The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: US price of new Icom 7851  (Read 19938 times)
N1AN

Ignore
« on: April 08, 2015, 04:15:29 PM »

How is it that the new Icom 7851 costs $9100(1,100,000 Yen) in Japan but $14,500 in the US?

Gouging the US market or dealers here taking advantage?
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 07:14:32 PM »

Listening to a guy who owned one in QSO with another ham, he said he paid $16k for his Huh
He said that the limited edition of only 150 units made it a solid investment and that in a year he expected the price to sky rocket when none are available.  I kind of felt sorry for him because their is no way a 16k radio is going to go up in price. Maybe the dealers who bought them in bulk thought the same thing and they are figuring that people will pay through the nose to have one.
They might sell them out but I doubt that there are enough people who are that rich or insane to buy a used one for that kind of money.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 05:34:41 AM »

I would never spend anywhere near $16K for a rig. IMO anyone contemplating this should buy a $1K rig and spend the remaining $15K on several 100 ft towers and associated mono-band yagis, but to each his own.   Wink

Dick AD4U
WB0MCO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 09:38:03 PM »

I was set to buy a IC7800 when they announced the new IC7850/51,so I held off on the purchase. I have a IC7700 so there was no hurry. But at the $14k plus
price no deal. I'am going to wait until the dust sets and maybe prices will get
reasonable. Buy one for a investment,you can't be serious.
Dave
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 11:07:18 PM »

16000 dollars for a radio with poor transmitter IMD and a S-meter thats not calibrated is really ridiculous.  For 16000 dollars you  get a s-meter that wiggles and means nothing. I can buy a accurate spectrum  analyzer  that has 1db accuracy for  a lot less.

Then you still have to buy a box so that you can key a amplifier. It gets worst when you have to buy a primitive interface box like the Icom CT17 CI-V box. Then to make matters worst you have a receiver that does not have true diversity reception.

I would rather buy a Rohde & Schwarz  transceiver, at least you get what you pay for and proper balanced RF engineering specifications between transmitter and receiver performance.

When you  have a unhealthy obsession with receiver performance that cannot really be utilised in the real world and your best world phase noise performance is destroyed by a transmitter whose IMD and spurious noise performance is 60 to 80db worst you  have lost engineering  design common sense. Icom should have spent more time ensuring the transmitter has better spurious and IMD performance. It would have set standard for RF engineering not set a standard for gouging hams while delivering very little transmitter IMD performance. At the end of the day a cheap Icom706 and most other ham  transceiver will render its receiver performance   to a very low average performance.

The other point is that you can buy a SDR radio like the Zeus ZS1 that has excellent IMD performance, pre-distortion, accurate calibrated S-meter, true phase locked diversity receivers and many other advantages for a little over 1000 dollars.

If I bough this radio for this price I would ashamed to admit that I bought it especially when it does not even set an example for excellence in RF design standards.

N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 01:56:47 PM »

You may have a point but don't forget that in the US of A and other countries there are those individuals
that consider $20,000 mere pocket change.  All those units will be sold.
Art
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 03:12:12 AM »

How is it that the new Icom 7851 costs $9100(1,100,000 Yen) in Japan but $14,500 in the US?

Likely import duties/taxes that increase prices.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 06:10:50 AM »

"Dayton flagship". More ridiculously high the price, the more folks will come to the Icom Dayton booth.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 07:47:16 PM »

Makes you wonder what on earth they're thinking marketing-wise.  They seem to be responding to some of the outcries over phase noise etc, but still are adding these band-aid small redesigns to an existing, "getting old" product line, and then creating demand with Rolex watch pricing for "exclusivity" with just a few units to be produced.

Odd.

K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 07:11:19 AM »

Makes you wonder what on earth they're thinking marketing-wise.  They seem to be responding to some of the outcries over phase noise etc, but still are adding these band-aid small redesigns to an existing, "getting old" product line, and then creating demand with Rolex watch pricing for "exclusivity" with just a few units to be produced.

Odd.

Not really "odd." Icom is a "for profit" enterprise, and merchandises what they think will sell to a select group, pricing it accordingly. "Creating demand" for the IC-7850/7851 is no different than Apple creating demand for a new version of an iPhone, or the iWatch. Whatever the market will bear. Just like the people who line up at the Apple Store to get the latest and the greatest, so to will the hams that also want the newest top-of-the-line product, whether they really need it or not. Whether it's worth the price, gouging the public, or not is inconsequential. To some, it's pocket change. To others, they'll take out a loan to buy it....human nature. So what?...more power to them if it makes them happy. I'd love to have one, but it's not in my budget so I won't buy it. I'm content with my "lowly" IC-7600  Smiley  Be happy with what you have.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 04:21:43 PM »

Comparing new Apple products to what Icom is doing with what is essentially Band-aiding an old 7800 design is quite a stretch.  "Whatever the market will bear" is boilerplate and excruciatingly obvious.  My point was that they're trying to create demand for a dated design with some improvements that should have been included in the original, as well as dressing it up like a Rolex and also limiting the numbers so that your "pocket change" buyer example can feel like he's really scored something special and scarce.

Apple designs and markets new products with new internals, updated OS features, apps, etc.  They market to the masses, not to just a few.  And the biggest difference....they put out quality products, and that's why people like them.  Icom is putting lipstick on a pig.

By the way, re: your "be happy with what you have" comment.....did exactly that for years with the 7700.  What a mess that thing was.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 04:28:11 PM by K9MHZ » Logged
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 06:14:07 PM »

Comparing new Apple products to what Icom is doing with what is essentially Band-aiding an old 7800 design is quite a stretch.  "Whatever the market will bear" is boilerplate and excruciatingly obvious.  My point was that they're trying to create demand for a dated design with some improvements that should have been included in the original, as well as dressing it up like a Rolex and also limiting the numbers so that your "pocket change" buyer example can feel like he's really scored something special and scarce.

Apple designs and markets new products with new internals, updated OS features, apps, etc.  They market to the masses, not to just a few.  And the biggest difference....they put out quality products, and that's why people like them.  Icom is putting lipstick on a pig.

By the way, re: your "be happy with what you have" comment.....did exactly that for years with the 7700.  What a mess that thing was.

I didn't necessarily disagree with your comments, just that it's not "odd". Happens all the time with merchandisers. Whatever the market will bear is a valid statement...the result of supply and demand. Icom can do whatever they want...it's up to the "masses" (a relative term) of hams to accept the 7850/7851 and buy it or not. I still think my analogy to Apple is valid, but I respect your opinion.

You apparently don't think much of Icom quality, due to your dissatisfaction with your 7700...sorry 'bout that. That doesn't mean others can't or shouldn't be happy with theirs.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 09:11:41 AM »

Yeah I also love my 7600.
I would love to own a 7851 but not unless it was $6k not 14K or 16k

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 07:34:46 PM »

73s
Rob

One thing they do is come around, eventually.  They've got to be working on something new now.

Dunno.

ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 05:02:11 AM »

I would like to own any radio with:::

1. Decent receiver with just enough performance
2. A clean low IMD transmitter/ low spurious products
3. A calibrated S-meter
4. A direct sampling receiver with low distortion and RX IMD
5. A radio with a audio  PA thats more than 1 watts and has very low audio distortion.

Even spending 15000 dollars cant get you even the basics. If I was buying sports cars and I paid Ferrari or Porsche prices I would probably have all my requirements for  a sports car met. Hams can only dream about specifications even when they pay Ferrari like prices. When you buy a ham radio  with high performance and high price its like you buying a T model Ford while paying Ferrari prices and you never get ultimate performance.

73s
Rob
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: