Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7O1YGF  (Read 11595 times)
K2UFT

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2000, 06:51:08 PM »

Had trouble discerning a pattern of operation used by the 20 CW Op tonite. Any tips, such as how far up the band to call them split will be appreciated
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2000, 03:31:36 AM »

The CW ops seem to move up a bit after each QSO.  On 17M he moved up until he was 10kHz inside the fone band!  He then reversed his direction and started moving back down.  Your first challenge is to spot a station in QSO then deternine the direction he is moving.  Once you get a handle on it, he's real predictable.  Keep dropping your call in just ahead of the last QSO in the appropriate direction.  They splits can be huge, on 15M, I worked him near 21.050 when his transmit frequency was 21.027.  Don't be afraid to tune waaaaay up and listen for other stations calling.  I haven't listened too much on SSB, but the few times I did, the op announced specific listening frequencies, ie: "Now listening between 21.320 and 325."  Good Luck.
W8FAX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2000, 06:00:14 PM »

It,s true. After you listen awhile the pattern is obvious, at least on cw. That's why so many aids to DXing list LISTENING as the number one priority. Just finding the pileup and blindy calling(adding to the QRM) does no good. Usually I will work the DX quite q distance from the main pile. Many use packet clusters too. It's humorous to watch a "worked him on .052 with 1 milliwatt" post on the packet, and watch the main pileup move there. The post is usually a few minutes old, and the station is sure not listening on the posted frequency any more. Like the previous post, FIND THE GUYS HE'S WORKING. This is a real challenge at times, but its the ONLY way to work DX efficiently. Or, just find a frequency in the pile and call till yer rig blows....AL
W2OO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2000, 09:26:48 AM »

Well, this information is very helpful, as I too have been having trouble figuring what this guy is doing. I am rather new to DX and was trying to find the last QSO but am having difficulty (not realizing they were moving up or down the band) and I sure can't see just random calling and adding to the QRM. Thanks for the tips and at least now I may have a chance (small one) at him.

Don w2oo
KA3S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2000, 12:56:24 PM »

Well, luckily the pileups have lessened greatly. The advice given here so far is correct, you need to find out where the dx station is listening. Doing so, I have managed to work these guys on four bands(15,17,20,40) with only a G5rv and 300 watts. The key is finding the last station worked and also discerning what direction the 7o guys are moving. Once that is done, Ive found they are moving in .50kc increments...in other words, if the last station worked was on 18.037.20 the next qso would take place on either 18.037.70 or 18.036.70 depending on direction. When in doubt, plus or minus 1 kc will also work if you cannot find the last station worked. It seems both of the above patterns have existed on all bands except 30 meters, where it seemed they were taking calls at random(probably only stations they could actually hear). But you gotta find the last station worked to have any chance.
Hope this helps some!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: