The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icoms new IC-7610 Revealed  (Read 65025 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2016, 09:15:56 PM »

W6GX informed me of the new Icom 7610 that will probably be replacing the IC-7600 very soon.
It's SDR of course, so I guess many people will be happy about that.  I guess I am not as enthusiastic about it as I thought I would be, mainly because they did away with many of the buttons and once again are going in very heavily dependent on touch screen technology. I will say that it does look great and should perform really well with an FPGA that is so much better than the one in the 7300 which on it's own has already proven to be very impressive.

What do you think?

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUk6kMhW6Gg

N7XGR did some Translation on the Specs:

1. Enclosure form factor of the same size approx 7600.
2. Larger touch screen.
3. 13.8Vdc @ 25A input, external PSU.
4. Greater capacity ADC, lower noise. Higher sample rate. (Possibly longer bit string) [16-bit ADC].
5. More powerful DSP. [, Faster TMS32C6XXX TI DSP IC series].
6. Built-in web-server for Internet remote, wired or wireless connectivity locally. [Can Also be RS-BA1 server]
7. Dual-watch, with no signal degradation, and true cross band, cross mode capability. [Dual demod May require 2 DSP chains].
8. Lots of additional RAM space for future expansion software.
9. 100watt out, full duty cycle any mode, 1hr rating, very low distortion HPA design. [LDMS Easily Done with new devices].
10. Scope With audio video clip capture. [Feasible If sufficient memory provided].
11. 100 dB dynamic range spectrum scope & calibrated (S-units & dBm).

73s
Rob

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 11:25:37 AM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 02:30:13 AM »

Wow. What about the price ?
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 02:36:02 AM »

I just googled it any they said around 3000 USD !
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 07:34:22 AM »

Looks like an absolute winner to me. I've had my 7600 for five years now and love it. However, when the 7610 is released, it's on my list. Based on the popularity of the 7300, and its receiver specs, the improved 7610 will be another game changer. IMO, gonna really cut into the Flex series.

From what I see in the pictures, they eliminated the tiny knobs at the bottom of the radio...some of them pretty important for the inconvenient place they are on the 7600. Key speed is a larger knob on the right side. Although it still doesn't have two receivers (for SO2V), the Dual-Watch feature is way better than the 7600. There's separate panadapter/waterfalls for each Dual-Watch band, which, especially in contesting, let's you "see" simultaneous band activity pop up for efficiency in switching bands. Also, there's separate audio controls instead of a "balance" control. I hardly ever use the Dual-Watch on my 7600...find it confusing to just hear both single frequencies in both ears simultaneously, even with adjusting the balance. Display size is great for aging eyes and large fingers. Time will tell how well the touch screen will hold up.

Kenwood and Yaesu better get on the stick, or they'll be left in the dust. If the proposed price is around $3,000, Icom will far outpace the competition.

73, Bob K7JQ
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 10:30:26 AM »

Is this the one that responds to voice commands similar to smartphones?
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 11:22:46 AM »

I kind of wonder why they bothered with the SD card slot on the front.  They already have two USB ports, so why not just depend on memory sticks.

Also I do not see the RF Power Knob!!  Please tell me you don't have to go into a menu to change power levels.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
K9RX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 02:40:50 PM »

and you can plug in an external display!
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 03:58:42 PM »

Also I do not see the RF Power Knob!!  Please tell me you don't have to go into a menu to change power levels.

73s
Rob

You have to go into a menu to change power levels (ala the 7300). Could be a PITA to change drive power to an amp on different bands. Not a good thing for an "upgrade".

I know...you didn't want me to tell you that  Cheesy

73, Bob K7JQ
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 05:42:12 PM »

Also I do not see the RF Power Knob!!  Please tell me you don't have to go into a menu to change power levels.

73s
Rob

You have to go into a menu to change power levels (ala the 7300). Could be a PITA to change drive power to an amp on different bands. Not a good thing for an "upgrade".

I know...you didn't want me to tell you that  Cheesy

73, Bob K7JQ

Thanks Bob for the Bad News   Cheesy

Why Icom Why?  Angry Angry Angry

BTW IMO the guy who did the Layout of the front really screwed up.
The Split and Dual Watch nested tightly between two knobs is going to be really painful to work with and secondly why put the Timer button on the front when you left out so many other important buttons??  Who uses the Timer?  I have never used it but if I did, that would be one thing that I would happily go into a menu to set.  I know am nit picking but RF power, Mic Gain, Key speed and Notch are now buried into menus and those are thing I am always playing around with.

73s
Rob
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 07:16:35 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 05:50:25 PM »

Good to see that the "Rumor Mill" list hit so many of the marks, only thing we got wrong was the model number, but not by much.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 06:29:57 AM »

Also I do not see the RF Power Knob!!  Please tell me you don't have to go into a menu to change power levels.

73s
Rob

I know...you didn't want me to tell you that  Cheesy

73, Bob K7JQ

Thanks Bob for the Bad News   Cheesy

Why Icom Why?  Angry Angry Angry

BTW IMO the guy who did the Layout of the front really screwed up.
The Split and Dual Watch nested tightly between two knobs is going to be really painful to work with and secondly why put the Timer button on the front when you left out so many other important buttons??  Who uses the Timer?  I have never used it but if I did, that would be one thing that I would happily go into a menu to set.  I know am nit picking but RF power, Mic Gain, Key speed and Notch are now buried into menus and those are thing I am always playing around with.

73s
Rob

Well, "key speed" is a large knob on the right side, concentric with "pitch". On the bottom, there are buttons for "menu" and "quick". Perhaps "quick" will be one screen with frequently used menu items like RF power, mic gain, and notch...adjustable with the "multi" knob. The 7300 manual might have explanations for those, as it also has a "quick" button. There are two USB ports on the front. Perhaps you'll also be able to use a mouse and keyboard, instead of the touch screen. Just guessing at this point...we'll have to wait until the specs come out.

73,  Bob K7JQ 
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 10:26:18 AM »

This new offering from Icom look good on paper so far, now if it does better than the lab numbers of the 7300 in blocking, 2nd order IMD and has a more stout band pass filter network which would allow it to work well in a competitive contest environment (no dither needed) I am in. This may be the radio to give the Flex 6500 a run for its money and at under $3k it would kill the competition, Yaesu and Kenwood better get on the band wagon cause it looks like Icom is looking to do a clean weep.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 07:26:17 PM »

If it is as good as the 7300 this will kill Flex radio sales. I don't miss the knobs at all.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 07:55:31 PM »

If it is as good as the 7300 this will kill Flex radio sales. I don't miss the knobs at all.

I think Icom is crunching the sales numbers and realizes that the current trend of Ham radio related companies closing down is only going to accelerate as the solar minimum comes around.  It's really sad but I think that one way or the other this is probably true unless some miracle happens to keep sales steady during the next 5-6 years.  

IMO Icom has quickly maneuvered themselves with existing R&D cash to have products that keep them on the top of the heap during the lean years.  I think it's going to be really hard for Flex and Elecraft to sell their current products at the same price point with Icom having these models and possibly a 7800 style SDR replacement on the market.   Add to that the flood of used 7600 and other radios that will be showing up on eBay and it does not bode well for the other companies unless they have something coming out soon.  It's pretty hard to develop new products from scratch when the cash flow is slowing down.

73s
Rob
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 10:46:30 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016, 08:23:36 PM »

Rob just hit upon a reality that everyone has missed. With  the new radio sales flowing into ICOM the radio market will flood with high end used radios. The Old 7600 is a fine radio but with numbers it will be selling for $1500 used in no time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: