FOR SALE: PACKAGE OF THREE HF ADVANCED RADIO DEVICES AMPLIFIERS with spares and tubes.
The first amp is an ARD-230C which is a three tube 3CX800A7 (Eimac) tubed amp fully auto tuned or semi-auto or manually tuned. Has extensive protection circuitry to protect the expensive final tubes. Tubes are separate but included….see later description about the tubes. The attached summary from QST says everything there is to know about this amplifiers. The Control head is separate from the amp and the amp deck can be remotely located, closer to an antenna or wherever.
The second two amp decks are also ARDs but they are ARD 230M amps which are on four discrete banks from 2-15 MHZ. Originally used by the Dept. of Energy to communicate with those special trailers that occasionally roamed the interstates. The amps are complete with everything but a tunable final tank circuit. They could easily be modified to make nice 1500 W amps with the addition of a few components.
The accessories include a spare Peter Dahl transfer which produced 2200 vdc at 1.1 amps for any of these ARD amps. The transformer was never installed, never used.
The tubes are Eimac 3CX800A7s which were separately boxes but came with the amps from the DOE. All nine have been checked and are fine. To best of my knowledge there were never used, were for the three amplifiers noted above, and were never plugged in or turned on in then amps in question. Two rack panel plates that are specially cut out for the control head to be mounted on the panel. Schematics are available for the 230C. I also have the receivers and antenna tuners that were in the trucks (nice Collins mechanical filters in the boxes)
1) All of the above: ARD- 230C plus two ARD-230Ms , three control heads – one for the 230C and two for the 230Ms, all nine of the EIMAC 3CX800A7s, the Peter Dahl spare transformer, and the two rack panel mounts $3900. I WILL SHIP – anywhere in the USA for $250.
2) The ARD-230C with three EIMAC 3CX800A7 tubes and the control head $1950
3) An ARD-230M with three EIMAC 3CX800A7 tubes and the matching 230M control head with a rack panel mount $1100
4) The Peter Dahl new plate transformer 4500 VDC CT with 220-230 VAC primary $350 plus shipping
5) The EIMAC 3CX800A7 tubes $300 each postage paid
6) Offers accepted in any combination of the above items. Let’s make a deal. Partial trades available for WWII black-wrinkle radios……SCR-506 etc.
7) Four Freq DOE Receiver and an antenna tuner with high dollar filters inside – one with each 230M sold. Available for $80 each set of two boxes plus shipping.
The DOE abandoned that communication system in the mid-80s for a satellite-based system. See the QST article for a complete description of the radio contents include the RS232 control system. Note the three EIMAC tubes alone are close to being the worth of the amp deck price for a 230M – lot of value there. The ARD 230C has an RS232 control port for your automated digital station. I can guarantee these amps have never been on the air as the power plugs are still wrapped with pink bubble wrap from being in the SNL warehouse for DOE use and access. The tubes were separately boxed but not in the original EIMAC boxes. I have sole six of the tubes with no returns for issues. All the tubes have been checked and are in good working order.