The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "Good Ol Boy Network" on ham radio  (Read 12247 times)
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 11:39:55 AM »

I'm not sure what your driving at.
You know how many repeaters on all the bands, their are all over the country plus the ones not coordinated?
The only enforcement is a violation of the part 97 rules.
Otherwise the repeater 'owners' have the call to legally ban users for undesirable  operating backed up by the US  FCC on a second offense basis and by official notice in writing, then it becomes an FCC enforceable action.
The other way is to turn off the repeater for periods of time. This does not really fix any issue.
Our license is an agreement with our FCC to know the rules, operate with respect and use good engineering practice with the equipment.
Unfortunately, there are many who are either ignorant, to crude, don't care about there privilege of having a Ham license.
As stated in a previous reply, I have one repeater in my area full of operation disrespect, QRMing , even re-selling equipment on a business basis weekly in the swap/shop net.
The re-selling rule is very vague in section 113 but never the less people will try to change the meaning of it.
It's the people, their background and attitudes.
Until the hammer comes  down, they will not learn.
To go on, there are wide area networks that get QRMed and accessed by poor operators.
It all come back to individual character.
The best way in my opinion is the operate and show good operating practice and hope some of it rubs off.
Good luck.

FORMER_K2OOL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 08:26:49 PM »

I'm not saying everyone is ill of the hobby,but there are some destructive hams who are quick to judge and simply
do not like newcomers or newcomers radios (aka Baofengs and Wouxuns)(hey,they work,right?)And tend to say
nasty things and even jam with no ID whatsoever.I was listening to a group on a local repeater to me in NYC today
say the same sort of things about newcomers....oddly they barely ever ID and the S and F bomb go off quite often!
Im not saying I'm perfect or even close,but S and F do not need to be every other word.
They comtinued on talking about CB radioisms and how the new people with the cheap chinese radios operate poorly.
Sadly they all sounded like sailors to me(very vulgar) and even shut off the 440MHZ input so I couldnt even comment
if I wanted to.(guess they figured they were going to "hear about it".)
If people are going to call people poor operators they should first Set an Example!!!!!!!
I am not saying they were targeting me,I just get a kick out of the rock throwing on certain frequencies.
Everyone is a brother ham or sister ham,remember that.Say it with me.
We are all HAMS!
When theres an Emergency or you need help,remember the little guy.Dont be so quick to judge.
HF VHF and UHF all have the same issues,lets not make new ones with our close minds.
Peace to all my brothers and sisters out there.Lets all play nice.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 08:30:24 PM by K2OOL » Logged
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 01:52:11 PM »

Oh, this is nothing new...  don't imagine that it is.

I remember an old coot back in the sixties hearing a W2 who was known for saying "no kids, no lids, no space cadets..." when calling CQ.

I remember one local who always told new comers that he refused to talk to WA1 or WB1 Johnny Come -lately hams.  Just ignore them and move on. You are probably better off not associating with them.

Pete

There was more to his screed:  "No lids, no kids, no space cadets... No novices, no technicians, I want first class operators only".  CQ CQ CQ.

I am actually old enough to remember hearing that.   And that is pretty darn old....Smiley
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 03:01:40 PM »

Well back then, if he was calling CQ on SSB then Novice/Tech would not reply on HF since they only had CW privileges on HF (except for 28 MHz, if I remember correctly).
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 08:08:19 PM »

Well back then, if he was calling CQ on SSB then Novice/Tech would not reply on HF since they only had CW privileges on HF (except for 28 MHz, if I remember correctly).

IIRC, that goes back far enough to when Novices were one year and non-renewable, and had no phone privileges other than in the middle of two meters, before the advent of FM and repeaters.  Techs could get Novice privileges as a "Novice-Tech" licensee, but of course had no HF phone privileges either.

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 09:31:24 AM »

I'm not saying everyone is ill of the hobby,but there are some destructive hams who are quick to judge and simply
do not like newcomers or newcomers radios (aka Baofengs and Wouxuns)(hey,they work,right?)And tend to say
nasty things and even jam with no ID whatsoever.I was listening to a group on a local repeater to me in NYC today
say the same sort of things about newcomers....oddly they barely ever ID and the S and F bomb go off quite often!
Im not saying I'm perfect or even close,but S and F do not need to be every other word.
They comtinued on talking about CB radioisms and how the new people with the cheap chinese radios operate poorly.
Sadly they all sounded like sailors to me(very vulgar) and even shut off the 440MHZ input so I couldnt even comment
if I wanted to.(guess they figured they were going to "hear about it".)
If people are going to call people poor operators they should first Set an Example!!!!!!!
I am not saying they were targeting me,I just get a kick out of the rock throwing on certain frequencies.
Everyone is a brother ham or sister ham,remember that.Say it with me.
We are all HAMS!
When theres an Emergency or you need help,remember the little guy.Dont be so quick to judge.
HF VHF and UHF all have the same issues,lets not make new ones with our close minds.
Peace to all my brothers and sisters out there.Lets all play nice.

Bunch of jerks, no? Radio gives jerks a podium. In their minds that gives them status I guess but a jerk is a jerk.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 12:46:24 PM »

Jerks are Jerks.  And I suppose we will always have them. I listened for a while on 75 meters a few nights ago, where a Jerk, "abused" a group that were apparently just having a round table discussion, and he went off on them.  He claimed to be there first and the band changed.  In any case, the group was stupid to keep "feeding the troll", and he got great pleasure in disrupting them.  Full Identification all around, not like some unknown QRM'r.   I saw no sense in arguing with someone over a frequency, nor do I understand the reason to stir up hate and discontent for an extended time just to torment some group.   The whole thing  just stunk.  I went to bed and they were still going at it.
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 09:36:47 AM »

There is a lot of poor operation in the NYC and surrounding area.
One has been severely QRMing for over 10 years on 75 and 40m.
We know who he is and how easy it is for the FCC to locate, but the question now is why has he not been taken down in all this time?
It's so bad he should never even be allowed to own transmitting equipment.
And now we have a collection of CB ops on 7.200 in the last year.
I sure hope the new FCC initiative will clean up the mess over the next few years.
If they don't get tough on these people it will never be cleaned up.
Good luck.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 10:36:15 AM »

Is any of this news?  How many times have we read here and on the main page, about who was offended, hurt, or put off by some "old guy" or "curmudgeon no-code hater"?  

Who cares?  Find another band, mode, or special interest where better people reside.  There are PLENTY of good people there.

Sheesh, this hurt feelings world today is really getting old.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 11:03:07 AM »

Just ignore them...  Been a ham for the last 40+ years, and there will always be fools...  Don't retreat to your safe space, just ignore them. 

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2017, 01:01:53 PM »

Yessir, Dave.  Couldn't agree more.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2017, 01:09:56 PM »

I had a grouchy bastard op complaining about the "kiddies getting out of school" when I got on the air in the afternoons in 1958. That might have been my first clue that there were some jerk people with microphones. Since then I've seen a club newsletter with an anti-war rant for the message from a club president, been told that I was lying about my novice callsign, heard some Canadian super-jerk on 20 meters ranting every day about the war in Iraq. been jammed by Mexican taxi cab dispatchers using ten meters, been jammed by CB'er splatter right when rare dx answered my call, dealt with a CB'er Radio Shack store owner that hated Hams, heard kw stations auto-repeating their callsign on top of DX that was listening elsewhere, dealt with people that thought RF from my handhelds was making their hair fall out [one stopped sleeping near the wi-fi router and the problem went away] been told that my antenna could not possibly work when I was talking to people all over the world with 10 watts on 10 Meter FM no less, had an xxyl that would gather up my projects and box them nowhere in particular [I had to hunt like crazy to find them] when she was cleaning, dealt with so much introvert self-assessed-superiority that it makes my stomach churn to even think about it... Put up with a department manager that I had to do business with at work that insulted me every day for years in the vanpool because he was a CB'er that hated hams [and my boss]... Just thinking about all the s%^t makes my heart feel weak and perhaps like I'm aging faster because of it.... but outside of that it's been a great hobby Smiley

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2017, 05:21:00 AM »

...but outside of that it's been a great hobby Smiley

Ha, that was great!
W0DLM

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2017, 10:50:24 AM »

Okay, a little off-topic, but the comment about all of the S and F-bombs in the NYC area reminded me of a story...

Years ago I worked for a company that did software installations. We sent one of the guys to NYC to do an installation for the subway authority. His response when he came back was, "Man! I don't think those NYC guys would be able to put together a sentence if they weren't allowed to use the F-word. I swear, in grade school, when they're doing the alphabet, they must teach them, F-ing A, F-ing B, F-ing C..."
W1ITT

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2017, 06:06:39 PM »

As others have described, this attitude against newcomers has been around for a while in some circles.  Back in the 60s and 70s, it was difficult to operate on 75 meter phone in the evenings unless you belonged to one of the groups that perched nightly on "their" frequency.  And the band was wall to wall, so it was difficult to tuck in between them.  The guys in the groups were generally friends of long standing and didn't seem to think that they wanted any new friends.
The classic Old Buzzard of that era, at least on the East Coast, was Myron, W2OY of "no kids, no lids, no space cadets" fame.

http://hamgallery.com/Tribute/W2OY/

The link above includes some audio clips.  He certainly was a character, though not necessarily one to be emulated.  The point is that one should not take things too personally on the air.  On the repeaters, some of the regulars will only talk to their old buddies, and that's just the way it is.  And on some frequencies on 75 meters it's still the same.  One of the better strategies is to work to get the Extra class license as it allows more frequencies and more chances to find civilized people.  In too many places, the VHF repeater scene has turned into a ghetto backwater.  Remember, it's them, not you who has the problem.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: