Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSO PARTY - ON - the DX Spots Sources?????  (Read 960 times)
NE5C

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2007, 04:20:16 PM »

You just gotta laugh this weekend, as I've never seen so many "QSO PARTY" spotted by US Hams - and splattered all over the - "DX SPOT SOURCES" and yet... the poor DX - never stood a chance, it never mattered if they were there first, OR TRYING TO WORK - "They still Got SPLATTERED!" As Jed Clampett, used to say - "Pitiful - Pure Pitiful!!!!"  
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 07:45:15 AM »

WoW, biggest year yet for the California Kilo-watt stations. I just turned it off and played with antennas. I did work Spain, his 6 over 4 stacked mono-banders at 200' covered them all. (:-)

73, de Lindy
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 12:20:21 PM »

While I do enjoy some contests, on weekends like the last one, I also enjoy the WARC bands. I just love 30M.

Clint - W5CPT
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 09:43:48 PM »

Sour Grapes...

If you need a spotting network to work DX, then somethings lacking.

FWIW, I worked two (2!) all time new ones this week-end, 9U and 3C; contest or no contest.

While you were apparently waiting for a "DX Spot" to tell you where to listen, the rest of us were WORKING the DX!

No "Big gun" here either, all band dipole at 25 meters fed with ladder line. I did use the KW though...

73 Gary
NE5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 04:16:54 PM »

It's NOT sour Grapes Gary...And I call the DX - they hear me, and they answer me - and I log them in with no problems.

My post simply stated was about using the feature "For Which it is intended." But...I have heard that next week, they are going to start spotting in - everything for sale down at the local Flea markets and thrift shops. Never can tell...A fellow just might, find one of them "BIG GUN STATIONS" that you mentioned.
W3ML

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 07:40:28 AM »

I, too, worked the 9U and 3C on the weekend despite the QSO party.

I used 100 watts though not a kilowatt.

John
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 07:06:20 PM »

Just saw a FLORIDA station spot an INDIANA station on the DX cluster.  I suppose DX has changed, huh?
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 09:33:04 AM »

RE: QSO PARTY - ON - the DX Spots Sources?Huh?  Reply  
by AF3Y on October 14, 2007  
Just saw a FLORIDA station spot an INDIANA station on the DX cluster. I suppose DX has changed, huh?  
------------------------------------------------------

The general meaning of the term DX is distance.  So there is nothing wrong in Florida spotting an Indiana station.  For example, if it was 15M and up or VHF/UFH, it lets people know that those bands are open at that particular moment.  On VHF/UHF, that is generally considered "DX".

Just because the DXCC has defined DX in terms of that  award, it doesn't mean that is the only definition of DX.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 05:53:20 PM »

N8UZE says:

The general meaning of the term DX is distance. So there is nothing wrong in Florida spotting an Indiana station. For example, if it was 15M and up or VHF/UFH, it lets people know that those bands are open at that particular moment. On VHF/UHF, that is generally considered "DX".

Just because the DXCC has defined DX in terms of that award, it doesn't mean that is the only definition of DX.

Well, I suppose you are correct. However, we can all have different interpretations of DX.  Mine, for what it's worth, is outside CONUS.  I believe I posted a note about the Georgia station who last week spotted his friend who, according to mapquest was less than 30 miles away from the spotter. DX? Really?? I think not.

Perhaps DX has a different meaning for DXers than it does for Ragchewers or Chicken Banders. After all DXCC awards ARE for contacts with entities/countries, not your neighbors "up the road" like the Georgia lid.    73, Gene
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »

DX is relative, I suppose, although the normally accepted convention on the HF bands is that DX is outside of CONUS, as previously stated.

QUOTE "I, too, worked the 9U and 3C on the weekend despite the QSO party.
I used 100 watts though not a kilowatt.
John "

Hey John, you were probably much louder than I was too! It is not easy for us West Coast stations to work Africa through the East Coast DX'ers!

73 Gary
AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 01:04:39 PM »

It's actually called a packet cluster.  It was first used by contesters to spot other stations that were working the contest.  It caught on with DXers also, so when there was no contest in progress it could be used to spot DX (long distance) stations.  Some hams now refer to it as the DX cluster.

73, Jim
AD6WL
NE5C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 05:24:40 AM »

Huummmm I wonder why... "The HamRadio Deluxe Website" and Telnet also named it, or calls it, "THE DX CLUSTER" maybe someone will come up with a "CONTEST CLUSTER" but then...maybe, they already have.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 07:06:55 AM »

The name doesn't really matter.  If it were named the "contest cluster" then people would complain about all the DX listings, etc.  No matter what we call it, some one will complain.
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 01:48:30 PM »

It was called Packet Cluster back in the day as it utilized packet radio technology.  These days I have no idea how much (or how little) is done via packet radio anymore.  So DX Cluster may be a more appropriate name for current times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: