The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-930s repair shops  (Read 8749 times)
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 03:00:45 PM »

The 930 has many unobtainium parts now and a phone call to see if they are even accepted is a good idea. I sold my two 930's when they were getting troublesome and have been using 940's plus a 950SD since . Also have 4 830's with 3 driving transverters and the other on the amp repair bench where it gives them full on the air tests before returing to the owners.

Clif is also fairly regular on the QRZ.com Boatanchors forum.

Carl
N1UKX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 04:29:07 AM »

Has anyone used K3TEN for repairs?
He's a lot closer to CT and sure would feel better if the radio didn't travel across country.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 04:58:47 AM »

He's a lot closer to CT and sure would feel better if the radio didn't travel across country.

Its not the traveling you have to worry about but rather the handling of package at terminals. It is quite possible for a package to get "beat up" more on a shorter trip than a long one. I would also use FedEx ground too.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 08:35:18 PM »

The 930 had major problems keeping power supplies.  At one time you could buy a complete power supply module from Kenwood for $99.00, but no more.

FAR Circuits sell a PCB to build a same size power supply for the 930 but with better components and a better design.

Before I would shelf it I would have a look at the two voltage outputs of the power supply.  If they are correct, then it's back to a repairman or the shelf. 

Of course you could also eBay it as a hanger queen.  No doubt many 930 owners are interested in parts.
K2YWE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2017, 07:15:58 PM »

I don't know if this question is OBE for you by now, but my answer is yes I used him and Hell No! Don't let him touch your radio.  Details on request.
N1UKX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 06:10:18 AM »

Thank you for that bit of info.
I've decided not to have the TS-930 repaired as it is a old radio.
I'm going to sell it on e-bay as a parts rig.
I'm thinking of a new TS-590SG as the replacement rig.....
AG4ME

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 08:46:36 AM »

I repaired a TS-930  years ago for someone....  had to replace the RF amp driver transistors,
then made the cooling fan in the back be on all the time.   And I think I replaced
the power supply transistors ( 2N3772's ? )  and there was 28 volts to the
RF amp section. .   I crossed my fingers when I powered it up, and it is still working
as far as I know. . .  I said to myself - "I will never work on a TS-930 again!"

But maybe I would again... look me up.... AG4ME  in southern Louisiana...
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: