Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alpha 9500  (Read 758 times)
N6PSE

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2006, 01:44:55 PM »

Anyone get their hands on the new Alpha 9500 yet?
As I recall when they were initially announced Alpha said they would be available late January '06.

Yesterday they invited me to put my name in for one with a shipping date in July, so they must be selling them!

Paul de N6PSE
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 03:17:07 PM »

When somebody's selling something with a 6-month lead time, that's unobtainium for sure.

Usually means it hasn't really been built yet, maybe not even finished with the design yet.  Or a very undercapitalized operation that cannot fulfill orders because they can't buy the parts.

I'd be careful, either way.

WB2WIK/6

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 08:25:23 PM »

Steve's (WIK) advice is good for ANY purchase or new vendture (not just Alpha's).  
Regarding Alpha, I was actually in their Boulder, CO facility Friday before Labor Day 2005 weekend (my sister lives in Denver area).  
Picked up some parts for a couple of Alpha restorations/repairs I was performing.

The Crosslink side of the building was being emptied of office furniture for a new tenant.  
The Alpha side of the facility was running normally (although some staff were getting ready for 3-day weekend).  
They had an ETO Alpha 77Dx (serial #2) in for refurbishment/refresh for its new owner.  

Parts of the 9500 prototype (control cards, etc) there in test .. the 9500 ads had not hit the magazines yet.

w9gb
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 06:59:49 PM »

Alpha has about 15+ employees. They have come far in the year since the split from Cross link. Gorden, part owner, is a meticulous engineer and waiting for the 9500 to be perfect is a small price to pay for long term reliability. Very few amplifiers have had the continuous run that alphas has had with their designs. Look at what happened with the Orion when it was pulled from the oven to soon.  When I ordered the first SteppIR four element beam I had to wait five months before it arrived,  the rest is history.
K1ZZI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 05:38:27 PM »

Last I heard they were going to start shipping pre-orders this month (February). I'm 119th on their list and I'm being told April. My order was placed early November.

Ralph - K1ZZI
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 07:21:49 PM »

Thanks all for the replies. I am going to see how they are reviewed on eham.net and then perhaps I will make my order too!

73's  Paul N6PSE
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 07:21:09 PM »

Alpha says they are about to ship their initial set of orders for the 9500. It will be interesting to see what kind of reports they get.

Paul N6PSE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: