Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm not rare DX but can't I keep the Frequency?  (Read 1349 times)
N1GMV

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2002, 08:21:02 AM »

I noticed this problem recently.

I would be on a clear frequency calling CQ-DX and begin working stations from Europe and Middle-East one after another.

It seems as soon as I get a rare DX station and clear with him half the United States comes on the frequency calling him. In the past I have simply let the dx station have the frequency and move away. Which was cute as I was the start of a giant Pile-up :-).

But when it started happening on CW last night I was a little TO'd to say the least since it took me a while to find a quiet one. Do I continue to call CQ on "my" frequency? I would like to be polite but do not want to condone stations simply jumping in on an occupied frequency.

Has anyone else experienced this recently?
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2002, 09:40:04 PM »

Yes, of course you can keep the frequency.  Nice to be polite, but how polite is a station being to you that would steal your operating frequency?  I've had this problem many times on 20CW.  I guess lots of stateside stations don't realize or can't believe DX will actually pile-up on a stateside station.  All it takes is an open band, an average tribander at 50', a 100 watt rig, and a willingness to pick through a bunch of S2 to S5 signals, and you can run your own pile-up.  Fortunately, most DX stations realize the situation and move off your frequency when done unless you obviously relinquish it to them.  The sharp DX op will give a quick "up 3" or something similar and move the caller off your frequency.  Then you can continue with your own "QRZ?"

There are many DX stations that hunt states and  counties.  They like to take advantage of strong US signals and often will call you until band conditions change.  I've worked strings of EU's and JA's hunting QSO's for one award or another.  Often, these stations are operating under conditions that won't allow them to run their own pile-ups... limited power, small restricted antennas, recycled military gear.  They have the same problems we do here when it comes to putting up big, effective antennas.  They rely on calling others to fill their log books.  These guys QSL religiously...like it or not...so be prepared.

I was surprised to see this subject debated recently on the FISTS reflector.  Some ops actually took the position that a US station should ALWAYS QSY after a QSO with any DX station.  I think that is not only unnecessary, but ridiculous.  So, not everyone agrees with my opinion, obviously.  I don't see why some DX station, who would like to work me for a new state or county, should have to chase me down (to who knows what frequency) after each and every contact!  After all, WE are DX to folks somewhere else in the world!
W4BQF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2002, 08:05:36 AM »

I agree with K0RS. Since your CQ was answered by DX, then, in my opinion, that frequency is yours until you choose to relinquish it. If someone else, who wants to talk to the DX, is so impolite that they call the DX without your indicating you (or the DX) will QSY, then the new station is in error. This may not always be the correct solution, but when I'm in your situation where I have carefully searched for a clean frequency before calling CQ, have a DX contact, and then someone jumps on and calls the DX, I just send QRL and then QRZ DX. If the offending new station continues, then I crank my little amp to 1.5KW out and call CQ again. If the offending station can work through my signal, thats fine. What this accomplishes is that it now puts two poor operators on the same frequency, the offending station and ME!! However if I can find the offending station later, especially if he has a 'new' call, I will try to talk to him and try to help him with operating proceedures.
Tom/W4BQF
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2002, 04:53:59 PM »

Normally it's the responsibility of the DX station you just finished working, who is now being called by someone else, to advise the new caller to QSY.  And that's exactly what usually happens, if the DX station is a seasoned operator.  If he's a newbie, he may not know any better.

I am not at all annoyed when this occurs, and provide a reasonable time (10-15 seconds is all it should take) for the DX station to acknowledge the new caller and drag him to another frequency.  I can wait 10 or 15 seconds.  If it seems like this isn't happening, I'll chime in, myself, and recommend they take the QSO elsewhere.

WB2WIK/6
WA4DOU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2002, 10:47:28 AM »

I don't let things like this bother me. Often times the dx will move and take those calling him with him. If he doesn't I move. The only alternative is confrontation and I don't see the situation as dictating that.
WA4DOU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2002, 10:49:22 AM »

Meant to say that if he doesn't move then I do. No big deal and certainly not worth having any sort of confrontation over.
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2002, 07:10:07 PM »

If for some reason, you got a "rare DX station", you don't have to worry about this situation as it is VERY RARE that rare DX answers a CQ, or enters into a pile up on a state side station.  What you went through is an EXTREMELY RARE event.  As such, you probably won't ever go through it again.

But, if it ever does happen gain, that a P5, 7o, vu7, vu4, kp1, kh7k, BS7 etc calls you, be prepared for the melee, and know you will have to move.

You could take the view that you were able to draw the rare DX into transmitting, thus giving others the chance to work it (a Positive outlook), or give it a negative spin--I worked hard to find a clear frequency, and now others have taken over MY frequency.

Also, take a look at where you are in the CW sub band.  If you are around 14.025-30, the other ops in that area are probably going to pounce on ANY DX that shows up there, simply because they don’t have access to much DX.  If you are 14.00-010, you are in a DX “window”.  Try moving your play area away from those areas, like 14.010-14.024

If you really want to keep YOUR frequency, you certainly can sit there and call QRZ or CQ.  But, in the long run, I think you will have a lot more fun with your hobby, by simply going up or down a few from where the pile-up on the DX has started.

If you are going to swim, for enjoyment, in a fast moving stream, it is less fatiguing to swim with the flow, not against it.

OR, if you want to pick a fight, get into a pile up, and figure out how to out maneuver the other ops—much more fun.

Have FUN
Bob
AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2002, 12:19:47 AM »

Well, I would say it's up to you.  If you just want to give up the freq then go ahead.  Theres nothing wrong with that.  But, it was your freq to begin with so if you want it then you should keep it.  Tell them to QSY.  Be as forcefull as you need to be, while still try to be courteous.  Not that the others were courteous to you.  This happened to me the oher day on PSk31.  It was only a JA.  I gave up the feq.  It is so easy to find another one on PSK and I didn't feel like a confrontation then.  

73, Jim
AD6WL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: