The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repeater on-the-cheap suggestions??  (Read 4578 times)
KD2E

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2016, 08:23:32 AM »

For a local Scout camp, I'm investigating the possibility of installing a ham repeater.
I know I could get a upper-end Motorola setup, or even a Yaesu/Kenwood unit (which may still happen!!!).
But, how can I do a work-able repeater on the cheap?
Can a pair of Beufeng mobile rigs work?
What would your suggestion be for faster/cheaper on-the-air?
I know I need radio, controller, duplexer, and antenna.
The antenna could be a ham Comet or Diamond. I guess the duplexer is where you don't want to skimp...to keep the transmitter
out of the cheap receiver.
Any thoughts?
If there is no cheap, workable solution....I'll re-think!!!
Thanks all!!
...Dave   KD2E
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 02:18:23 PM »

Well, define cheap!!!  What is your price range?   Serious answers really depend upon the depth of the pockets involved.

Duplexer is the biggest expense, and the heart of the system.

Pete
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 03:15:40 PM »

Get a 440 repeater to keep your duplexer costs down
And you don't need much power
A 10 watt repeater will provide plenty of coverage
Kenwood tkr820 repeaters are on eBay at $250 or less

Used mobile duplexers are $150 or so

Or you could use two antennas vertically separated

Stay away from all the hamgrade antennas if yo want to avoid problems

The only ham grade antenna I've ever seen that was built well enough for repeater service is the Hustler G6-440 or the G6-144 for2 meters
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 03:47:09 PM »

Maybe 2 home brew ground planes?
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 07:49:02 AM »

N8EKT gives good advice.  440 is much easier and cheaper!  And, you're more likely to find an open pair that can be coordinated.

Pete
W6SWO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 01:09:49 PM »

What about using a radio with cross-band repeat capabilities like a Yaesu FT-8800/8900?  That would work for a demonstration.
N2DOW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 01:47:38 AM »

A couple of Motorola maxtracs would be a cheap and reliable option as far as the radios. Repeater builder has tons of info on them. Just be aware of the rules. If it's a permanent setup it should be coordinated.
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 06:55:40 AM »

A couple of Motorola maxtracs would be a cheap and reliable option as far as the radios. Repeater builder has tons of info on them. Just be aware of the rules. If it's a permanent setup it should be coordinated.

K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 07:59:10 AM »

If the repeater situation in your area is anything like it is in my area, we have a repeater for each ham in the area.  Since each ham is monitoring his own repeater, no one ever talks to anyone.  All repeaters are dead 24/7 with absolutely no activity unless in the case of severe weather , and then everyone is on the weather repeater.  Do you really need your own repeater?  Isn't there at least a dozen unused repeaters you can access from your area of interest?  "What we have here is a failure to communicate"..  So says the warden in "cool hand luke".

If you really have no repeater coverage, then by all means disregard what I just said. But I just hate the fact that we have a repeater on every frequency now, and they are all useless. "back in the day" we had a couple, and they were in use 24/7, and it was a much happier situation.
N2DOW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 08:17:38 AM »

I guess I wasn't paying much attention to the dates considering this thread was at the top of page 2..

I agree, if there is already a repeater available in the area use it. Someone has put a lot of time and effort into it.
Chances are this guy has already written off the idea anyway.  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: