The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote Operation - Audio Requirements  (Read 3443 times)
N2GEW

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2017, 09:01:20 AM »

I was hoping to have some conversation of what I consider my most challenging aspect of reliable station remote control ... the audio.

Some years ago, I started out with the reliable combination of HRD/Teamviewer/SignaLink USB/DLI Web Power Switch and Skype for the audio. This really seemed to work out the best for me EXCEPT I wanted to improve things with the audio connection: quality, latency etc. I also have a new Kenwood radio and wanted to utilize the dedicated server/client capability for controlling the radio remotely. Moving through some other audio "alternatives" intending to avoid audio via USB, I began putting more demands on my computer sound card. And wanting to utilize an SDR "panadapter" when at my local station seemed to increase the demands. I am at the point now where the computer sound card (Realtek) requires "re-configuration" to accommodate my changing operating style: not a very practical approach.

I have also had recurring issues getting the correct audio levels. First satisfying the remote sound card level, next the VOIP level out, the VOIP level received at the host, the host sound card levels for the speaker and mic/line: all followed by the radio levels for the connection at the radio, in and out. It seems very often I am wondering in what order to look at these to have a reasonable ALC level for transmission.

I am considering one of two options:  installing a "second" sound card in the host that can be dedicated to the radio audio levels and thus allow the rest of the family access to normal audio computing requirements on the first card OR considering the Remoterig RRC-Micro PC-Client.

The first is the relatively inexpensive and seemingly the sensible option, although I am sure it may require some amount of "fiddling" to get it right. The second option is expensive and paramount to "running up the white flag". It would be fast and very functional I suspect.

My two cents: I always enjoy reading others experiences

Herb - N2GEW
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 11:12:27 AM »

Have you looked at RCForb?

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: