The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Differences between the FTM-400DR vs FTM-400XDR ?  (Read 9545 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2016, 04:05:33 PM »

FTM-400DR vs FTM-400XDR

Is cross band capabilities the only difference between the two?

Or is there more?

Is it worth spending more to get the FTM-400XDR as opposed to the FTM-400DR?

Thanks

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
AD0LR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 08:57:00 PM »

I think the difference is a better GPS on the FTM-400XDR.  It has a faster first time to fix GPS signals.

Some users of the FTM-400DR have stated the GPS lockup was slow.  I have a FTM-400DR and the GPS lockup time is not an issue for me, I do not need a quick lockup.

Overall I like the radio.  Yaesu's menu could be better laid out.  When traveling manually entering repeaters, I do not like their setup to enter the tones frequency and the setup to enable the tones.  It should all happen in one place, not multiple menus in different locations.

Hope this helps,

Brian
AD0LR
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 05:50:03 PM »

Thanks for the reply. Currently with the rebate, the FTM-400DR is less expensive ($409) than the FT-2DR ($429) at HRO.

Have you used the photo/mic?

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
AD0LR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 12:25:36 AM »

No I did not get the photo mic.  I guess I felt I would never use it due to having a cell phone with a whole lot better camera.  I know if the cell networks fail, I can't send a pict. 

I did get the Bluetooth adapter.  I have used it with my bluparrot headset.  When paired all radio traffic comes to the headset, when I want to speak I touch the multi-function button on the headset for transmit.  It works well and I have used it before.  It is nice when traveling, kids don't have to hear radio traffic or if I get out for fuel I don't have to stop the QSO.

Brian
ADØLR
CHIEFWILNEL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 08:53:47 PM »

anyone know where I can get a DR , the xdr is a little pricy for me
KD5BVX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 05:44:05 AM »

anyone know where I can get a DR , the xdr is a little pricy for me

I believe the DR is only available on the used market now.  In my searching I've only seen the XDR listed at retailers now.  So...the classifieds here, on QRZ, eBay, or maybe in the used section on Amazon (just search for it on there and see, not sure) would be your best options.  Probably one of those things you have to check daily for a listing and then jump on it when you see one listed.  Best of luck!

Mark
FORMER_K2OOL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 11:43:18 AM »

I have no idea why they replaced the DR with the XDR my friend has the DR and it picks the sats up great even indoors!
If you can get the DR cheaper,go for it.Its a flashy,eye candy radio.
KD5BVX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 01:08:31 PM »

I have no idea why they replaced the DR with the XDR my friend has the DR and it picks the sats up great even indoors!
If you can get the DR cheaper,go for it.Its a flashy,eye candy radio.

Except that by your statement (regarding the satellites) you know why they mainly replaced it: they updated the GPS chip.  I can verify that the DR was very, very slow to "lock" (sometimes 15 minutes) and the XDR is almost instantaneous (a few seconds).  Night and day difference.  It is sad that it was such a needed update/upgrade, as it should have had the better chip from the beginning. 

A hand full of users have said here and there that theirs didn't have any issues but by monitoring various forums and reading numerous reviews it was a very very common problem that needed fixing.  Again, the only bad and disappointing part of it is that it needed to be fixed in the first place as they should have had the new chip in the original. 

Mark
NC5P

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 01:13:06 PM »

I use My 400DR at home so I don't really need high GPS performance.  It is true that the old chip is pretty flaky.  I also found that the receiver LO on one 440 repeater frequency would wipe out the GPS receiver.  Moving the RF deck further away made it go away.  I think there was a harmonic leaking out of the box just enough to take it out. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: