The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-7300 vs. TS-590SG ? (not S model)  (Read 97750 times)
KT0DD

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2016, 07:50:06 AM »

Since there's a category of IC-7300 vs. FTDX 5000 (which to me is apples to oranges in price class) I'd like to know more of an apples to apples comparison.

OK, I know the IC-7300 has tons more bells and whistles than the TS-590SG so I'm not interested in comparing features.

Has anyone done a PERFORMANCE based comparison between the 590SG and 7300 on SSB and CW?

Thanks.  Todd - KT0DD

N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 09:07:46 AM »

Go to the Sherwood site and see where the 2 radios rank.
Pretty surprising!

ron
N4UE

A happy 7300 owner...
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 09:56:02 AM »

I've read Sherwood's numbers including the degradation of the noise floor with IP+ enabled on the 7300 vs the 590SG. I'm more interested in personal on the air side by side comparisons of the two radios. Glad you like the 7300. I have a hunch the NR system on the 7300 may be better for my situation in suburbia with multiple noise sources. If someone comes out with a hack to put the 7300 bandscope on an external monitor with HDSDR (not the lame RS-BA1 Icom software or the Bonito stuff) it may change my mind, but right now I'm leaning toward the 590SG.

Just want to hear from those who've used both on the air. Thanks.
WA7AQH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 04:47:48 PM »

Right now I only own an IC-7000, but in the market for a new main radio for the new shack. I'm looking at the same radios (I think I've ruled out the Flex, but will make a final decision at SeaPac), and have added the Yaesu FTdx-3000 to the list for consideration since it's now down to $1700 at HRO. You might consider that as well.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 05:39:49 PM »

Go to the Sherwood site and see where the 2 radios rank.
Pretty surprising!

ron
N4UE

A happy 7300 owner...

I tend to not give much value to Sherwood tests because one, they are not real world and two, they cannot begin to quantify or rate how they actually sound. You need to listen yourself side by side if you can.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 08:06:43 PM »

Since there's a category of IC-7300 vs. FTDX 5000 (which to me is apples to oranges in price class) I'd like to know more of an apples to apples comparison.

OK, I know the IC-7300 has tons more bells and whistles than the TS-590SG so I'm not interested in comparing features.

Has anyone done a PERFORMANCE based comparison between the 590SG and 7300 on SSB and CW?

Thanks.  Todd - KT0DD

Unless you're a CW contester, either radio will offer more than enough performance receiver wise.

I know you don't want to talk about bells and whistles, but the facts are for most people, they are the only difference between the two radios.

J.D. Mitchell - VK3BL / XU7AGA - http://vk3bl.wordpress.com
HAMSTUDY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 09:51:21 PM »

Thanks.  Todd - KT0DD

I think your question is a good one (re:  performance differences).  I can't answer the question since I'm a new ham with no HF radio but I am pretty keen on the 590SG.  I have a hunch from the in-store use I've been able to give it that it is enjoyable to use and from the reviews I think it likely has good performance.  At the same time the 7300 seems to be taking the ham world by storm.  So either could probably make a ham a happy camper but I have an additional reason that might be worth considering.  I think we are on the verge of an evolution if not a revolution that will move radios strongly toward SDR and all that SDR entails.  In general and overall I think this will lead to good improvements in ham radio but sometimes the old ways have some advantages that can get lost in such a transition.  So whether it might be knobs and switches or whether it might be sonic characteristics that if nothing else have a familiar, or nostalgic, or euphonic sound the 590SG could be one of the last of the really good and reasonably affordable "old school" transceivers.  I think there will be a steady wave of new SDR-school transceivers, some at higher prices but also a bunch at relatively lower prices, and therefore there will be more SDR opportunities for years to come - but when the 590SG is phased out (whenever that might be, might not be for a couple years or more) it might take with it one of the last great opportunities for a classic old school transceiver new in the box.  Personally, I'm looking forward to going with a 590SG and adding an external panadapter for visualization/navigation (with a SDRPlay and HDSDR) to have much of the best of both the old and the new.  73
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 04:01:09 PM by HAMSTUDY » Logged
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 04:57:12 PM »

Either radio will do the job and theres nothing so significant that you can say 1 radio will have the advantage over the other in terms of receiver performance. Noise is  what brings receivers  down not their technical performance. This is the case for most hams because their locations are noise  limited.

In transmitter performance  neither radios are outstanding and none of them has killer feature that makes either one superior.

The battles in terms of value for money undoubtedly goes to the IC7300. Bang for dollar especially with the pan adapter  and being a knobbed SDR radio its a bargain general purpose radio like no other. Most hams will not  be exposed to the limitations of the IC7300's receivers performance because their locations are  noise limited.

If you do live in the city the only thing about owning a radio like the IC7300 that is bad is that  waterfall almost becomes useless because of noise!

Thanks.  Todd - KT0DD

KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 08:05:26 AM »

Ok well, it's coming down to 2 final decision points for me. First will be all the reviews after Field Day operations with the 7300, and IF anyone comes out with a good hack to put the 7300 scope display on an external monitor using HDSDR or something less anemic than bonito or RS-BA1 software.

I see the SdrPlay / HDSDR scope hack for the TS-590SG and it looks much better than the ICOM offerings of external monitor scopes.

73.  Todd / KT0DD
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 11:40:14 AM »

The battles in terms of value for money undoubtedly goes to the IC7300. Bang for dollar especially with the pan adapter  and being a knobbed SDR radio its a bargain general purpose radio like no other.

That is a relative statement at best in that one unit, the 590, is a full fledged solid and proven base/desktop unit and they other is a bit of a smaller "toy" with whistles and bells to make it seem better than it really is over all.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 12:41:03 PM »

The battles in terms of value for money undoubtedly goes to the IC7300. Bang for dollar especially with the pan adapter  and being a knobbed SDR radio its a bargain general purpose radio like no other.

That is a relative statement at best in that one unit, the 590, is a full fledged solid and proven base/desktop unit and they other is a bit of a smaller "toy" with whistles and bells to make it seem better than it really is over all.

I suggest you go to YouTube and type in "Icom 7300 VS" you will find a lot of very well done videos comparing it to many different radios in all different price categories.  It either just beaten by a bit when compared to the high end stuff or it blows away most of the rigs in the same price class.  As for Tx, I have heard a few of them and they sound pretty good.  It's certainly no Toy!

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 05:57:35 PM »

How can you say that (well, I guess you did)? Yours is a relative, unqualified statement, more of an "opinion". The 7300 matches up well with the 590 in specs, and clobbers it in operating and convenience features. Actually, the 7300 is more expensive, and just wee bit smaller than the 590. Small? Is the "small" K3S a toy? Just the built-in scope/waterfall is worth it. In a contest like this past weekend's VHF contest, with signals spread all over and popping up inconsistently,  it's a very valuable tool for finding signals and pouncing on them. Just because one is a "solid and proven" radio doesn't mean that a newcomer  can't be competitive. "Toy"?...I think not. BTW, I don't own a 7300...just going by specs, features, and tons of 5/5 reviews, many actually by respected, experienced, and technically qualified hams (not just..."I just took it out of the box, and really like the radio").

73,  Bob K7JQ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 07:54:34 PM »

It's certainly no Toy!

I call it a new toy with eye candy for sales because it is small which limits display and front panel button or knobs, has a odd front control panel and also because its small size means it has to get warmer at 100 watts out key down because of less thermal mass and heat sink surface area. Some seem to think that small rigs do not have to loose as much heat but big or small they are all about 50% efficient on PA stage at best and have to loose same amount of heat.

K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 06:09:13 AM »

It's certainly no Toy!

I call it a new toy with eye candy for sales because it is small which limits display and front panel button or knobs, has a odd front control panel and also because its small size means it has to get warmer at 100 watts out key down because of less thermal mass and heat sink surface area. Some seem to think that small rigs do not have to loose as much heat but big or small they are all about 50% efficient on PA stage at best and have to loose same amount of heat.

So, size DOES matter. Grin

Just for the hell of it, I checked the dimensions of both, The 7300 is smaller by: 1.18" in width; 0.08" in height; 2.09" in depth. It does weigh 6.7 lbs less. You don't think Icom took heat into consideration? Over 1/3 of the rear panel is fan.

I'm certainly not knocking the 590SG...it's a very respected contest and general use radio. But it is an upgraded 6 year old design vs the newest SDR architecture. The 7300 control panel might be odd in your opinion, but it does contain all the necessary, frequently used controls, with easy to access (once you get the hang of it) menus and touchscreen controls that are generally set and forget, or infrequently used. In my opinion, with its size, the 590 front panel is too busy...small controls that are too close together, many not frequently used. Just a matter of differing opinions. And the 7300 "eye candy" (I guess you are referring to the display) happens to be a very useful operating feature...way more advanced than the, IMO, mundane 590.

Call it what you want, but the 7300 is the technology of the future, and doesn't deserve the label of a "toy".

73,   Bob K7JQ 
W5SRT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 07:12:18 AM »

I went from the 590s to the 7300 a few months back.  SSB only.  The 7300 is a nicer receiver to operate and pulls signals out of the noise better because it has better filtering.  The 7300 NR filter is better than the 590s.  The 7300 spectrum display is really helpful, and it's very easy to use and adjust.  If you're looking around the band for signals, the 7300 is head and shoulders above the 590s.

The user interface of the 7300 is much better, easier to use, and more intuitive.  The display of the 7300 is easier to view and provides more useful information.  Although, I have not used it in direct sunlight.

The 590s has a better transmitter arrangement.  It has the A/B antenna selector (and the RX only input), which I miss on the 7300.  The 590s has about 20 dB more microphone gain than the 7300.  This important if you are using a classic dynamic microphone, like an RE27, SM7b, SM58, and so forth.  With the 7300, I have to use an external microphone preamp, which is kind of annoying because RF tends to find its way into a high-gain external audio amp.

My recommendation would clearly be for the 7300 over the 590s.

Hope this helps.

73, Dan
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:15:06 AM by W5SRT » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: