Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digipan 2.0-WinXP-arrows don't work?  (Read 893 times)
KD6CPA

Ignore
« on: December 21, 2008, 07:22:26 AM »

Hi, all,

I'm new to Digipan - finally got my station configured correctly and all the TX/RX "setup" bugs worked out (a 6 month process), and had my 1st Psk31 QSO a couple nights ago on 40m. A lot of fun, except for one very frustrating thing - moving around the window while typing.

In typing, I'm used to using the numeric keypad's arrows with the "shift" key to backspace or advance to correct text that I've already typed, but in my Digipan those arrows don't work.  The "home", "end", "page up" and "page dn" keys work OK, but the up, down, left and right arrows are inoperative. The only way I can move around to correct typing is to move my hand away from the keyboard and use the mouse to move the cursor, which is slow and inconvenient. Also confusing when I forget the issue and use the "shift and arrow keys, and don't get the result I'm used to.

These keys work fine in all other programs except Digipan. Do I have some setting wrong, or am I stuck with this (in which case I may have to dump Digipan)?

Any ideas?  It is Digipan 2.0 and Win XP.

Thanks!

Peter
KDCPA
N5PVL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 07:28:01 AM »

Sounds like you have a personal problem with DigiPan.

My advice would be to find some other program, rather than waste additional time and space here.

Lots of them out there, take your pick.

73 DE Charles, N5PVL
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 01:26:06 PM »

When I'm typing and I press the wrong key I just backspace to remove it. Can you do that ?
It does seem that you have experienced problems with Digipan and this is one of the simplest that you can use. There is a help sheet available if you Google KK7UQ but its a bit late now.

I've found very few problems using Digipan but if you feel like a replacement have a look at FLDigi, it works with XP. There isn't an on board log yet but the next version will have one

Mel  G0GQK
KD6CPA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 07:22:08 PM »

PVL, yes maybe it is a "personal problem"...

Like so many of us who went thru school just before the digital age, I never learned to type by touch.  But, to survive in the modern world, I've had to master this skill, which I've struggled with to (I think) a workable level, but (like my CW) I'm no pro at.  Part of what has made me able to survive the keyboard era is having the ability to go back and correct.  But I haven't learned yet to watch the screen rather than the keyboard as I type.  So to be fairly quick, I'm used to doing my best to type 20-30 characters, then looking back on what I have done and using the <- and other arrows to get me to the spot to change the one or two places where "teh" should be "the" or "adn" that should be "and".

Well, it appears I can't do that in Digipan.  "Backspace and remove" works fine if you're only going back a character or two, which presumes you're typing by touch and watching what's happening on the screen as you type, which a "hunt and pecker" like me can't do...

If I had typed this in a QSO, it would have taken 20 minutes, or had probably 25 typos.  You would have probably fallen asleep or QSYed by now...

Even here in e-Ham, as I get ready to click below on "Preview", I know I will get to see what I'm posting before I do, and then correct the typos...

Is there a solution??

Tks all for the frustration venting session....

73, Peter

N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 05:31:05 AM »

Go into options and UNCHECK the "Arrows for Seek"
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 06:08:13 AM »

why not take the time to learn to touch type. http://www.typingweb.com/  is a free web service that is a typing tutor online.

Then you'll waste less time typing with hunt and peck and have more time for QSO's Smiley

Rick
W4PC
KD6CPA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 04:28:20 PM »

TKS Dee!

That's exactly what I was looking for!!  

I'm wondering why I didn't see it... I poured thru the "Help" files, and posted the same question to teh Yahoo Digipan reflector, to no avail.  

But I figured it ought to be there somewhere...

Tks agin & 73

Peter
KD6CPA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 04:30:24 PM »

See, there-- that's why I need the left arrow --- I typed "teh" for "the" ----

Tks again!

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: