The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM IC-7300  (Read 267324 times)
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #735 on: September 25, 2017, 11:40:46 AM »

I think the 7300 has the best noise blanker and noise reduction I have tried so far.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #736 on: September 25, 2017, 11:57:12 AM »

I think the 7300 has the best noise blanker and noise reduction I have tried so far.

I agree.  I thought the NR was "good" on the 756pro3, but the 7300 is way better.  I got the 7300 as a replacement for the FT450at which was my "spare" or backup rig.  It took me about a day to make the 756pro3 my backup rig, and the 7300 my main rig.  It was a little disconcerting that the "main rig" costs less than 1/2 what my "backup rig" did, but it is what it is.   And yes the Ft891 is not a bad rig, and a heck of a value at $579.  It has a LOT of features.  Yeah it is 10 lbs i a 5 lb bag and yeah it has some menu's, but you have to expect that.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #737 on: September 30, 2017, 08:49:53 AM »

For at least two years I have had no issues with local EMI/RFI at my qth but last month there has been some emi I have been getting which is s5-7 almost peaking every 5khz on 80 meters, it doesnt efect the higher bands but 80 and below its a real pita. Now enters my new radio, a nice little box called the 7300 and between the NR and careful adjustment of the NB it makes copy of weak signal far improved. In this past week since I have taken delivery this little radio has totally amazed me, I have only use the pre amp#1 on 10&6 meters below these bands its more than plenty sensitive, with the RF gain control which BTW works very well as an adjustable attenuation control that works totally different compared to older non sdr rigs is very well thought out. I have never seen that overload indicator come on yet even with a ham 1/2 mile away running 1kw on the same frequency, I feel some of these YouTube video's are FOS showing this radio overload but if you look at there display they have pre amp 2 engaged. The antenna tuner is fast, the pan adapter is slick and can easily be modified in the menus plus the added bonus of the transmit display is slick. What really is impressive is placing the RX next to a real strong signal and tune off just a bit and its like dead quiet on either ssb or cw. I am still learning the radio but I wish I would have bought it sooner. 
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #738 on: October 02, 2017, 05:15:11 PM »

I feel that I just don't have enough OP time under my belt yet plus it has not seen the likes of a major contest but this 7300 has totally impressed me, the RX section is excellent, it stands up to strong signals from what I can tell a tad better than my FTDX3000, cw is sweet but so is the 3K with the optional 300Hz roofing filter but the ssb audio is again better than the 3K not by allot but enough to notice it. The transmitter is cleaner and for rag chew and dx it is excellent but for pile up busting lets say the FTDX has that meat grinding pile up busting audio that cuts threw like a sharp knife, Yaesu has always had there speech prepossessing and alc of there radio's set to do the dirty deed during DX contesting but we will see during the CQWWPH in a few weeks. For those fellows that may have had trouble right out of the box just do a factory re set, I had done that with mine cause I could not get any alc action with the stock mic, called the factory and he told me to re set the radio as we spoke on the phone and that was it. Apparently the SDR package has greater affect as far as handling or how it has been shipped and the box was in perfect shape when delivered but for almost two weeks it has been fine. The display is fine but I only wish they would have a way to get it up on a larger monitor cause the N1MM PLus crap display is for hunger using there logging program is ok for contest but that spectrum display feature is a Tonka Toy. When and when I do buy Icoms software for remote operation I try there spectrum display but from what I have seen its not much better, its a dam shame they made no provisions for an external monitor. When I want an external pan adapter I use my FTDX3000 with a Noble Radio PAN3K for hardware plus HRD and HDSDR up on my two 24' monitors in the shack which give Flex like resolution. This is not an entry level radio by no means, the Tx and RX capability is way beyond entry level. For those barking up a tree about the overload issue just turn the Pre Amps off, this radio is plenty enough sensitive on HF without any need of its pre amp stage and only maybe when doing week signal work on 10 or 6 meters that I have placed Pre Amp 1 on plus with a ham down the street less than a mile away who is 40 plus over I have never seen the overload light ever come on.
Now I know why Electraft is running scared and comparing there KX3 plus the K3S against the 7300, I owned a K3 back three years ago and this radio is far nicer to use and listen to for hours on end compared to that hissy distorted audio that came out of that K3 plus that K3 is one ugly duck, yes Icom did it right.
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #739 on: October 02, 2017, 10:30:53 PM »

I feel that I just don't have enough OP time under my belt yet plus it has not seen the likes of a major contest but this 7300 has totally impressed me, the RX section is excellent, it stands up to strong signals from what I can tell a tad better than my FTDX3000, cw is sweet but so is the 3K with the optional 300Hz roofing filter but the ssb audio is again better than the 3K not by allot but enough to notice it. The transmitter is cleaner and for rag chew and dx it is excellent but for pile up busting lets say the FTDX has that meat grinding pile up busting audio that cuts threw like a sharp knife, Yaesu has always had there speech prepossessing and alc of there radio's set to do the dirty deed during DX contesting but we will see during the CQWWPH in a few weeks. For those fellows that may have had trouble right out of the box just do a factory re set, I had done that with mine cause I could not get any alc action with the stock mic, called the factory and he told me to re set the radio as we spoke on the phone and that was it. Apparently the SDR package has greater affect as far as handling or how it has been shipped and the box was in perfect shape when delivered but for almost two weeks it has been fine. The display is fine but I only wish they would have a way to get it up on a larger monitor cause the N1MM PLus crap display is for hunger using there logging program is ok for contest but that spectrum display feature is a Tonka Toy. When and when I do buy Icoms software for remote operation I try there spectrum display but from what I have seen its not much better, its a dam shame they made no provisions for an external monitor. When I want an external pan adapter I use my FTDX3000 with a Noble Radio PAN3K for hardware plus HRD and HDSDR up on my two 24' monitors in the shack which give Flex like resolution. This is not an entry level radio by no means, the Tx and RX capability is way beyond entry level. For those barking up a tree about the overload issue just turn the Pre Amps off, this radio is plenty enough sensitive on HF without any need of its pre amp stage and only maybe when doing week signal work on 10 or 6 meters that I have placed Pre Amp 1 on plus with a ham down the street less than a mile away who is 40 plus over I have never seen the overload light ever come on.
Now I know why Electraft is running scared and comparing there KX3 plus the K3S against the 7300, I owned a K3 back three years ago and this radio is far nicer to use and listen to for hours on end compared to that hissy distorted audio that came out of that K3 plus that K3 is one ugly duck, yes Icom did it right.

All true.
Like I said earlier;  I have an FT-DX3000.  It's a fine radio indeed.
After one year of using my IC-7300 for various digital modes, RTTY contests, SSB, Am rally, etc,
I simply can't find a reason not to love it.   It kicks ass, and it takes a beating, and it does not
break a sweat.

So much fun to use, compared to Yaesu Menu Hell.
Again, the Yaesu is "mighty fine electronics", with the curse of a Moron Engineer
for the "user interface" (sic).

Cheers,

Neal
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #740 on: October 03, 2017, 02:13:29 PM »

My most used modes are SSB and some CW and I find the Yaesu does a fine job but when you go to 75m and either rag chew or DX the NR plus NB are a cut above the Yaesu's 3000. I have never had any issues with the Yaesu menus after all after owning three different 1000MP's this one is easy but I con=m has always shinned on user interface with there menu system e will see w the 7300 does against the 3000 in the first night of the CQWW phone weekend, that will be a good tests as far as which RX hold up. I like both radio's they both have some excellent fine points but this 7300 is one hell of a radio worth every friggin dime you pay for it and with Icom selling 20K world wide that seems to be a winner.
KENNETH

Ignore
« Reply #741 on: October 17, 2017, 01:03:57 PM »

Anyone understand what is his conclusion was? Could not understand all of it.  Thanks 73
https://youtu.be/9uSGRT_rAS8   
W1BG

Ignore
« Reply #742 on: October 23, 2017, 07:36:26 AM »

I will also test out using the 7300 antenna tuner in line on the RX side and see how it may improve the use of that radio during a FD site type .... {snip}.

Before passing final judgment I think you may discover (as I did) that a legacy external ATU is going to do a better job of isolation.  Our club has historically used legacy (external) tuners in line with every rig at FD as one of the station setup requirements, with the result that we're generally able to use practically any rig in a multi-multi environment with good results, including the 7300. And yes, the more expensive tuners do in fact perform demonstrably better in this "preselector" type of application though as always, YMMV.

73 - Bill
 W1BG

The Pay-TV Industry may not hold the patent on poor customer service, but Comcast in particular has made an art form of it.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #743 on: October 24, 2017, 07:06:52 AM »

If you look threw the You Tube video's you will come across one that uses the internal tuner to help with out of band interference so why not use the internal tuner during operations like FD.
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #744 on: October 24, 2017, 12:49:45 PM »

I think, because of the size and the type of components, the built in tuner has a much lower Q.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: