The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Carrier Drop" Scan-Resume mode  (Read 4827 times)
KM3K

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2015, 03:09:34 PM »

Hello,

I have a Yaesu VX-170 but never had a need for its scanning feature.
I'm into getting to understand the various possibilities available there.

The manual has a sentence on page 38, which I don't comprehend.
It reads, "As mentioned previously, some continuous-carrier stations like a Weather Broadcast station will seriously impede scanner operation if you are using the "Carrier Drop" Scan-Resume mode, as the incoming signal will not pause long enough for the transceiver to resume scanning."

OK, FM is continuous-carrier; no problem there.
But beyond that, I could not explain that sentence to anybody, so I'm asking for help.

Furthermore, I cannot find anywhere in the manual where anything in that sentence was "mentioned previously"; perhaps somebody else can.

BTW, googling did not come up with any hits that explained this sentence for me.

TIA for any reply.
73 Jerry KM3K
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 07:37:51 PM »

Hi Jerry,

What they are talking about is when you add some kind of broadcast like the National Weather Service, It will listen for a period of time and then finally start scanning again. You will notice the same thing when you listen to a repeater in the scan mode.

Now if you listen to simplex, or like a police department with short transmissions, it will only stay on the freq as long as someone has the mic keyed and are transmitting.

What they are trying to say is that as long as there is a carrier signal, the scan mode will stay on the freq until it times out, which slows down the scanning from freq to freq. It is waiting for the transmitting station to stop before it moves on scanning. Or it stays there for a period of time, which on some radios is programmable, and then moves on. But when it comes back to that freq, and someone is still transmitting, it will start the timing process again.

In my opinion it would be worded better to say continuous transmitting station instead of continuous carrier station.

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 10:09:25 PM »

Furthermore, I cannot find anywhere in the manual where anything in that sentence was "mentioned previously"; perhaps somebody else can.

They are referring to page 36, 'Setting the Scan-Resume Technique' where you find it under 'Busy'.
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 06:31:52 AM »

In my opinion it would be worded better to say continuous transmitting station instead of continuous carrier station.
Thanks,W9FIB, for the post; your correction cleared up the entire topic for me last evening and then I found the reference to page 36; so obvious after your reply.
I've noted the manual accordingly.
73 Jerry KM3K

They are referring to page 36, 'Setting the Scan-Resume Technique' where you find it under 'Busy'.
Roger, roger...thanks for confirming that I got it right.
After W9FIB's post, I did find the page 36 material last night.
W9FIB has the right idea for the wording.

73 Jerry KM3K
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 06:44:58 AM »

It is not easy to write technical manuals. And it is even harder if you are thinking in a foreign language. So be generous and don't bash them to hard  Grin
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 12:42:52 PM »

It is not easy to write technical manuals.
Very true; been there, done that many times.

And it is even harder if you are thinking in a foreign language.
I had enough problems writing clearly in English.
The difficulty of writing in another language just boggles my mind.

73 Jerry KM3K
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: