The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHY NOT JUST SCRAP THE TEST  (Read 32551 times)
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2017, 11:53:52 PM »

By memorizing the letters to multiple choice queations that are proviede in the exact form as the exams? The system is pretty much a farce at this point.

Couple points here. I don't know about any other instructors or V.E.'s but my admonition at every class or session is " You can memorize the answers but you will have nothing to teach "
Memorization or demonstrated learning, either works as a pass is a pass.

At this point? The code sending requirement went away in 1978. SO it's been a farce since 1978?

At this point? In 1983 we got the VE system and published Q&A pools. Same exact system as today. So it's been a farce since 1983?

Or at this point? In 1990 we got medical waivers for the 13 and 20 wpm code tests. Anybody could get any class of license with just 5 wpm code and a doctor's note. So a farce since 1990?

Or at this point? On February 23, 2007 The FCC rescinded the Morse code requirement for all amateur license classes. So a farce since 2007?

So which is it ? A farce for 39 years, 34 years, 27 years, or 10 years?

This one time the details are important.

October 02, 2017, 07:53:41 PM
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2017, 06:50:01 AM »

So license or no license, if someoone intends to be a pain they'll be a pain.

Remember the battle cry to the no-code technician class license?

"knowing code keeps the riff-raff out.'

As Wayne Green said, "Har-dee-har!'

Kraus
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2017, 01:30:50 PM »

KOP here

Couple points here. I don't know about any other instructors or V.E.'s but my admonition at every class or session is " You can memorize the answers but you will have nothing to teach "
Memorization or demonstrated learning, either works as a pass is a pass.

At this point? The code sending requirement went away in 1978. SO it's been a farce since 1978?

At this point? In 1983 we got the VE system and published Q&A pools. Same exact system as today. So it's been a farce since 1983?

Or at this point? In 1990 we got medical waivers for the 13 and 20 wpm code tests. Anybody could get any class of license with just 5 wpm code and a doctor's note. So a farce since 1990?

Or at this point? On February 23, 2007 The FCC rescinded the Morse code requirement for all amateur license classes. So a farce since 2007?

So which is it ? A farce for 39 years, 34 years, 27 years, or 10 years?

This one time the details are important.

PLANKEYE HERE"

Now those are some really great points some people did not know about.  Great post.  Taking away requirements to obtain the license has been a huge debate in the past as everyone knows.  Well let's start in 1978.  Anyone who has been in this hobby since 1978 or before and active on the radio to the present day I have a question.  If we could replay tapes of 1978 ham radio and compare them to todays ham radio would they sound the same?  The people throwing carriers 80 meters language is not fit to listen to with a child around 40 and 20 are not much better.  Was it like that back in 1978?  A lot of you sometimes lead off with I have been a ham for 46 years blah blah.  Well, here is your chance to talk about what it was like back in 1978 compared to now days.  Back in 1978 when all they did was do away with SENDING CW for the test as KOP has pointed out Q&A pools nope not until 1983.  You old timers can tell us but if the respect level and the overall way people treat each other on the air now days was the same in 1978 I do not see a need for a test.  Thanks again KOP for a great post very informative.  Have a blessed day.    
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 01:33:17 PM by PLANKEYE » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: