The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHY NOT JUST SCRAP THE TEST  (Read 31846 times)
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2017, 09:22:16 AM »

Plankeye makes the assumption that I do not operate CW or know the code.  Through rhetorical filtering he thinks he's got me.  Sometimes what is not said doesn't mean the truth is not present.  So for the record, I do use CW even though I found the license easier to take without CW testing.  So yes, in my case the elimination of the CW requirement in 2007 allowed a number of us to get our licenses. 

But does lowering the standards for an entry level license which will be so low truly constitute a real license?  Or rather, is it just a pay to play with the excuse that the entry level license is to bring youth into amateur radio?  Again, this is just the ARRL groping for an increase in their revenue stream to add more hams to the fold at the expense of amateur radio standards. 

And finally, IMO the FCC doesn't give a hoot about amateur radio...I'm sure that all the petty bureaucrats at the commission just see ham radio like CB with a license.  They do care about hams who leave the confines of their allocated spectrum and interfere with whoever...then you get their attention.  The crap that goes on within the allocated bands doesn't register with the FCC unless some irate ham files a formal complaint and then they have to investigate. 

KC2QYM

When you lower the licensing standards a bit you do get more people into this service/hobby; there's no doubt about it. I myself was motivated to get my license when the code requirement was eliminated but I was also determined to build antennas, work on radios and related equipment, and become a good operator. I was an SWL listener for years before sitting for the test and had an early interest in all things radio. However, I posit that lowering the licensing standards anymore will further sully and diminish amateur radio to the depths of CB and a certain uniqueness in the differences between CB and ham radio will evaporate.

PLANKEYE

So it was OK to drop the code in YOUR circumstance because you were determined to be a good ham, antenna builder ETC... but not determined enough to learn CW?  You say in your post above that lowering licensing standards diminish amateur radio.  Why are folks so shocked when I say the CW requirement should have stayed in place 5-13-20 WPM?  But this is what we have now a diminished amateur radio almost to the depths of CB.  I say scrap the test and let the DETERMINED folks build antennas, be good operators ETC... Kinda like you did when you didn't have to test for CW.       
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2017, 04:49:14 PM »

KC2QYM

Plankeye makes the assumption that I do not operate CW or know the code.  Through rhetorical filtering he thinks he's got me.  Sometimes what is not said doesn't mean the truth is not present.  So for the record, I do use CW even though I found the license easier to take without CW testing.  So yes, in my case the elimination of the CW requirement in 2007 allowed a number of us to get our licenses. 

PLANKEYE

Well I'm glad you enjoy CW now that you have learned it.  How hard would that have been to learn it for the test?  I find the license easier to take without the TEST.  I say scrap the test and allow more numbers of folks like you to get your licenses.     
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2017, 11:54:42 AM »

Plankeye...the jury is still out if you are indeed a licensed amateur radio operator, a naive newbie radio enthusiast who is on the fence about getting your license, or just a pirate. Sometimes you get caught in a lie and it doesn't seem to phase you. One can conclude that you are missing some personality components which edge you into the dishonest category. Your posts are like probing sticks trying to elicit responses from others for the sheer delight to see how people will respond to you.  In my opinion, people who mask their true identity on eham by not providing their call signs have no real currency here.  You're just a QRMer who imposes himself among legitimate users.   I can't speak for the webmaster's ability to vet eham users but even if you are a real ham, you don't have respect  from many because you hide your identity  (callsign).  Even KTN is a known person.  So unless you grow some big ones and identify with your call sign, don't you dare impose your judgement or opinion on others in these forums.
KLONDIKEMIKE

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2017, 12:42:58 PM »

... In my opinion, people who mask their true identity on eham by not providing their call signs have no real currency here... So unless you grow some big ones and identify with your call sign, don't you dare impose your judgement or opinion on others in these forums.
This comment offended me enough to jump in and offer "my opinion". I am not defending anything Plankeye says or does but I do object that by not identifying oneself on ANY forum is taboo and any comments worthless. Of course I am saying this because I am using a pseudonym as well for all the good reasons one does.

Mark Twain, Dr. Seuss, Mary Westmacott, Mrs. Silence Dogood, Paul French, Robert Galbraith, Richard Bachman, Stan Lee, George Orwell, Woody Allen, John Wayne, Alan Alda, Jon Stewart ... would all back me and other pseudonym users on this.

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2017, 01:13:10 PM »

Mike,

Same reason I don't have my call sign on my licesne plate. I don't want a bunch of
hams following me home.

"H-yuk, h-yuk, let me see your rig man."

Kraus
KK6RPX

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2017, 09:32:22 PM »

In my opinion, people who mask their true identity on eham by not providing their call signs have no real currency here.  You're just a QRMer who imposes himself among legitimate users.   

+1. Just noise.

Quote from:  link=topic=111853.msg1024500#msg1024500 date=1506973378
This comment offended me enough to jump in and offer "my opinion". I am not defending anything Plankeye says or does but I do object that by not identifying oneself on ANY forum is taboo and any comments worthless. Of course I am saying this because I am using a pseudonym as well for all the good reasons one does.

He didn't say on ANY forum, he said eham. Ham radio is a licensed hobby and you are supposed to know who you are talking to. That is part of the accountability. And plankeye clearly has something hide. I don't have a problem having my call attached to my posts. What are all these "good reasons that someone does"?
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2017, 08:45:11 AM »

Plankeye???  What happened to ZENKI, did he take a sabbatical?
Art
AF7JA

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2017, 04:31:38 AM »

Different places, different norms. The norm here is clearly to use call-signs for usernames. People who refuse to conform with the group norm are treated with less respect. That is common in all subcultures.
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2017, 05:18:03 PM »

KC2QYM

Plankeye...the jury is still out if you are indeed a licensed amateur radio operator, a naive newbie radio enthusiast who is on the fence about getting your license, or just a pirate. Sometimes you get caught in a lie and it doesn't seem to phase you. One can conclude that you are missing some personality components which edge you into the dishonest category. Your posts are like probing sticks trying to elicit responses from others for the sheer delight to see how people will respond to you.  In my opinion, people who mask their true identity on eham by not providing their call signs have no real currency here.  You're just a QRMer who imposes himself among legitimate users.   I can't speak for the webmaster's ability to vet eham users but even if you are a real ham, you don't have respect  from many because you hide your identity  (callsign).  Even KTN is a known person.  So unless you grow some big ones and identify with your call sign, don't you dare impose your judgement or opinion on others in these forums.

PLANKEYE

I'm sorry you feel that way and I thought you made some really great points on being determined to be a good operator, what you said about testing regarding CW etc..   This is a hobby where you have a really great opportunity to make a positive difference in someones life either on the internet or on the air.       
KLONDIKEMIKE

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2017, 06:30:17 PM »

Different places, different norms. The norm here is clearly to use call-signs for usernames. People who refuse to conform with the group norm are treated with less respect. That is common in all subcultures.
Thank you for describing succinctly how this site and other similar sites feel regarding call-signs for usernames. Pre-Internet, this has been the acceptable norm. These days with easy information access and security concerns the norm, this subculture will have to change. I have. I am safer for it. I do understand why things are as they are here. Don't disrespect or hate me for it.

KOP

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2017, 07:04:14 PM »

I was allowed entry prior to a callsign.
I might get around to changing it.
I may not.
I'm really not that hard to find.
I've even posted my call here.
I'm over it really.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2017, 05:38:01 AM »

KOP,

You have such an elegant way of laughing at people and they don't know it.

160 meters, Morse. Yowee! 'Tis the season.

Kraus
K1AVE

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2017, 10:47:43 AM »

...."to demonstrate knowlege..."     How? By memorizing the letters to multiple choice queations that are proviede in the exact form as the exams? The system is pretty much a farce at this point.

The people who are interested in learning will learn, because it's a technical challange in so many areas. The stated purpose of the Amateur Radio Service has, for a long time, been ignored.

Those that want it made even easier are most likely selling ham gear.

K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2017, 08:45:47 AM »

...."to demonstrate knowlege..."     How? By memorizing the letters to multiple choice queations that are proviede in the exact form as the exams? The system is pretty much a farce at this point.

The people who are interested in learning will learn, because it's a technical challange in so many areas. The stated purpose of the Amateur Radio Service has, for a long time, been ignored.

Those that want it made even easier are most likely selling ham gear.

I don't think I disagree with you, but I'm wondering what you might suggest as a better way.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2017, 07:41:58 PM »

Don't forget that most of the new licensee's never get on the air.  There is no profit in that.
Art
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: