The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "Good Ol Boy Network" on ham radio  (Read 13121 times)
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2017, 02:31:38 PM »

There was more to his screed:  "No lids, no kids, no space cadets... No novices, no technicians, I want first class operators only".  CQ CQ CQ.

IIRC, back in his day, "space cadets" were hams operating SSB.  SSB was a new mode, and an AM detector would produce severe distortion on an SSB signal.  HF bands full of AMers must have sounded like a CB channel, with many heterodyne whistles from AM carriers duking it out in a pileup. With SSB, none of that, and you can put your legal power limit all in the part of the signal that carries information, unlike AM where the carrier eats most of it.  

Guess the old coot didn't want to buy an SSB rig...   Cheesy
KD8DVR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 05:02:14 PM »

I've noticed a lot of people who are coming into the hobby and really having poor operating practices.  They also do not handle being educated on proper practices well.  As a result, I've narrowed the number of persons I will talk to quite a bit.  If you are a quality operator, I'll be more than welcome to talk to you.  If you are not, you'll be ignored.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 09:57:42 AM »

I am with WB2WIK, I have never heard these things happen on the air.  Guess I hang around on the wrong bands or something.
A long time ago, at a QTH far, far away... OK, Boalsburg PA...

A friend of mine and I like chatting on simplex every couple of evenings, but at the time, trying to get a word in edgewise on the local repeaters could be tough.  And even when they were quiet, they were being listened to.  (It was a favorite pastime to hear a ham exclaim "It's Showtime!" when someone brought up the repeater autopatch... I told you this was a long time ago).  So, since we both had crystal controlled rigs at the time (remember the Regency HR-2B?), we ordered crystals for an obscure simplex frequency off the beaten track (around 145.5 MHz)

We get our crystals, and when the right time comes, we connect on the repeater, and then say we're going to simplex.  Without announcing a frequency.

And after about 15 minutes, the owner of the local 2 way commercial radio shop pops up on our frequency and starts in on a long laundry list of alleged transgressions we had been doing for the last 10.  (No, he wasn't an OO, but he sure acted like one). And then someone else chimed in with the ones the first ham had overlooked.  Seems that when we went to simplex, the club yentas decided to go looking for us, since we (then) 20 year olds OBVIOUSLY couldn't be trusted to know what we were doing.

A few nights later, on our "usual" night, we went right to simplex without bothering with the repeater.  As you may have guessed, the noodniks were already there, waiting for us.  We actually never bothered to transmit, when one of the nebbishes announced that everyone should be quiet, as "those damn kids" were due any moment, and they wanted to surprise us.

We got a bit of revenge.  A few nights later, the shop owner called me on the repeater (after I was done talking with someone else) and tried to rub it in a little, casually mentioning the ambush that never happened.  I told him that my buddy and I just went to our OTHER simplex frequency.  Of course, there wasn't one, but those clowns spent a few evenings trying to find us, and failing, since we weren't there!

And... about the same time, these guys (who ran the "town" club) couldn't figure out why they couldn't get any of us "youngsters" who'd been in the university's club to join.  When stunts like this and other bits of harassment were pointed out to them, we were told we were thin-skinned and didn't appreciate a little light hazing, and that it was all in fun.  (I was already a member of both clubs, but if I wasn't, I wouldn't have joined the town club either... and later let my membership lapse)

My point is, the complaint of the OP is nothing new.  The details and the form change, but the core complaint is the same.  Fortunately for most of us, there are alternatives that let us stay away from the schmucks. 
N8CMQ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2017, 06:55:43 AM »

Crap happens every where and every time with some 'hams'.
The worse case is when you speak up and feed into their rants.
I find it is better to ignore them and move on, and if the ranter follows, pull the plug.
While we have every right to enjoy our hobby, sometimes we need to turn it off when trouble makers are out to wreck havoc on people.
Why they do what they do is probably some form of mental problem, but that is the cross they bear.

I have seen what you have seen and experienced some of it over the years too.
I have also learned the hard way that some of these old farts are just hot air from tormented minds.
And there are others that will try to get physical, so the best thing to do is to keep your distance from them.

As to the Good Ol Boys, the real core of hams are accepting of everyone,

N8CMQ   Jeff Retired...
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2017, 09:07:48 AM »

Karma is a nasty thing.

I observed the same at the radio controlled flying field.

Some old codgers didn't like A.R.F. models. A.R.F. is short for almost-ready-to-fly.
A ninety percent pre-assembled model.

But I speak Karma...guess who had the most crashes...yes them old codgers.

I built kits, not A.R.F. My 1/4 scale cub-a-dub-dub spiraled down into the pecan field.

But I rebuilt and back in the air he went. Me and the A.R.F. folks laughed at them there
old codgers.

Press on and keep talking. The airwaves belong to everyone.

Kraus
K1HMS

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2017, 05:20:22 AM »

I'm a bit envious, he has traffic on his repeater. We are not far from Boston with several nice repeaters with all of the features, and they are quiet 99% of the time.

I'm new to CW on 40m. Recently I was called an idiot and told to stay off the air until I had more exprience.  Huh Now how does that work?

WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2017, 08:22:57 AM »

K1HMS - ignore that ham who called you an idiot.  Keep getting on air.  Look around 7050 or so, lots of friendly hams sending CW with straight keys and what-not.  Heck, email me off-board if you want a QSO to practice CW in the evenings.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: