The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elk Antennas 2M/440L5 5-element log periodic  (Read 4286 times)
AF6PU

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2016, 03:39:15 PM »

Hi All,

Full disclosure - I build own and build Elk Antennas.  I just noticed today, that on July 31, 2016 my first negative review on eHam.net was posted. (http://www.eham.net/reviews/review/142854)  I am incredibly embarrassed and sorry that the operator had a bad experience with my dual-band, 2M/440L5 antenna.  And, although I sure don't want a bad review, I do appreciate hearing the ham's experiences.  Maybe there is something in there that I could use to improve my product?!

I wrote up a long letter to apologize, and offer some help and assistance to the operator, but alas, I have nowhere to send it - at least via email. Anything that I make, I am always happy to offer all the help in the world to make it work, and they do work! I am available near 24/7 via email and phone to assist in any way that I can.  Once an antenna is built and tuned by me, it is a simple device.  If it does not perform as expected, there are just a few places to look to figure out what the problem might be.  Talking with several of my fellow antenna designer/builders from around the country, we have found that improperly attached RF connections, and faulty coax are the two leading causes of antenna issues.  These issues are not always obvious, though. On my antennas, if the elements are not screwed on tightly, that can be a big issue. 

I always warranty my work.  If you are not pleased with the performance of the antenna that you get from me, just return it and I will happily give you back your money.  Additionally, I'll fix or replace anything that has manufacturing defects in it. If you run over it with your motorhome, that may be on you, however. In most cases, folks just want/need a bit of help and encouragement to get all the performance out of the antenna that they deserve and paid for.

I won't prattle on any longer, but if anyone out there ever has questions, problems, ideas, thoughts, or suggestions about any Elk Antennas product, by all means, please contact me.  I am here for you! Also, if you are friends of the unhappy poster, I would be grateful if you would forward this on to them. I want to help!

Jim Siemons, AF6PU
Elk Antennas
jim@siemons.com
925-330-0049
2308 Lomond Ln
Walnut Creek, CA 94598-3705
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 09:40:38 PM »

Jim, your post is EXACTLY why I buy your products...CUSTOMER SERVICE.

The negative review is valid, because every customer that makes the purchase also buys the right to provide feedback.  It did not meet his expectations.  That happens sometimes.  You are attempting to follow up with him.  That's excellent customer service!  I would not worry about it too much.

I can tell you that I am very happy with the mechanical aspects of the antenna, its portability, and its appearance.  Performance for LEO sat in my attic has been excellent for many years, as have the times when I did handheld ops for the satellites.

Several users have reported that the antenna coax needs to be perpendicular to the yagi for at least a foot, to prevent coax interfering with the pattern.  Also, the antenna won't perform as well as expected if it is within a wavelength of other antennas.  Neither of these is a surprise to me, and I follow that guidance and never have issues.

As a suggestion, perhaps the ham might have some specific suggestions on improvements for how the antenna would be enhanced for DF?  Clearly, the author of the review is no "newbie" and has a lot of experience.

I hope this helps you, Jim.  Thanks for an outstanding product!

Mark, WD4ELG
N3AWS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 03:47:39 PM »

Jim,

I bought that same antenna from you in 2010 and it has given me nothing but great service since.

Jim N3AWS

K4PP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 04:35:46 AM »

I bought one these log periodic in around 2010 too. The antenna has worked flawless. I recently took it down off the mast to clean it up a little and it is still in good shape. You would not believe how the Alabama sun and storms tried to kill this thing but couldn't do it.

Regarding supporting the weight in a handheld configuration, all he has to do is make lanyard out of some nylon wire at a convenient length and attach it to a balanced point on the antenna, and loop the other end around the head. you can pretty much hold the end of the antenna by the handle at your side or resting the end on your stomach all day long without supporting the weight by arm or hand. I have an arrow like this for sat work.

Edit: Actually I've had mine since 2008. I forgot i had cooked it in my attic for about 2yrs before i put it up on the mast. I looked at my review on eham.

K4PP
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 04:45:08 AM by K4PP » Logged
KENNETH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 06:01:24 AM »

Jim, thanks for taking the time to post here. 73.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 01:29:51 PM »

Jim, the gent is an old timer since I see he was born in 1946... and I can tell you as being a fellow old timer new fangled things can be confusing... LOL.

But, I see he has an  USPS address (via QRZ.com).   I'd send him an old fashioned letter, and see what happens.

Best of luck.

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: