The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Voice Fox Boxes from older equipment.  (Read 13615 times)
KB9CFH

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2016, 09:09:41 PM »

Any interest in building voice fox boxes built out of older VOX microphones and attenuator , and low power HTs or input into mobiles. The controller is an MP3 player with files set up to control and ID the Hunt.

Since everybody's looking but nobody's replying here goes with the basics.
Take an MP3 player. Build an attenuator with a 330 ohm resistor and a 1uF 25volt tant cap. + side toward the 330 resistor for each channel. tie the outputs of the 2 channels together if you want mono. Get an old VOX headset, RADIO SHACK 19-312,19-316, 21-1832 work. Open the case and look for the timing cap. Usually 2.2uF or 3.3uF tant or electrolytic. Either replace them with 10uF caps or parallel a couple of 4.7uF caps to increase the timing to where it doesn't chop during the taunt. For the output to the radio, if your using an HT, leave things alone and just plug it in to the radio. If your going to use a mobile, there is a 2.2K resistor--surface mount, raise one end of it and keep the small output pin for the TX audio, take the other side of the resistor--it will be tied to a transistor-- and feed it to the larger output pin, the one that's used for the headphones, this is your PTT switch. Feed it to something like a HTX 200 and you have a 200 mw or with external supply a 2 watt fox box.
For control, the MP3 player is the key. They call for about 10 to 15 seconds of audio each minuet so make up blank files of 1 min. duration. Then mix the audio taunt into the file at the start of the min. Use a VOX kicker to open the mic up so you don't loose some of the audio. This way you have even length files . Since you need FCC ID every 10 min. put a voice id file each 10 files. You'll need 180 files for a 3 hour hunt. If longer just multiply by 60 how long you need.
DON'T USE THE SHUFFLE SETTING. You can do a straight thru run for most hunts. If you run short and want to repeat you can, BUT, keep the files in the same location. If you shuffle, the ID files and any timed taunts get scrambled.
General taunts are like  " YOU COULDN'T FIND YOUR WAY OUT OF A PAPER BAG !"  " YOU COULDN'T FIND A MUDPUDDLE IF YOU FELL IN IT! "  .  Timed taunts are " I'VE BEEN OUT HERE 2 HOURS. DID YOU GO TO A PARTY AND FORGET ME?"  " IT'S 30 MIN. LATER THAN THE LAST TIME YOU ASKED ME WHAT TIME IT WAS!"  These you don't want to shuffle.

The Biggest problem so far has been coming up with enough WISE CRACKS  to cover a hunt.

OTHER MICS to look for:  Alinco EME10, EME11---( these are internally powered and need a power feed from the radio.) the RS mics have aaa batteries. MAXON has one out with a rechargeable battery in it. I pulled the battery and put a aa cell holder on it to power the VOX.
Look for the 2.2uF or the lower value cap ( the 10uF are usually coupling and filter caps) and the 2.2k resistor--labeled 222 on surface mount.

I built a bunch of PICCONs and TT3s with POCKET FOX chips but I kept running into nobody knowing morse code.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 09:47:20 PM by KB9CFH » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: