Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st DX contacts!  (Read 1048 times)
N0XJO

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2008, 08:58:44 PM »

This last weekend I made my first non-US contact with a Brazilian station using 75 watts from Minnesota. When we were done, another PY station hopped in for a few minutes.

I was pretty excited and told my wife that I just talked to Brazilian people. She tried to share in my excitement and said "Wow, that’s a lot of people! How many is a brazilian anyway?"

I’m so glad she supports me in this hobby.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 09:56:56 PM »

Congratulations!

As Obi-wan said, you have just taken your first step into a larger world.

May all your DXing be fun.
W6RS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 04:31:53 AM »

Scott - I hope you realize that you are now infected with a virus that has no known cure! I made my first DX QSO in 1966 and have been chasing it ever since. The next step will be attending DX conventions and many late nights listening to static crashes on the low bands. It's a fabulous hobby with some of the finest people you'll ever meet.
You'll have a great adventure working your way up the DX ladder and hopefully finally attaining the Honor Roll.

73 and Gud DX

Rich = W6RS
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 04:13:43 PM »

"I’m so glad she supports me in this hobby."

My XYL did too... at first.  After the first 100 times of me running in the other room excitedly proclaiming "I just worked Malawi!" or some such it lost a little luster for her.   Not for me.  I still get a kick out of contacting far away places.

have fun!

73 de Eric KG6MZS
AA8LL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 09:40:46 AM »

"Wow, that’s a lot of people! How many is a brazilian anyway?"

Now the wife needs her own ham license.  Tell her a female OP is always a YL, no matter her age.  But if no license, she's an XYL.  My YL op, K8LIZ, likes to operate from islands and "be" the DX.  The darn 'roos keep knocking over the antennas.

I don't know why this video came to mind.

http://www.biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=4702%20%20%20
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 05:46:45 PM »

Congrats!  You are going to have great fun as the new cycle unwinds upward.  I'm just about all CW, and recently my xyl came out of the shack and said, "I hear all the beeping (sic)...did you work the Aliens?"  Fortunately, she supports me 100%.  Keep it up, my friend, and all the best.  73, Richard, n5xm
WD6S

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 06:46:06 AM »

I am new to the HF game too. (I am an Extra-lite as of last May.) Last night I made a contact in Cuba that made my day. I have made contacts in Brazil, Argentina, Nicaragua, Netherlands Antilles, Japan, and Russian Siberia, as well as Mexico and Canada, and each new country gives me a real thrill. Even Hawaii and Alaska give me a sense of accomplishment. This radio stuff can be complex and frustrating when a problem arises, but when all is working well and you make a DX contact, life is good.  I share your enthusiasm and understand your sense of satisfaction.

And I love the line "How many are in a Brazilian".
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 08:20:55 AM »

One of the things that intimidated me a little when I first got into DXing were the massive pileups for DXpeditions that I could never seem to bust with my 100W and low wires (on SSB). I made the mistake of ignoring them figuring they were only for guys with beams and amps and I'd have no chance--so I just settled for easy ones, contests, etc. Well, along came K1B (Baker/Howland) and Trindade (PW0T) and lo-and-behold, I made it through, and on several bands, too! W00T, as they say. And the rest is history.

My advice: Go after everything that moves. By now St. Barts and J5C are begging and easy. It took me 5 years to work a J5 for the first time, so go for 'em while the gittin's good, as they say!

Welcome to the fun!

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KI4PRK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 01:56:36 PM »

Quick! Help him while there's still time! NOOOO......

Welcome to the wonderful world of DX! Just remember not to listen to those who say there's no propagation right now because of the sunspots. HORSE HOCKEY! I've worked 192 countries since November '06... ALL at the bottom of the sunspot cycle! Go get FO/OH1RX while they're still on... FO/M is a very rare one and the pileups have died down. I think they're still on one or two more days...
  A tip: don't go reading about famous old DXpeditions, or recent ones to super-rare entities. That will just make you feel dissapointed that you came along just too late to work a country that hadn't been on in 10 years. It's impossible to come into the hobby at a time when there was just recently a DXpedition to an ultra-rare entity. In fact, you came along just in time to work VP6DX and TX0C, to Ducie and Clipperton respectively, two rare entities.

If you want, you can read the article I wrote here on eham in November about beginning in DX: www.eham.net/articles/18080 .

73, es CU in the pileups, de Brennen KI4PRK age 13
KB5IAV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 06:25:40 PM »

Way to go!  That first DX is always something special.  Mine was G3JQI in Norwich, UK in 1989, and I was running 20 watts CW on 15 meters into an attic antenna.  Once I made to general, I was working alot of Europe on 20 meters in the evening.  I show people some of the East German cards I have and they are really surprised.

If you're going to get into working DX and collecting QSL cards, bring yourself up to speed on the use of the QSL bureau system as well as return postage for DX stations, IRCs, and so forth, if you haven't done so already.

Welcome to the whole new world of DX!

Jon, KB5IAV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: