The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Leixen" brand Chinese mobile VHF/UHF rig. Any good?  (Read 13614 times)
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 08:51:15 PM »

There are options if you don't require cross-band repeat. .... Yaesu FT-7900r, 2 meter, 440, with remote mount kit included, $309.95 shipped HRO.
KT4WO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 05:03:35 PM »

I have a few TYT, Putts-long and Bang-a-gong radios..... I would never say "they work OK" ....They "kinda" work.....
For 30 bucks they do monitor the local rptr....
(I got them just to see how bad they were)

They along with 2 UPC's  from a cracker jack box makes a new ham.

K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 06:14:19 PM »

If you've bought any CCC (cheap Chinese crap), how could you believe this could be any better?
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 09:31:39 PM »

If you've bought any CCC (cheap Chinese crap), how could you believe this could be any better?

Actually, I've found that the "Chinese crap" I've bought hasn't been all that bad. I have an old Degen 1102 from 2004 that is still puttering along, but I don't use it much nowadays. I also have two Baofengs, the UV-5R and the UV-B5. Both are pretty basic (no digital, for example) but since all I need them for is repeater monitoring in case of disaster, they're ok. I ultimately bought a used, old Alinco for the car.
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 07:55:26 AM »

[/quote]
Actually, I've found that the "Chinese crap" I've bought hasn't been all that bad.
[/quote]

I guess some people are satisfied going thru life with stuff that just "isn't all that bad" and some of us ....... well. you know, have higher standards.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 06:14:59 PM »

Actually, I've found that the "Chinese crap" I've bought hasn't been all that bad.
[/quote]

I guess some people are satisfied going thru life with stuff that just "isn't all that bad" and some of us ....... well. you know, have higher standards.
[/quote]

If you have the money and desire to drop $600 on a new Kenwood with all the bells and whistles, wonderful, I'm happy for you and hope you enjoy it. Some of us don't have that sort of cash, nor a desire to have something with tons of features or a detachable faceplate etc.
W2NAP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 06:27:13 PM »

If you have the money and desire to drop $600 on a new Kenwood with all the bells and whistles, wonderful, I'm happy for you and hope you enjoy it. Some of us don't have that sort of cash, nor a desire to have something with tons of features or a detachable faceplate etc.

thats why I will buy something used, vs anything "new" made in china. at least the used older stuff will have some quality behind it.

I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 07:04:28 PM »

Drama... How did we get up to $600? I posted 2 models that are not even close to that amount. .... News-- removable face plate is standard fare on dual band transceivers. .... Why not post this $600 radio, instead of taking stabs in the dark.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 08:49:54 PM »

Drama... How did we get up to $600? I posted 2 models that are not even close to that amount. .... News-- removable face plate is standard fare on dual band transceivers. .... Why not post this $600 radio, instead of taking stabs in the dark.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-012910

Regular price $679. Kenwood also sells a HT for $449. Actually, it looks as if most companies are getting out of dual band radios. I think that the big thing right now is tri band and quad band. Since in some areas 70cm is used by the military, who are primary assignees of that band, hams have had to go to 220 Mhz and other bands.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 08:58:23 PM »

thats why I will buy something used, vs anything "new" made in china. at least the used older stuff will have some quality behind it.

You sound like those old WW2 soldiers in the 1950s who refused to buy anything made in Japan, because of Pearl Harbor and a belief that "Japanese stuff is garbage" (I think they called it "Jap Crap" back then, the more things change...). The fact is that Baofeng and Wouxun (probably made by the same factory) puts out decent basic HT's for a good price. The Leixen and TYT dual band mobiles must be made by a different factory. Japan had a similar problem until they decided to improve quality control. Even then, ham stuff out of Japan had wide variations in quality as late as the 80s, with cold solder joints on some Icoms and Alinco dual band radios dying after a few weeks of use. OTOH, other production runs of the same model worked wonderfully.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 09:44:33 PM »

You asked for others opinions. .... If all you afford is gear from china, maybe you can't afford a hobby. .... You come across as a troll.
KG7CSS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 09:20:26 AM »

I guess  some cannot warp around  their mind we in America in a semi-capitalist  system have the absolute right of trade with anybody  we want including cheap Chinese radio. 

You do not have any right to entitlement to force other to trade with you or interfere with  trade by others. Deal with it.

Just remember we have the right protect ourselves from force I.E the police, court system even up to the second amendment if one life  is threatened;   to defend our ourselves from other who try to  initiate and act of force on one liberty. That goes for anti trade zealots. 
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 11:05:47 AM »

No one said anything against free trade. .... Buy what you want, just don't expect people that know better to validate your purchase. .... And don't bitch and moan when people give you honest audio reports.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2015, 07:16:55 AM »

No one said anything against free trade. .... Buy what you want, just don't expect people that know better to validate your purchase. .... And don't bitch and moan when people give you honest audio reports.

+1
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2015, 07:31:26 AM »

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-012910

Regular price $679. Kenwood also sells a HT for $449. Actually, it looks as if most companies are getting out of dual band radios. I think that the big thing right now is tri band and quad band. Since in some areas 70cm is used by the military, who are primary assignees of that band, hams have had to go to 220 Mhz and other bands.

You're comparing apples to oranges. The Kenwood 710 is a packet/APRS radio complete with a built in TNC and GPS. That's why it's so expensive. The link below shows something more comparable. In fact, it uses the exact same RF deck as the one you listed above. The only difference is the control head, which lacks the TNC and GPS.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-008951

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: