Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keying Ameritron AL-811  (Read 692 times)
AC4R

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2007, 09:28:52 AM »

I am running a Ameritron AL-811 with my Kenwood TS 570-d, and would like to use the amp with a TenTec Scout 555 I have. The Ten Tec has no provision to key the amp. I do use a mic with a foot switch for the Scout. Would there be any problem with running a 2 conductor line from the amp relay jack on the back of the amp directly to the same foot switch the mic is using , so when you key the mic you are also keying the amp ?

Thanks

AC4R
Fred
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 11:31:42 AM »

Yes you can assuming that both the amp key jack and Scout key jack have positive voltage which is switched to ground and you use a diode in each line to prevent the voltage from the amp from getting into the Scout and vice versa.  The cathodes should be toward the switch and the chassis grounds of the amp and Scout should be connected (as they will be by the RF cabling).  Since the voltage is low any of the 1N400X (1N4007 etc.) silicon rectifiers will work.
If you get the diodes backwards it just won't work, but won't hurt anything.
Good Luck Allen
KD5NCO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 11:57:04 AM »

Also

If your foot switch is aging and you are thinking you need a new one soon... one of the Heil foot switches has two micro switches and two cables-- the second for keying an amp or other external accesory. If I recal correctly it is set up to key the amp first followed by the PTT
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 01:51:12 PM »

For your situation, the Heil 2-switch foot switch would be ideal and the easiest solution to impliment.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 05:46:53 PM »

I also agree.  I use the Heil footswitch with my IC-738 and AL-1200.  Nary a hiccup in a decade.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: