The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stopping Windows 10 from updating?  (Read 16925 times)
KG9H

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2017, 05:25:46 PM »

So I finally upgraded(??) to Windows 10 from an older XP.  I have been using Skype and HRD (the paid for version) and periodically when I am out of town.. Windows 10 decides to update itself.  I thought I turned that off but between Windows 10 and Skype... almost every time I need to access the system through TeamViewer.. I cannot access due to Windows 10 updates.
How do I turn it off completely?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 06:34:39 PM »

So I finally upgraded(??) to Windows 10 from an older XP.  I have been using Skype and HRD (the paid for version) and periodically when I am out of town.. Windows 10 decides to update itself.  I thought I turned that off but between Windows 10 and Skype... almost every time I need to access the system through TeamViewer.. I cannot access due to Windows 10 updates.
How do I turn it off completely?

You cannot easily do it and actually it is pretty foolish to do too is today's threat world if you have a constant connection to Internet. You can control the time of day it installs updates and have it happen during off hours. If this is important to you you could downgrade to 8.1 which is still a fully supported OS (and 10 is tweaked 8x) but you have more and easier control over this.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KG9H

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 03:48:00 AM »

Thanks, I will look into this.  It is a Windows 10 box and sold that way. No other programs are on it. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 04:43:29 AM »

Thanks, I will look into this.  It is a Windows 10 box and sold that way. No other programs are on it. 

When Win 10 is first installed/setup it used to offer the option and telling it you had a metered connection at time of install and then it would not automatically download and install updates. I actually tried this out a year ago on one PC I upgraded because I was curious, not because I wanted it. I disabled it a few weeks later because it also seemed to interfere a bit with internet access for a few other things and it made installing updates more than a simple click. I am not sure if it is still supported in latest builds.  I just spent some time digging through setting and you can set time it will reboot and install updates but found no way to down grade to a metered connection. You could try removing your current connection, rebooting and then installing a new Internet connection and tell WIN 10 that it is a metered connection when setting up connection.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 12:26:58 PM »

...almost every time I need to access the system through TeamViewer.. I cannot access due to Windows 10 updates...

is it YOUR computer that is being updated, or, is your computer acting as a "server" and updating other computers?  Embarrassed Angry Angry

go: Windows update
advanced options
choose how updates are delivered
turn OFF the selection that enables your PC to get and SEND updates to other PC's on the internet.

to make your connection a "metered' connection, go:

network and internet

then select your connection, then
Manage known networks,  
then , again select your network

Properties
set as metered connection... ON

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:35:45 PM by ND6M » Logged
KG9H

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 05:51:32 AM »

Whoa, lots of things to review for an Apple guy.
No it is a simple computer, Windows 10 (fresh) with Teamviewer, Skype and a licencesed version of HRD.
Pretty much that is all it does.  Oh and yeah.. it seems to update when I am out of town.
Frank
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 09:19:46 AM »

You can use the Group Policies to meter your update speed and times.

Click start and type "Group".  The first option should be the Local Group Policy Editor.

Go under Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)

The ones you're going to want to edit are the following...

1.  Limit the maximum network bandwidth for BITS background transfers
2.  Set up a maintenance schedule to limit the maximum network bandwidth...
3.  Set up a work schedule to limit the maximum network bandwidth...

Set each one to "Enabled".

In #1, change the times to a period when you're not going to be using the computer but leaving it turned on.  I choked mine down to 100k.

In #2, change the times to a period when you're not going to be using the computer but leaving it turned on.  I choked the "high priority" down to 100k, "normal priority" to 50k, and "low priority" to 20k.

In #3, change the times to a period when you will DEFINITELY be using the computer.  I choked the levels to half of that in #2 that way it wouldn't trash my connection while I am using the computer.

You don't need to worry about the Peercaching settings unless you have multiple computers on the same subnet (your home LAN).

Hope this helps.  I had to set this up at work because updates rolled out during work hours were trashing our network connection.  5 computers updating at max speed ground our old DSL connection to a crawl.
W1RKW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 01:58:03 PM »

If you want, you can do what I do. I turn off Windows Update in Services area of Administrative Tools and when it's time to do updates I turn it back on. I do this once a month to grab updates then turn it off or back to Disabled after the updates are installed. You'll need to go into Control Panel and open Administrative Tools, Services, Windows Update Properties and go from there. Also, I setup a scheduled auto reminder in the Calendar.
KG9H

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 07:41:54 AM »

Thanks all,
Finally had time to seek out my computer.  YES it apparently was updating everyone!
Turned that OFF!
Thanks, de KG9H
K3FHP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 03:21:24 PM »

Have you considered Linux for ham based operations? 
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 12:11:14 PM »

October 02, 2017, 07:53:41 PM
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 07:05:58 AM »

W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 08:23:44 AM »

"... and periodically when I am out of town.. Windows 10 decides to update itself...almost every time I need to access the system through TeamViewer.. I cannot access due to Windows 10 updates.

I don't have a clue why you would want to suppress Windows updates.  Doesn't your software continue to run after the updates?  It should.  I have never known a Windows update to break an app.  Huh

Or is it the automatic reboot, and then your software isn't running?  If that is the case, then you should just enable the programs that you want to run in the START folder.  Then when the computer reboots, your programs are automagically restarted.
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 10:57:54 AM »

I don't have a clue why you would want to suppress Windows updates.  Doesn't your software continue to run after the updates?  It should.  I have never known a Windows update to break an app.  Huh

I had a Windows 10 update break everything that required network connectivity.
It deleted my Ethernet and Wi-Fi drivers.
Since my printer is a shared network printer, I couldn't even print.
All due to a Windows 10 automatic update. Thanks, Microsoft!

Thank God I had the presence of mind to create a full system image backup with a recovery disk
just before installing Windows 10 the first time.
Because I was able to go back to Windows 7.
When it was running I actually liked Windows 10. I don't have time to deal with that kind of mischief.

Someday, I'll have to go to Windows 10. That day is not today. Or any day in the relatively near future.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: