The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst Solder Job-EVER, 10 pin mini din!..  (Read 12375 times)
ZS5WC

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2016, 08:43:16 AM »

Huh Shocked
Yeasu engineers obviously have eyes and fine motor skills like Robocop, with the dexterity of a neurosurgeon!..
WTF!--I have just had the misfortune of soldering a 10 pin MINI DIN connector.
And if they say MINI they mean MINI!..
First of all, The local Yaesu dealers do not stock this connector / cable--neither does the local electronics companies.
Eventually I acquired a plug from a friend, sourced all the way from OZ.

This is one fiddly little plug assembly--3 plastic housings, the connector with pins, a spring, a clip, another clip, and plug body.(All teeny tiny small!)
Now after MUCH cussing, I got the wife to hold a magnifying glass for me, I put on a pair of reading glasses, and with a woozy , disoriented feeling, started soldering.
Usually I am a soldering King!--not today!.. First attempt bridged 3 pins-aaarrrgggg!.
You are fighting the pull of the wires the angle, the solder station tip that seems like a branding iron in the magnifying glass, and a pair of tweezers to subdue the wires in the correct direction.
It is pure Hell!!.
After about an hour of many bad words, I got the job done. Then I had to correct the solder bridges..

What were Yaesu thinking with this blessed connector Huh--why not use a DB9 instead?.
Without the 10 pin connector, you cannot use the band data, alc, ptt and auto turn on functions on my Amp.
I hope NOT to repeat this job anytime soon!.

I wonder who else have had the solder connector from the abyss experience?.

73 de William
ZS4L / ZS5WC

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 09:53:57 AM »

Had they used a DB9, some idiot would have connected it to his computer, fried the computer, and complained that Yaesu should have used a different connector (like a mini-din)  Grin

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KB9WQJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 05:44:50 AM »

When I needed one of those I took a PS2 to PS2 cable, cut it in half, and then had two breakouts.  Just figure out then what color goes to what pin and you are golden.  Yes, a little bigger and messier but works.  I can't solder that tiny s**t.  LDG used to make a breakout box that came with a cable to connect the box to your xceiver but quit.  Wish I had one of those.
K4TJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 12:09:26 AM »

I second the notion of trying wire antennas first, if you have trees to hold them.
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 03:44:26 AM »

OK, as someone who also struggles with the small stuff I feel your pain, but there are lots of ways to make this job easier.

1) Buy one of the 'Helping Hands' tools where you get a couple of crocodile clips on arms with a magnifier thrown in. Glue the thing to a 15cm x 15cm base so that it doesn't move around as much. Mine was one of the best purchases I ever made.

2) Go see your optician and take with you a handful of small electronic parts so that they appreciate the task you have, I went with an AD9851 chip. Get the cheapest frames you can find (you're not making a fashion statement here) and play around with lens settings until everything at 15cm or so is in tight focus. Mine are 9 dioptre but yours will vary. EVERYTHING apart from what you are working on will be out of focus but for working on the small stuff these can't be beat.

3) Work under a strong light

4) Cut and tin all ten wires then fix the plug into your Helping Hands and tin all ten pins. Use the smallest soldering bit you have and make sure that the bit is clean.

5) Starting with the inside pins solder the wires in place. After the first wire you will have the plug held in one clip and the cable in the other.

6) Work your way outwards from the center soldering wires and correcting solder bridges as you go.

7) Test for short circuits, it's surprising how often a strand of wire gets in the wrong place.

Cool Buy yourself a beer.

See, easy  Smiley

Peter DL8OV
ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 12:02:26 AM »

Cheesy Thanks for the replies!..
Peter--some useful info there!--I did use some of those procedures, but forgot about the beer!..
Next time I suspect , before doing ANYTHING-I'll down A DOUBLE, just to steady the hands--Hi!..

Seriously, these manufacturers are losing the plot with tiny plugs--(AND they are NOT supplied with the rig..)

Thanks for the laugh!.
73 de William
ZS4L / ZS5WC
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 02:02:54 AM »

I may get into trouble for this from the editors but I do know of another solution. Someone I know repairs ham radios and CB rigs and before he does any surface mount work or attaches a tiny connector he smokes a joint. I've seen him at work, hands steady as a rock and he's really relaxed about his work  Roll Eyes

Peter DL8OV
5P0O

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 08:26:17 AM »

Go for a Yaesu SCU-28 Linear Amplifier and CAT Control Cable
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 04:23:44 PM »

One possible solution for these tiny plugs is to look for one that is already wired to a cable.  You don't care what's on the other end - just cut it off and wire your desired (non-tiny) connector on the other end.  It's what I do because I have bad astigmatism, and taking off my glasses and looking through a magnifier to solder just seems to make it worse.

73, Ed VE3WGO
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 05:02:00 AM »

For nano-work you need nano-tools. At work I use angel-hair solder, flux dropper, a magnifier and solder tips that look like meter test probes.
It would be very difficult to do this with a standard soldering iron tip:
 https://media-weller.de/weller/data/CMS%20Bilder/tip_exchange.jpg
K1VCT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 08:53:56 AM »

This reminds me of a late night repair I was once forced to perform for a customer.  His PS2 Model 55 blew its motherboard.  I got him a spare, cheep, and put it in, to be delivered to him the next day (to run his golf course irrigation).  Well... IBM in their infinate wisdom used slotted, not Philips head screws to hold things in place.  Yah, 10 at night and my screwdriver slipped and I cut through about 30 traces on a bus.   I don't wish to do that again!  And that was back when I had good eyes!

Part of the problem we face is we have one or two gadgets to solder up, and thus have to learn how without destroying things.   If you were to complete a handful, then you might have some skills developed.  Complete a score, and you might well be expert at it.   Doing just one.... uhg... better get it right.   Each item takes experience, sometimes guile and cunning!

If it works...job well done, and worth the braggin' rights!
WB0U

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 05:20:54 PM »

I helped a friend solder a mini din connector for a Yaesu.  We over heated a pin and destroyed the connector on the first attempt.  I feel your pain.

I used to scoff at people for buying assembled cables, emphasis on "used to"

Lynn
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 03:39:16 AM »

What were Yaesu thinking with this blessed connector Huh--

73 de William
ZS4L / ZS5WC

Money.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 08:17:26 AM »

I may get into trouble for this from the editors but I do know of another solution. Someone I know repairs ham radios and CB rigs and before he does any surface mount work or attaches a tiny connector he smokes a joint. I've seen him at work, hands steady as a rock and he's really relaxed about his work  Roll Eyes

Peter DL8OV

LOL!
5P0O

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 05:22:10 AM »

@William
There is a reason that they sell a cable like SCU-28.
Unfortunately is the price a bit high......

5p0o, Steen
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: