wall of callers.

Over the next several evenings I added slots on other bands including 6m and even handed out a few simplex Q's on 2m. It didnít compare to those first few nights on the low bands when it seemed like most of the FCC callsign database wanted to be in the log.

A word or two about the callers. Patient, respectful, and almost grateful sounding to be in the log. Except for an occasional tuner-upper that auto-notch took care of I had ZERO problems. In one instance some 40m guys asked me to move down 1. No problem.

On the final evening of Tennesseeís week, I left work early to grab one hour on 10m then wrap up one hour on 40m. The 10m log showed about an even split between JAís and domestics but the rate here and on 40m was only a third of the beginning nights.

My wife Julie KK4CLG and I visited Aruba a few years ago at Christmas and made unannounced visits to "homes with aluminum" where we were welcomed each time. I've often wondered what it would be like on the other end of a P40 contest or DXpedition pile-up in some far off locale. Now I know. And I didn't need to leave the farm to find out. Itís something every ham should experience at least once.

Don't let this opportunity to "be the DX" pass you by. Sign up to operate W1AW in your state for the bands & mode of your choice. Call CQ & hang on!

Member Comments:
This article has expired. No more comments may be added.
On Being DX  
by KC8JX on June 2, 2014 Mail this to a friend!
Congratulations to all the operators and coordinators at the ARRL and state levels. This is a terrific event and I for one am really enjoying the hunt. Lets all have a great year.
On Being DX  
by KE6SLS on June 2, 2014 Mail this to a friend!

Thanks for being part of the w1aw portable!

I've worked many so far, all on digi and cw .. I don't work ssb much, but I would work them if I bumped into them on 75 or 40!

Glad you had fun. Thanks again to all the ops for running this fun event!

73 om
On Being DX  
by WA7DET on June 2, 2014 Mail this to a friend!
You were busy with those numbers. I don't think I could have done it.
The closest I ever came was 2 or 3 QSO's a minute for 7 hours with one 10 minute bathroom break.
I spent 4 years as ZC4TS and the first year had over 8000 contacts. Then I operated as A61TS for a couple of years, but never had the pile-ups of a ZC4. I went back for 3 more years in Cyprus and never came close to your numbers again.
I did learn that running pile-ups is hard work.
Good luck if you do any more DX.
On Being DX  
by N9LCD on June 3, 2014 Mail this to a friend!

Once I bit off way more than I could chew.

In '94, I was licensed as a Technician -- no HF. So I got the bright idea, I'd pull a few strings and operate one of the Vatican stations.

I got permission to be "guest op" at HV3SJ at the Jesuit mother house. After 10 hours in coach to Rome and a few hours on the ground, I was at HV3SJ. The Italian control op briefed me on the gear and said we'd be operating 40 meters, calling Germany first.

My big moment. I keyed the mic and called "CQ DX Germany. This is HV3SJ. CQ DX Germany."

I swear that every European ham north of Rome answered the call. I had no idea of who to answer first. With
guidance from the control op, I managed to complete two or three QSO's before the pileup got totally out of hand.

At that point, the control op took over and I just sat there.

On Being DX  
by KG5VK on June 10, 2014 Mail this to a friend!

Awesome job !!!
You did great!

On Being DX  
by N1IC on June 16, 2014 Mail this to a friend!
My same situation:
On Being DX  
by W3FLH on June 30, 2014 Mail this to a friend!
Great story, Mark! I love the thrill of a pileup, it's what got me into this hobby to begin with.

My story: My best friend in the hobby, Jon N3OI, enlisted me to help with a Rover operation for the PA QSOParty one year. Things went well, we were racking up some decent Q numbers, when we decided to set up shop in Chester County for the last few hours of the contest. Little did we know that Chester had almost no representation that year - the pileup grew quickly and didn't end until everything was over. I was running, N3OI was logging, and when we were done he told me that he was glad it was me on the mic, and not him...

I've also had the privilege of working W1AW at HQ, and once another station spotted me all hell broke loose! The wall of sound is simultaneously intimidating, and music to my ears!

Great fun, and your comment about the adrenaline rush is spot on.

Thanks for sharing your story, it's always good to hear the exploits (and pitfalls) of another pileup-hound.

de Tony, W3FLH
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to discussions on this article.

My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

Related News & Articles
I'm On FT8! Now What?

Other Operating Articles
I'm On FT8! Now What?