The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arduino Logger by VK4FFAB  (Read 54956 times)
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2016, 08:10:07 PM »

Alfalfa release of the Arduino Logger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7oDRMgeI68

« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 08:18:11 PM by VK4FFAB » Logged
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 11:16:09 PM »

1200 views and not even a nice job comment, Oh well.

have updated the code, now its a lot more user friendly to use in the field.

See Here For Details: http://vk4ffab.info/vk4ffab-arduino-logger/
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 05:44:04 AM »

Yeah... you don't know whether to laugh or cry....

But nice job. You've done well. Smiley

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 01:28:11 AM »

Yeah... you don't know whether to laugh or cry....

But nice job. You've done well. Smiley

Thank you, I agree, you don't know whether to laugh or cry. Sadly i think there is a tenancy now days for what i call Experting rather than sharing and encouragement. You see the experts come out in the What Diode Do I Use type posts, there is 40 pages of discussion and 3 weeks later they are still no closer to knowing what diode to use, mean while, someone posts about a really well made project and innovative project and he hardly gets a thumbs up.

Lucky we are not insecure or anything HIHI.

N0SA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 07:47:30 AM »

This ought to make you happy.
I just ordered all the parts to make one.
Looks like a very useful for a SOTA logger as well
as at home.
It would be nice if you would provide a wiring diagram
on your website. I plan on using a MEGA.
Keep on working on upgrades, I think you are on the right track
as it is a nice project.
Larry
n0sa
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 08:46:18 PM »

This ought to make you happy.
I just ordered all the parts to make one.
Looks like a very useful for a SOTA logger as well
as at home.
It would be nice if you would provide a wiring diagram
on your website. I plan on using a MEGA.
Keep on working on upgrades, I think you are on the right track
as it is a nice project.
Larry
n0sa

Hi Larry, nice to see someone else taking it up and building one, there are a few others I know of doing the same. When you use it in the field for SOTA I would love to hear your feedback on usability and any suggestions you might have for making it work just that little bit better.

I did update the website the other day with the beginnings of a Shield layout for the project, that I will make on my cnc mill for my own build. I have included in the silk screen layer where everything gets connected to for the MEGA, which should make it easier for those not so familuar with Auduino to connect things up. There are really only 2 pins that can go in any other place and that is the CS pin on the SD card and the Data pin on the Keyboard. Everything else really only has one place it can go on the boards and those places are really dependant on what board you are using.

The one difficulty providing a Fritzing type schematic is that the location of Mosi, Miso, Sda, Scl etc are all in different locations on the different types of boards, Nano and Uno etc. Currently the software will work Nano, Uno and Mega, though if it gets more memory demanding, it wont work on the 328 series boards and then a single schematic would be easy to maintain.

in Here is the Pic for the MEGA layout:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 08:57:24 PM by VK4FFAB » Logged
N0SA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 10:15:57 AM »

Right off the top I can think of one nice thing to add if possible.
A USB keyboard port or  Blue Tooth to be able to use a small wireless keyboard.

What are the pros and cons of a Mega versus a Nano?
I ordered a Mega but I have Nanos.
The nice thing about the Nano is that it is so small.
Larry
n0sa
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 04:42:46 PM »

Right off the top I can think of one nice thing to add if possible.
A USB keyboard port or  Blue Tooth to be able to use a small wireless keyboard.

What are the pros and cons of a Mega versus a Nano?
I ordered a Mega but I have Nanos.
The nice thing about the Nano is that it is so small.
Larry
n0sa

I have not found another keyboard solution that really works, sadly. I have tried and failed a number of times. What i have been thinking of doing for my own version is making a 10x5 key keypad, the Mega has enough digital pins to support such a large keypad and the code to support a keypad is trivial.

The main difference between nano/uno and mega is SRAM and FLASH, with the mega having 4 times the resources, which means when writing a long string to file, you do not run out of Sram and fail part way through. The code will run currently on the nano/uno, but it hits the 75% resources used limit and that means there is not much Sram left for local variables etc.

I am looking at other ways of saving the data, the SD card is the resource hog, taking up 512 bytes al by itself of 2K. None will be as simple as connecting an SD card, but it will mean that I can add complexity while keeping things uber light by using a nano.

Cheers,

Rob
K4LJA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 06:38:35 AM »

I think it's absolutely fantastic and I apologize for not stating that sooner.  I think the reason some of us are slow on the trigger is because we're overwhelmed by your level of competence and have self doubts as to whether we could make one, too.  Rest assured -- we are thinking about your nice project and are tumbling it over-and-over in our various minds.  I've just started playing with an Arduiono and I really admire what you're done.  Intimidated--- that's me.  Thanks -- Randy - K4LJA
N0SA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 05:16:28 AM »

Just an update on my progress.
This is for those who may be holding off for any reason.
I must state that I am not a coder but have played with the arduino family a bit.
I have my logger breadboarded and working, except for the keyboard.
I am waiting on delivery of the keyboard jack.
I have managed to get the RTC working and the SDC is acknowledged by the program.
The LCD comes up just fine too. I did have to run a short program to find the address
of my particular LCD display as it didn't work first off because of a wrong address.
So, as soon as I get my keyboard connector I should be able to do a final
test before boxing it all up.
Good project and looking forward to using it.
Larry
n0sa
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 10:25:21 PM »

Well done Larry, if you can over come the few hurdles that sometimes pop up, you are about as pro skilled at arduino as anyone Smiley I have one friend who is stuck on the RTC for whatever reason he cannot get the time set with it, and I am not sure why myself, weird things can happen sometimes for no apparent reason.

@Randy K4LJA do not be intimidated, it is all actually rather simple and mostly plug and play and if you get stuck you can always ask here and get an answer pointing you in the right direction where to look.

thanks for the positive feedback and comments, I will try and get the comments field and save to new file stuff coded in in the next week, that should round off the features and then as people use it, I can work on usability issues just in case people find aspects of it clunky to use.

Cheers,

Rob.
N0SA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 02:40:46 PM »

Just wanted to let you know that I have a working Logger.
It is only bread boarded but now that I know it all works as planned I can start to design
 an enclosure for it.
Nice project
Larry
n0sa
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 05:32:31 PM »

Just wanted to let you know that I have a working Logger.
It is only bread boarded but now that I know it all works as planned I can start to design
 an enclosure for it.
Nice project
Larry
n0sa

Well done Larry.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 08:13:30 PM »

Larry excellent project and well done on actually making it work.
My can only assume on the weak reception to your thread was due to the fact that everyone has a smart phone and they are thinking that they can just do the same thing with a phone app.   While that may be true, it misses the point that as hams we are supposed to be the guys that if put to the test can string together a busted 8 track tape player and an old satellite dish and send out an automated SOS  Grin

Anyway I love your project, I look forward to seeing some more cool stuff from you in the future.

BTW take comfort in the fact that you have over 10,000 views.  They may not be responding but many people are interested.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
N0DIM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 03:41:22 AM »

Great project Robert! It is on my to-do list now.

Mitch  NØDIM
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: