The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW SAD BUT TRUE ON THE WAY OUT THE DOOR  (Read 67269 times)
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: January 28, 2017, 03:48:57 PM »

There's a new Face Book group just started up a couple weeks ago called Slow Speed CW....there's already over 500 sign-ups. They range from "I'm just starting out" to " I've been out of it for 20 years and itching to get back in".
They are trying.....I believe that's a strong signal towards the interest in CW right now.
  And now there is also a Facebook group called "QSO now", where you can post the time and frequency where you are calling CQ, and can immediately get loads of hams to listen for your signals!!
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: January 28, 2017, 05:51:23 PM »

God preserve amateur radio from the Internet and keep it far away from us!

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: January 29, 2017, 04:58:25 AM »

VK4EEE so what are we doing in here??  Huh
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: January 29, 2017, 05:13:05 AM »

Keeping the two separate. I like my Amateur Radio to be independent from the Internet: no spots, no completion of QSO (cheating, e.g. the JT modes). Posting when you are calling CQ to get "loads of hams to listen for your signals" is the problem why we have unlimited pile ups with each vying to create the largest possible pile up to wipe out the band and boast about it, which is what some DX expeditions do, instead of calling CQ and having a reasonable amount of callers: if they have 10 calling them at once, they cannot work all 10 any faster than they can if there are 100 or 1000 calling. The combination of Internet when doing Amateur Radio is unnecessary.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
K8PRG

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: January 30, 2017, 11:37:37 AM »

The beauty of our hobby...you can do it any way you wish.
Don't want the internet in the way, don't use it.....want to utilize the technology, it's there.
W8TBZ

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: October 26, 2017, 01:47:41 PM »

CW is only "out the door" for those who dont want to try. Some may not see or understand the signifcance of cw but it is still(and always will be) one of the more reliable modes of communication. No repeater or satellite required. CW forever !
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: October 26, 2017, 03:39:52 PM »

Of course you would bring this up. You don't have a clue what cw is. Checked and your highest license is technician class. So what qualifies you to render an opinion on the future of CW? Passed my extra class 20 wpm exam at the FCC office 34 years ago for a total of 41 years happily pounding brass and proud of it. So when you learn code you earn the right to render your opinion.
W1EUJ

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: October 26, 2017, 04:12:58 PM »

I love this thread and I hope it never dies because its the evergreen of funny. Can't you imagine that CW is personified as some bummed out and rejected dude leaving the ham party saying in an eeyore voice - "well, I guess I'll be going now". I think all online communities need some forum or thread to blow some steam, maybe about how prissy CW is and maybe it should get a real job and get on SSB. Haha, shine on you crazy diamond!
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: October 26, 2017, 05:35:07 PM »

I love this thread and I hope it never dies because its the evergreen of funny. Can't you imagine that CW is personified as some bummed out and rejected dude leaving the ham party saying in an eeyore voice - "well, I guess I'll be going now". I think all online communities need some forum or thread to blow some steam, maybe about how prissy CW is and maybe it should get a real job and get on SSB. Haha, shine on you crazy diamond!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQql-ZbZmg

73  di dit   Roll Eyes
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: October 26, 2017, 05:46:46 PM »

"It ain't over until it's over" said somebody.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: October 27, 2017, 04:22:31 AM »

If CW WAS on it's way out the door I can only conclude that it got permanently stuck in a revolving door since I've only operated CW since 64 and haven't seen any evidence of it going anywhere.
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: October 27, 2017, 08:44:49 AM »

Of course you would bring this up. You don't have a clue what cw is. Checked and your highest license is technician class. So what qualifies you to render an opinion on the future of CW? Passed my extra class 20 wpm exam at the FCC office 34 years ago for a total of 41 years happily pounding brass and proud of it. So when you learn code you earn the right to render your opinion.

Gee, Last time I checked a Technician has almost as much freq privilege as a general....?
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: October 27, 2017, 01:24:58 PM »

CW is alive and well. I have recently returned to it. I'm finished done with voice...been there, done that.
PSK-31, same.

Talking dits and dahs has a certain fascination. I feel like a spy.

CW requires three things, antenna, radio and perseverance. CW is something I do because I
want to have a Morse QSO. I actually feel I did something great when I end a Morse contact.

CW will work fine with a hundred watts, fifty watts, even five watts.

So here are my facts to fit the conspiracy. The amplifier folks collude to make Morse code look
obsolete. They program folks go to SSB and buy the high-powered amplifiers.

Kraus
KF0QS

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: October 27, 2017, 05:34:02 PM »

When I got my novice license in 1968, I couldn't wait until I got my general, and could get on SSB.  Of course, when I got my general, I pretty much forgot all about CW.  Then, in '75, I went QRT due to obligations at school, then work and career, etc.  In '91, the ham bug bit again (I had renewed my Advanced Class license so I could still get right on the air), and I got back on the air.  I then went and passed my extra, while there was still a code requirement.

The point I want to make is that, during that 16 year period I was QRT, when I thought about ham radio fondly, I thought most frequently about the times I was operating cw.  When I got back on the air in '91, I pretty much stayed with cw, and have been almost exclusively a cw operator since then.  The amount of enjoyment I've received from being a reasonably competent cw op is immeasurable.  I can't quite describe why I love it so much, but it is always a pleasure to have a good cw ragchew. 

I won't quarrel with any other ham's opinion of what the best mode is.  All I can say is I deeply appreciate operating cw, and am constantly grateful to those in the ham community who continue to pound brass (despite what the original poster said, there doesn't appear to be a big shortage of cw operators).

And by the way, to those who think cw is dead, didn't you watch the movie "Independence Day"?  CW saved the day!!  It was a true story, wasn't it?   Wink
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: October 27, 2017, 05:49:53 PM »

It's sad but true, CW kept a lot of folks from getting the ticket to begin with.  What I mean by that is folks were to lazy to learn it for the test because it does take some time and actual effort to learn it.  CW isn't gone there is all kinds of activity in the CW mode.  When CW was taken away to get your ticket it did not hurt CW it hurt the PHONE portions of radio. 
Pages: Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: