The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LDG customer support / need advise  (Read 4592 times)
N9EU

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2017, 08:13:02 AM »

Hi,

I need some piece of advise, how to deal with an issue with my YT-1200 auto-tuner and LDG's customer support.

I purchased the auto-tuner and connected to my FTdx3000 transceiver as described in the manual provided with the purchase (making sure I absolutely follow all instructions, and of course double checking it several times). When tuning is initiated, it works sometimes, but most of the time, it powers down the transceiver, and then the transceiver restarts leaving the band in AM mode.

I contacted LDG's customer support early in December by email, as it seems the only way to contact them. I received no reply, however I was patient with them, since it was Christmas season, so I wrote another email sometime in mid January. This is Feb 8, and there is still no reply.

Thanks and 73,
Steve,
N9EU
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:49:40 AM »

Well should you get them too answer the phone you may get a very unkind & rude person on the other end.They really hate being bothered & customer service is far from their specialty.I have been down that road with them & them being rude was an understatement so be ready.If you let the phone ring enough they will eventually answer it but know ahead of time you are bothering them & they don't have time for talking on the phone.  Shocked

Clayton
W4KVW
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 01:35:18 PM »

Hi,

I need some piece of advise, how to deal with an issue with my YT-1200 auto-tuner and LDG's customer support.

Thanks and 73,
Steve,
N9EU

That's easy.......first you need to accept you made a bad choice in tuners.

next.......

Hit the YT-1200 with a big hammer and then buy a proper (not MFJ) manual tuner - the bigger the better.

finally......

Forget about LDG support, they seemingly don't have any.
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 07:08:36 PM »

LDG's

PRO:  Heavy advertising.

CON:

Mediocre reliability.
Poor customer service.
Unreliable return and repair service.

Given a choice, and based on repeated tuner deaths, return, repair, "repaired" unit DOA - person who finally answers says they found no problem ( I'm an engineer - I opened the case and took a pick of the obviously fried inductor and e-mailed it..) repeat the above steps until it's just not worth it anymore, I neither buy nor recommend any LDG product.

de Ray  ..._  ._
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 07:13:49 AM »

Steve –

You might post your questions to the Yahoo LDG Autotuner group: 

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LDG-auto-tuners/conversations/messages

Members are often helpful.  Also, Dwayne Kincaid (LDG owner) monitors the group and frequently responds to questions and problems.

Howard
K4EQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 04:45:10 AM »

My experience with LDG has been different from what I've read on this thread. Several years ago I built the original Z-11 QRP tuner and it worked flawlessly until I sold it a few months ago. Shortly after I built the Z-11, I purchased a 100-watt tuner from LDG (can't recall the model number) which also worked great. I sold it a couple of years later bought a Z-11 Pro tuner to use with my new IC-706MKIIG. I loved it and then added the Z-11 Pro II when it came out to use with my Elecraft K2. Still works great and have had no problems. I've also had a couple of other items from LDG that worked flawlessly. I'm sorry to hear that others have not been as fortunate as I have been with LDG products and service.

Dale, K4EQ
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 05:29:53 AM »

I have several LDG tuners which work well (AL-100, YT-100, KT-100 & RT-100). 

The only times I have had problems with any of them was when there was a fault in my antenna system (note the use of the word "system").  Loose antenna connections, damaged connector, coax breaking down and shorting under power, physically damaged coax, water intrusion in coax, defective surge suppressor, loose ground connection, etc.

Looking at the thread author's complaint:

When tuning is initiated, it works sometimes, but most of the time, it powers down the transceiver, and then the transceiver restarts leaving the band in AM mode.

A careful examination of the whole antenna "system" may be in order.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 09:39:07 AM »

If the rigs tuner interface doesn't have an on/off function, something strange is happening as it sounds as if the rig is turning off and then back on. Do the rig and the tuner share a power supply? If they do, change the set up so that each has its own power and see what happens. This will keep tuner power draw from tripping any overcurrent setting on the rig power supply.

KF7CG
N9EU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 08:22:07 AM »

Hi,

I received an advise, at a different forum, from Jeff N1CZ, suggesting that my problem seems to be an RF grounding issue, due to the intermittent nature of the problem. I had both the auto-tuner and the transceiver grounded, but not with a sufficiently large diameter wire. I installed a grounding strip (1/4 x 1/4 brass rod) behind the shelf, that holds my ham equipment, and grounded all equipment to this strip with a sufficiently large piece of wire. The rod is then connected to my radiator system, which is grounded at some different location in the house. Unfortunately on the second floor, I have no change of a better grounding. I tried it again, and long behold, it worked every time I tuned a band. The tuner suits the purpose.

What I am not too happy about is, that the YT-1200 is a step back in technology compared to the Z-11Pro II. It does not trigger tuning by RF, one needs to push the button each time a large FRQ change or band switch takes place. Why LDG decided to regress from a better design is a mystery for me.

One other disadvantage I noticed is, that I am not able to load up 160m, whereas my MJF manual tuner tunes it well enough, under 1:2.

I am happy with my other LDG tuners, that I own, even this one is fine. I just had higher expectations, to connect something with an FTdx3000.

What, I am not happy about is, that LDG support never replied to my emails. I checked my junk box, and find no replies there either, so they never even bothered to try. The YT-1200 user's manual also lists an email address, different then the one on the their website, however that bounces.

73, Steve n9eu
WW8X

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 01:16:44 PM »

I sent an email to LDG support and received a polite and informative answer within a couple of hours. However, the message was in my gmail spam folder -- I knew to look there after reading other comments.
W8ICE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 09:31:22 AM »

check your spam folder.

I mistakenly slammed them on the yahoo group only to find out that gmail flagged it as spam.

I ate crow and praised them after I discovered that they had responded within a couple hours of my initial email.

N9EU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 04:46:57 AM »

Nothing in my spam folder. Anyway, it works now, and I am happy Smiley
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 07:51:38 AM »

I would hate to think that their customer service has changed.
When I first got into radio, I bought a FT-897D along with the LDG meter and AT-897 tuner.
I fumble fingered and lost a couple of the mounting screws due to neuropathy.
I contacted customer service, and they quickly sent me replacements at no charge.
WW8X

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 11:49:25 AM »

An update on my experience with LDG customer service:
I returned my LDG AT 1000 ProII and meter for repair. I was the 2nd owner and covered by the terms of the warranty, which is 2-years and transferable to new owners. LDG responded by email of receipt of the package and advised they were running about 3 weeks for repairs. About 3 weeks later, as promised, they sent me a brand-new unit and gave me a full 2-year warranty with it. My experience with LDG customer service could not have gone smoother. I'm totally satisfied.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: