The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Raspberry Pi for SDR control?  (Read 46854 times)
KC8MWG

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2016, 10:31:35 AM »

I have been eyeballing SDR for a while, and I enjoy assembling kits (wish Heathkit was still in the ham business! Sad ). I recently ran across this radio from Russia. From what I understand, it is a clone of the Flex SDR-1000:

https://sites.google.com/site/sdrhamconstruction/

I even found a partially populated board on EBay for a reasonable price, so I figured I'd take the plunge. I figure it will make a nice follow-up project to my Klopik-2 (which is a more conventional transceiver).

What I am wondering is, would a Raspberry Pi work in place of a full-sized PC or laptop to run the SDR? If so, it would make for a neat portable/Field Day rig!  I already have an original Raspberry Pi Model B that I had once purchased to run my 3D printer, but I have another print controller setup I like better so the "Pi" is sitting idle right now.
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 06:24:33 PM »

Yes, assuming the software you wish to run, runs on the PI
N8CBX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 09:56:50 AM »

I think the R/Pi and some SDR software would be a marriage made in heaven. The only open-source code that I know of is WinRAD
http://www.sdradio.eu/weaksignals/winrad/
If someone would step up and write an SDR software program, it would be revolutionary I think.
Jan N8CBX

Dayton Ohio - The Birthplace of Aviation
VE3WI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 04:18:07 PM »

Check out http://g0orx.blogspot.ca/

He is developing a Pi-based system for running openHPSDR hardware.

I have the hardware & the Pi.  Waiting for the software to be available...

Dave, VE3WI
KC9XG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 04:26:01 PM »

I have G0ORX's Raspberry Pi PiHpsdr running on my Rpi 2B.  I have a 600 ppr rotary encoder, and 2 24 ppr rotary encoders connected to the RPi GPIO port.  RPiHpsdr is designed to control the OpenHpSDR hermes, Angelia, and Orion SDR, available from Apache Labs as ANAN-10, ANAN-100, ANAN100B, and ANAN200D.

You can use PiHpSDR to control the above Apache Labs radios using only a mouse, rotary encoders not required.  Keyboard, mouse, Display and Ethernet connection required.  WiFi may be problematic, YMMV.

The RPiHpSDR code and installation instructions also supports a 5" LCD display directly from the RPi, but this appears to be a work in progress at present.  The RPi HDMI port works fine with my HDMI monitor when running RPiHPSDR.

Complete PiHpSDR software installation instructions are available at https://github.com/g0orx/pihpsdr/blob/master/release/documentation/pihpsdr-install.pdf .   

The software installation is somewhat tedious and requires you to use the RPi terminal window to enter multiple linux commands.  There is NO automated installer! 

Note:  This is BETA software and no user documentation or help file is available. 

Note:   The Raspbian version that comes with NOOBS will NOT work with PiHPSDR.  You MUST install the regular Rasbian version.  I found out the hard way.

Bill KC9XG

KC8MWG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 03:14:22 PM »

I wonder how well that hardware/software package would work with a Pi 1? From the web page, it looks like he's using later models (Pi 2 and 3).
KC9XG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 06:19:43 PM »

Not knowledgeable about RPi model capability.  I do know my RPi 2 B uses about 16% of CPU with an ANAN-100D  at 48k sample rate and 35% CPU at 96k etc. Don't think it would work at 192K sample rate.  This is with arm_freq set to 1000.
VE3WI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 02:42:12 PM »

KC9XG, thanks for the info on PiHPSDR.

Now I have to get off my butt and get my rig working!

Dave, VE3WI
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 09:14:57 PM »

As I am working on antennas for 160m I have been tossing a project around in my head.. Using  a pi and sdr receiver to use on the receiving antenna. I would enclose this along with a battery and solar panel. I would use a wifi connection back to the house. Why not run cabling to it? Well, it might be on the other side of a river where there is space for a beverage antenna. I could use an access point with a 2.4 ghz yagi if need be. Just thinking theoretically at the moment. It could be fun the build, test and try a proof of concept model..
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 05:09:27 PM »

As I am working on antennas for 160m I have been tossing a project around in my head.. Using  a pi and sdr receiver to use on the receiving antenna. I would enclose this along with a battery and solar panel. I would use a wifi connection back to the house. Why not run cabling to it? Well, it might be on the other side of a river where there is space for a beverage antenna. I could use an access point with a 2.4 ghz yagi if need be. Just thinking theoretically at the moment. It could be fun the build, test and try a proof of concept model..

Can you remote login to the Pi? Like with Splashtop between two windows machines? Seemingly all you can do with a Rasp Pi is stream the raw data to a computer, not that that is a bad thing really.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 03:27:32 PM by AC7CW » Logged

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
K5ACL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 08:21:50 AM »

Sure can...

Here's a good youtube vid describing how to do it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHSxe44svns

K5ACL

KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 07:59:48 AM »

Yep, there shouldn't be anything preventing me from logging in remotely if need be. I figured it would be some sort of streaming setup to stream whatever it picks up. Of course, delay would be a concern. I would hope since it is on my local network it would be fairly negligible.

Thanks for the link to the video.. from what I've seen plenty of folks have been setting up pi w/sdr

I bought a softrock lite II kit which I'll toss together for 160m and I'll pick up another pi to play around with this (can't have too many pi's).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 11:53:47 AM by KB2FCV » Logged
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 07:54:42 AM »

I would love a few PI based projects;

* APRS gateway with messaging client
* DSTAR, APCO25 and Fusion gateway (to mix systems)
* Packet, gateway with relay
* WINLINK/ WINMOR TNC and gateway

This would be a neat little box that you could lug around. Sort of a swiss army knife of digital modes

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 01:12:17 PM »

My friend wants to build a small portable digital station using a pi.. he's thinking of using a softrock with it.

As I mentioned before for me - my ham project for a pi might be a remote receiver / antenna to place across the river and stream back the audio. I have to order a few more pi's for some other projects in the hopper but this is one up for consideration.

Some of my other pi projects / wish list:
-Sump pit water level monitor / alerting - complete, in use
-Outside temp / humidity sensor pi - in progress
-Vegetable garden soil moisture / watering pi - planned
-I was going to use another for power outage monitoring / alerting but my NAS and UPS will probably do this

My thoughts with these pi's.. they have to be useful. Many of the projects out there look fun to build, but some seem like once they are built and you play around a bit with them.. they go into a drawer or taken apart / do something else with them. I'd like my projects to be used for something useful or important every day.
W4PER

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 06:19:47 AM »

My R Pi works great interfaced to my DV4Mini with DStar, DMR and Fusion, now if id would just interface to the ICOM IC-7300.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: