The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW SAD BUT TRUE ON THE WAY OUT THE DOOR  (Read 67189 times)
KD4YSH

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2016, 10:16:20 AM »

Out the door and into the museum for CW 25 years ago it was great but its about gone now too many other modes.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 10:30:33 AM »

Out the door and into the museum for CW 25 years ago it was great but its about gone now too many other modes.
  Don't give up so soon!  Just keep pounding that key, and they will come!!   Roll Eyes
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 11:26:03 AM »

That's quite a run-on (ungrammatical) sentence.

Even worse is that it ignores critical facts: CW is totally unlike other modes in its rich historical bases, its rhythmical and musical qualities and its relative efficiency and technical simplicity.

CW involves the operator in ways that other modes do not--both mentally and physically (try using a bug; get your head copy speed up to 25 or 30 wpm). People who do CW establish social bonds that simply do not exist for users of less-personally-demanding-and-involving modes.

You also might query builders and purveyors of keys as to whether they are thinking of going out of business. You might query those who design, build and sell commercial transceivers about when they are going to eliminate the CW mode from the rigs they sell.

In this day when in many cities you cannot find a spot to park your car, not to mention the difficulty of crossing a street on foot, people still own horses. Kids still aspire to be cowboys. Lovers of the sea still power their boats with sails.
K8PRG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 12:33:44 PM »

Are you a CW op?
Smells like a trolling type comment to me, trying to stir up some do-do.
I joined SKCC 5 months ago, and since then there has been 900 new members added.
That is not the direction for an "about gone" mode, don't ya think?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 01:36:07 PM by K8PRG » Logged
WB0CJB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 12:54:16 PM »

From what I have read quite a few people are learning the code and having fun with it. Ever since the FCC did away with the mandatory code tests. The SKCC group is thriving from the numbers I am seeing during their monthly weekend sprints.

If you take the time you will find that when there is a digital contest on (be it PSK31, JT9 or 65, RTTY, or some other mode) the CW (and most of the phone) bands are pretty dead. If a big phone contest is on - again the CW and digital bands are dead. If a CW contest is on the digital and phone bands are dead. If CW is supposed to be dead or dying then why am I hearing continued CW activity???
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 01:37:29 PM »

1.  I don't believe CW is about to go extinct.  While the levels aren't what they were twenty five years ago, there is still activity and several activity and training groups.  Sales of keys are quite popular.

2.  So what if CW went extinct. You can't force people to undertake activities that don't interest them.  If hams no longer wanted to do morse, they have every right.  Accept it, if this occurred.
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 02:06:24 PM »

Its alive and well.

Just enjoyed MRD, worked a few of the old hands from my maritime days.

The problems with CW is, it requires EFFORT, now that is not terribly popular in this age.

So it may die eventually, but much like Latin, i guess it has a few years left in it.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 02:13:43 PM »

I wasn't a ham back in the hey-day of CW, so I have a question for those who were.

Were the fists as bad 40 years ago as they are now?  I am a CW novice doing 18WPM on a good day, but I try to to keep it timing  and spacing as correct as I can.  With some, it's hard to tell the difference between the dits and dahs, the bug ops are out control, others have a swing that only a mother could love.

I have a hard enough time copying without all of this "stylized" code out there!
Is this a recent phenomenon or has it always been this way?

KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 02:44:28 PM »

Were the fists as bad 40 years ago as they are now?  
Is this a recent phenomenon or has it always been this way?

I would guess that fists may be worse today than in the past. In the past we had to take code exams in front of FCC examiners so there was some spur to readability there.

When I started out in the late '50s there were few automatic keyers so every op had to learn pretty well the proper timing and spacing.

'Way back when many ops learned code in the military and there were also many ops working commercially. Those situations imposed a minimum of discipline.

This is all just speculation of course. I can definitely remember, however, getting compliments from other ops on my fist back in the late '50s. I don't get them today although I do tell others when I appreciate their clear and clean sending.

When I do hear bad fists, which are not uncommon these days, to my ear they sound not just bad, but very very very bad. So another speculation is that all the fancy learning tools and automation that we have now for CW has produced more lousy ops than ever, as well, no doubt, as some good ones.  Cheesy
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 03:06:40 PM »

I use the HF bands almost every day, both CW and SSB -- don't use the digital modes much but can obviously "hear" when they are in use, even without decoding them.

On days with lousy propagation, there is more CW activity than anything else.  Yesterday evening I was on 20m and there were maybe five stations workable on SSB....anything on digital was very weak (maybe I could have decoded, didn't really try -- but very weak signals), and about 40 CW stations who were loud and strong and easy to work despite poor conditions.

CW isn't going anywhere.
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 03:23:42 PM »

What a bunch of crap that statement is. There is as much CW on now as there ever was. I suspect even more, but at least as much. On 80M when it is open it is often hard to find an unoccupied spot. Traffic nets are buzzing with activity, the high speeders are banging away ignoring everyone in their path. QSOs are often taking place with in a 1/2 khz or so because you can do that with CW as long as the tone is different. Vintage rigs are plodding along enjoying the show plus  dx occasionally shows up and recently a few cw pileups have been found which is interesting just for the sound. Why? Well son because CW works when nothing else does. And it doesn't just sort of work. Long after SSB and any phone would be unusable good CW communication still functions at 100% level. Even when it gets real bad some communication is still possible. Power levels are not required to be high. Even 4 or 5 watts will get you in the game for contacts hundreds of miles away. Not to mention it is fun. Poor fists? Be careful. As I age I find my ability to run a key deteriorating. Some is my fault as I neglected it for many years but some comes with the accumulation of birthdays. I do the best I can. If you don't have that trouble, be happy but don't poop on my key, please. More and more I find myself shying away from phone, especially SSB and pulling out the old key. CW on its way out the door? I doubt it. Chances are you and I will be gone long before it is. I would lay money on that. Maybe next time your mommy buys you a radio get one with a CW mode and see for yourself.
donVE3LX
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 03:28:14 PM by VE3LYX » Logged
VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 04:06:17 PM »

if you think cw is dead no need for you to be here.
 see ya
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 06:14:10 PM »

I would guess that fists may be worse today than in the past. In the past we had to take code exams in front of FCC examiners so there was some spur to readability there.

When I started out in the late '50s there were few automatic keyers so every op had to learn pretty well the proper timing and spacing.

'Way back when many ops learned code in the military and there were also many ops working commercially. Those situations imposed a minimum of discipline.

This is all just speculation of course. I can definitely remember, however, getting compliments from other ops on my fist back in the late '50s. I don't get them today although I do tell others when I appreciate their clear and clean sending.

When I do hear bad fists, which are not uncommon these days, to my ear they sound not just bad, but very very very bad. So another speculation is that all the fancy learning tools and automation that we have now for CW has produced more lousy ops than ever, as well, no doubt, as some good ones.  Cheesy

WHAT HE SAID!
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 06:58:27 PM »

I can't believe you guys fell for feeding the troll.

paul
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 07:40:52 PM »

I can't believe you guys fell for feeding the troll.

paul

+1! A classic troll....

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: