Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D-STAR Special Events Stations  (Read 922 times)
KI4OZG

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2009, 07:31:37 AM »

I'd like to suggest or invite any and all Special Events Stations using D-STAR whether or not connected to a Reflector to post the information about your Special Event on various web-sites in order to further promote your activity.

Recently there have been two Special Events using D-STAR and it was just by chance that I heard them. If those Special Events had been listed somewhere then that could lead to further check-ins and contacts. I know that there is a section on the ARRL web-site announcing Special Events but few if any really state that they will be using the D-STAR mode and one of those two recent Special Events Stations didn't state that.

If we make these announcements more people will see them and then we can further promote the use and versatility of D-STAR. Thanks for taking the time to read this request and 73's to all.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 08:33:47 PM »

I've got to say that working a Special Event station via D-STAR (or echolink or IRLP for that matter) has all the excitement of kissing your Grandma!
KI4OZG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 05:28:31 PM »

Not a problem, but at least there will still be some out there that will follow these principals...

Recognition and enhancement of the value of the    amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.

Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art.

Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communications and technical phases of the art.

Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.

Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill.

Wink
N5PVL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 07:46:38 AM »

I get a giggle when folks communicate via the internet and call it "Ham Radio" because maybe one of the two VOIP chatters involved happens to have a ham ticket.

It really separates the men from the boys, the Hams from the Lids, doesn't it?

Then they quote some lines from PART97, the theory being that repeating the magic words will turn VOIP chats into ham radio somehow, and change Lids over into Hams.

They appear to be the only ones who thinks that all this dancing around the issue will fool anybody... Everybody else is just having a good laugh, shaking their heads at how easily the weak-minded can delude themselves.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL
KI4OZG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 12:33:52 AM »

I'm glad you're so easily amused and "giggle" at such things that you see and feel are lesser or below your self-centered and self-imposed importance.

Your response more shows what separates the men from the boys, as if you were/are a true Ham you'd surely welcome any and all into the hobby rather than resort to such child like antics with such immature name-calling etc. but I'd guess if it makes you feel more superior then you'll continue to do so...

Whether or not I'm a "Lid" or a "Ham" I've spoken with several other HAMS that have far more experience and have been "around the block" far more times than I and perhaps even some of them more than you and yet they seem to happily embrace, encourage and accept the "new" modes of communication and simply enjoy the hobby and all of its aspects. Too bad with your many years of knowledge, experience and exposure to the hobby that you can't just simply accept the continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art. Not to mention your refusal to and for the  continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill.

Have a good day Sir, you take yourself way too serious I did put the little "winky" thing Wink there in my other post just to show it was all in good fun though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: