The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 50 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM IC-7300  (Read 267368 times)
K5TED

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2015, 06:26:06 AM »

Here's what we know about this rig so far...

Little to nothing. Only the scant details outlined in the flyer. It's not even type accepted yet.

We do see a comparison to the IC7200 on the flyer. This could signal a similar price point, placing it either just above or just below the 7200. A 'premium' entry level rig, as opposed to the IC 718.

All mode 7300 vs SSB/CW/AM/RTTY 7200?

Large touchscreen plus FM vs plain display, no FM. Is FM important?

Shiny knobs, lightweight case vs rugged case, knockaround pseudo field enclosure?

The phase noise comparison is probably of little importance to the market at this point, but 7300 promises to be better than 7200. What does this mean to you?

There are a few videos out on the internet that give us an idea of how the SDR architecture is represented in the user interface. There doesn't seem to be anything on the front or rear panel that screams, "SDR". However, the real-time panafall puts this tabletop rig in a different category from any other. This is the first physical manifestation of the conceptual 'affordable' 100w 'SDR with knobs' many have described as their holy grail.

It lacks some features such as separate HF and 6m ports. It does have a USB port that is described as rig control and audio, so it is entirely possible but not probable there will be some I/Q or downconverted IF output available there to feed an external SDR application. Is it more than likely it is just for digi modes?

Is built-in RTTY decode important? RTTY memory keyer?

If the IC 7300 comes in at $1200, does the addition of FM, panafall and large color screen make it a killer? The radio Icom compared, the IC 7200, now goes for about $800. So, they really aren't comparably priced. 33% is a significant difference for a large part of the Amateur radio market, even in entry level and low end base tabletop rigs.

If the IC 7300 can match even the receive performance of a Flex 1500, it will be outperforming (according to Sherwood) currently available rigs of substantially higher price tag, albeit with no frills.

Maybe that's the key feature set of the IC 7300. No frills. Potentially great receive performance. Good ergonomics. Low price.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 06:29:03 AM by K5TED » Logged
WE1X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 06:46:41 PM »

I seem to recall the 7300's dimensions are about the same as or smaller the TS-590S. If so, I wonder how effective per detail and resolution it's bands cope will be. Awfully cramped.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 10:52:07 PM »

IC-7300 has the same size display. 4.3", as a Yaesu FTDX-1200 and FTDX-3000.
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 09:28:50 AM »

I would rather keep my current radio plus IF tap into my softrock that gives me full 192khz in software, than a tiny panadaper on a tiny little screen.   

They obviously are generating IQ in the radio, its idiotic if they dont provide an IQ out.  And not 48khz, something at least 96khz or better.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 12:59:06 PM »

Idiotic? Perhaps, only to those who are looking for full computer SDR experience.  There are several radios out there that provide this.

The IC-7300 seems to be aimed at those who desire the SDR performance, but don't care to tie a PC to it.

If a radio doesn't offer 'all  the possible, imaginable, options', then is it a bad radio? OR, are there some folks who simply cannot be appeased, require unreasonable and unrealistic functionality, and will likely never adopt any new technology that costs more than a few bucks?
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 04:58:02 PM »

Idiotic? Perhaps, only to those who are looking for full computer SDR experience.  There are several radios out there that provide this.

The IC-7300 seems to be aimed at those who desire the SDR performance, but don't care to tie a PC to it.

If a radio doesn't offer 'all  the possible, imaginable, options', then is it a bad radio? OR, are there some folks who simply cannot be appeased, require unreasonable and unrealistic functionality, and will likely never adopt any new technology that costs more than a few bucks?

So you think an I/Q output from the 7300 is "unreasonable and unrealistic functionality"?  That is a joke.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 06:43:49 PM »

Idiotic? Perhaps, only to those who are looking for full computer SDR experience.  There are several radios out there that provide this.

If a radio doesn't offer 'all  the possible, imaginable, options', then is it a bad radio? OR, are there some folks who simply cannot be appeased, require unreasonable and unrealistic functionality, and will likely never adopt any new technology that costs more than a few bucks?

So you think an I/Q output from the 7300 is "unreasonable and unrealistic functionality"?  That is a joke.

Aside from the Alinco, which other sub-$1.5k 100w HF All Mode tabletop knobbed rig has factory I/Q output? It would be nice to have, even if only 48khz, but in a $1200 rig that is designed to be the first foray into a 'PC-less SDR', it is unlikely, and perhaps unreasonable, and unrealistic. Same for the external monitor output. Nice feature to have, but.... Aside from the Icom 7000, which other current sub $1.5k  100w HF All Mode rig has external monitor output? Not happening. Not at issue at this price point. Maybe the IC-7500...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 06:56:13 PM by K5TED » Logged
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 07:34:08 PM »

Idiotic? Perhaps, only to those who are looking for full computer SDR experience.  T

I meant it as a 'they already have the data' due to this radios design, and it would hardly cost them anything to just output it to a jack on the back and they could have added this good capability/feature for little additional cost.  

It tells me  that Icom really does not listen to their customers just like Yaesu does not listen.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 03:18:41 AM »

Idiotic? Perhaps, only to those who are looking for full computer SDR experience.  T

I meant it as a 'they already have the data' due to this radios design, and it would hardly cost them anything to just output it to a jack on the back and they could have added this good capability/feature for little additional cost.  

It tells me  that Icom really does not listen to their customers just like Yaesu does not listen.

100% agree
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 10:46:01 AM »

Aside from the Alinco, which other sub-$1.5k 100w HF All Mode tabletop knobbed rig has factory I/Q output?

KX3

Ignacy
N1EU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 11:44:11 AM »

KX3 is far less than 100W
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 05:27:54 PM »

100% agree

Having incorporated an integrated USB soundcard scheme in the IC-7300, it would be, seemingly, easy for Icom engineering to have made internally available the I/Q as a USB device record input to feed SDR software. However, there is no indication from the available literature to establish this one way or the other. I'm guessing no... 
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 01:21:14 PM »

Its a direct sample rig, not a sound card based rig.
I hope no one would be dumb enough to bring out sound card based stuff anymore...
AB7R

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 01:58:30 PM »

I think he is just talking about the ability to pipe the audio via the USB line instead of a traditional line in/out;  Not a soundcard to do the IQ work as in the old SDR-1000.

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 06:17:09 PM »

Its a direct sample rig, not a sound card based rig.
I hope no one would be dumb enough to bring out sound card based stuff anymore...

The point is that considering the teaser from Icom states the USB is for digital operation, making it a 'soundcard', that it would be easy to also provide the downconverted I/Q stream for demod with existing software like HDSDR, or... Maybe a Icom SDR console app. Not holding my breath on that one...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 50 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: