The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternative to Skype  (Read 3883 times)
K0IZ

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2017, 07:01:13 AM »

I have been remoting for six years and been using Skype.  Works ok.  But I have to have a PC at the radio end to run skype.  Windows being windows, there can be problems.  Win10 updates, security program updates, rebooting, etc.  Maybe someone can direct me to a somewhat different way:

I would like to use software on a PC at the operator end, with headset.  Basically same as Skype.  Audio would be directed via a virtual com port to my serial server at the radio end.  Serial server has a little box that converts to audio and connected to radio (K3).  IE, at radio end, no PC.  As alternative to serial server, something plugged into my ethernet.  Basically like a VoIP setup but without using phone numbers.

Any ideas?
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 04:47:04 PM »

The RCForb server and client software works fine. Skype is not needed

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 06:04:21 PM »

RCForb server still requires a PC.  I'm trying to eliminate need for a PC at the radio.  Sorta like the RemoteRig unit, which has a built in codec.  The perfect solution would be a small box at operator, connects to ethernet.  Jacks for headset audio in/out.  Similar box at radio, also connects to ethernet.  Jacks to radio for audio in/out.
WD4HXG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 07:05:01 PM »

Have you looked at the following product:

1258MKIIS

It is hardware with a head end box and remote box.
While hardware can seize up it is fairly easy to use
a remote switch to power cycle either via a telco
twisted pair circuit or a remote rf switch based off
of the pager infrastructure. No pesky OS to get its
panties in a wad because some file was not closed
properly.

The two boxes combined are nominally around $600.00
and makes for a nice remote setup for HF.

Chuck WD4HXG
WB8LZR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 05:52:47 AM »

Any kind of direct point-to-point internet connection should be OK, perhaps including the black box approach described in the previous post.  There's no magic at all associated with Skype, in that it does nothing at all to increase your internet connection's upload speed (the most usual bottleneck).  If your comm boxes (whether they're PCs or embedded system black boxes) have good enough codec and latency dampening software included, you're good to go.  Skype is great for when you need to tie into the phone system.  That's the only reason I use Skype here.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 05:23:06 PM »

In my current setup, I use a PC (or laptop) at operator.  Needed for radio control and station control.  Also use for Skype.  At radio end only need the PC for Skype.  So my ideal solution involves PC/laptop with skype or other audio software at operator, and a black box at radio end, plugged into ethernet, with audio in/outs to connect to my K3.  Audio (skype, etc) goes out to my remote IP address, comes into the black box, then to radio.  I am aware of the RemoteRig units but don't want an additional box at the operator.  Also my station setup is not compatible with the RemoteRigs.  I have been searching for a black box.
N6DMR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 06:46:33 PM »

I remote all the time with my Flex Radio Signature Series.  This radio can connect directly to an internet switch or LAN network and is controlled via IP protocol. A software VPN gets you WAN access and you can access and operate the radio using a PC, Laptop, iPad or iPhone.  The radio can be setup to remote on/off?reboot using an inexpensive IP switch relay.

AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 01:41:41 PM »

The Ten Tec Omni 7 allows for remote control without a computer at the rig end.  You can just plug in the LAN to the radio.

73 John AF5CC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: