The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LoTW / QSL Received  (Read 249918 times)
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #1200 on: October 04, 2017, 07:58:44 AM »

1. Not to my knowledge Tim.

2. Yes, I click on each one.

3.Yes, I download to my logging program.

Maybe someone else more information on this subject then I have!

73, Obie N5VYS

WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #1201 on: October 04, 2017, 08:25:34 PM »

Well, I have some Python scripts that can post-process the LOTW downloads.  These, in turn, can be imported into a spreadsheet.  I've used it to locate IOTAs.

Obviously, that's not a solution for everyone.  The LOTW report, with its multiple lines per record, is particularly resistant to simple, "everyone can do it" post-processing, such as directly importing into spreadsheets.

I don't really know of another way.  If it isn't on their own queries, you basically are going to struggle.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #1202 on: October 04, 2017, 08:31:55 PM »

It looks like LOTW is suffering some sort of outage.

If I read the queue status correctly, it shows only a handful of logs, and maybe none at all, have been processed in the last several hours.
KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #1203 on: October 04, 2017, 09:07:34 PM »

Yes... I was wondering why my small file of 20 some QSOs had not been processed since it has been several hours since I uploaded it. Like you said, must be an outage.

73 de KM4SII - Mason
W6OU

Ignore
« Reply #1204 on: October 05, 2017, 12:04:36 PM »

HD8M (Galapagos) QSL cards received.
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #1205 on: October 06, 2017, 09:52:03 AM »

HK3JJH, 2004-10-30  10M via LoTW, thanks.

Obie N5VYS
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1206 on: October 06, 2017, 10:41:25 AM »

Well, I have some Python scripts that can post-process the LOTW downloads.  These, in turn, can be imported into a spreadsheet.  I've used it to locate IOTAs.

Obviously, that's not a solution for everyone.  The LOTW report, with its multiple lines per record, is particularly resistant to simple, "everyone can do it" post-processing, such as directly importing into spreadsheets.

I don't really know of another way.  If it isn't on their own queries, you basically are going to struggle.

I have a set of Perl scripts for parsing/generating ADIF, and a MySQL database that integrates my log with LOTW and Clublog. Also do QSL response printing etc.

All that said - I do not currently pay any attention to the IOTA fields although a random sample of ADIF downloads from LOTW makes it look like they are often usefully correct.

I am a big supporter of ADIF but I can see, that for many purposes maybe a CSV file would be easier for folks to process and pivot in a spreadsheet.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #1207 on: October 06, 2017, 11:13:57 AM »

I am a big supporter of ADIF

In this case, the utility of a standard, any standard, far exceeds the virtues of the standard itself.  ADIF is useful, except when it is a pain, which fortunately isn't often, but really painful when it is.

ADIF is pretty good for interchange, but it drastically under-specifies the semantics.  To my knowledge and understanding, there is no, official, documented set of minimum fields to define a minimal QSO.  Every time you deal with a new source, it usually works, but it is sometimes an adventure to discover what fields they require and what they use.

I deal routinely with:  N1MM+, MixW2, WSJT-X, eQSL, GlobalQSL, LOTW, DXCC On-line, Clublog, RSBGIOTA at least and they all have slightly different requirements and semantic understanding of the fields.  Normally, these differences don't matter, but once in a while, I get "bit" and I have to do something, usually write a little code.

I find it particularly difficult, for instance, to import things created under the "wrong" logger into N1MM+.  You could argue that N1MM commendably tries to use the defined fields (e.g. CQZ under the various CQ WW contests), but the other logger(s) I use tend to define exchange fields as. . .exchange fields and put the zone information there.  It can be an adventure to get the result you are looking for when you import from other sources.

Some sources I deal with use the COMMENTS field; others ignore it and use NOTES for the same purpose.  You would think they would map one to the other even if they, themselves, only use one of the two (especially when both are not present), but. . .nope.  Similarly, you would think that providing a FREQ field would implicitly have the receiver create the missing BAND entry if only FREQ was provided, but some do and some don't.

Moreover, the use of TIME_ON as the "most important" of TIME_ON versus TIME_OFF is entirely unofficial, but widely observed.  Fortunately for that one, I haven't seen an exception yet.  But, give it time.

There just isn't enough semantic agreement and, at this late date, probably cannot be.  Getting programmers to agree on anything is like herding cats.

Still, it would be interesting to see someone take a stab at a "strict" mode (where the semantics were more rigidly defined, including things like "minimum QSO fields") and see if it could get anywhere in terms of adoption.  I'm guessing:  No.

This is a bigger deal than it looks, probably.   I have a surprising number of folks whose logging information is split between N1MM+ and at least one other primary logger.  I also notice that very few try and integrate all those sources into one.  It is fairly easy to see why -- if you're not a programmer, even a rare headache is enough to defeat you.

As for LOTW itself, it probably would be useful to have a reporting mode where there was a CSV (probably TAB separated) produced with the usual header entry on top.  That would make it easy for non-programmers to dump the results into a spreadsheet.  That would allow users to deal with all sorts of things that the LOTW folks haven't anticipated (such as finding IOTA), some of which would and probably should not ever make it to explicit LOTW support.  Second best would be a mode where all ADIF fields were provided whether they have content or not.  Some canned Linux scripts could then manipulate the result into a CSV and a lot of folks could use them cookbook style.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 11:16:29 AM by WO7R » Logged
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #1208 on: October 06, 2017, 04:10:54 PM »

A44A on 80, 40, and 20 cw from the 2016 CQWW CW contest. 

and surprisingly, KP3Z for 40, 20, 15, and 10 SSB from the 2016 CQWW SSB contest.  Not sure how he was able to upload, but thanks!

VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #1209 on: October 09, 2017, 11:32:46 AM »

S9CT uploaded to LoTW.

Marvin VE3VEE
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #1210 on: October 10, 2017, 01:01:50 AM »

VY0ERC - CQ ZONE 2 - uploaded to LOTW.

Marvin VE3VEE
N4UFO

Ignore
« Reply #1211 on: October 10, 2017, 09:10:42 PM »

9H3WHX QSL came in the mail today for operation back in February... Thanks!
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #1212 on: October 11, 2017, 01:35:05 AM »

PZ5RA on CW.
ATNO.  Smiley
KD0PO

Ignore
« Reply #1213 on: October 11, 2017, 10:19:10 AM »

5X2B   2017-10-07 19:12:43   12M   CW   24.89210   UGANDA   Selected   12M; Challenge

Ray
KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #1214 on: October 13, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »

2016-12-29  00:55:00      CT8/SP7VC     40M       SSB             KM4SII    new confirmation for Azores: 40M
2017-10-03  21:43:40          HI8RD        12M       SSB             KM4SII    new confirmation for Dominican Republic: 12M

Nothing crazy, but two new band-fills confirmed on LOTW  Smiley
Pages: Prev 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: