The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-7900R Signal Delay  (Read 4015 times)
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2017, 05:50:50 PM »

The subject may be a little deceptive, my apologies.

My FT-7900R seems to take 10 seconds to release back to normal standby receive mode after someone
has keyed the local repeater when I am tuned to that frequency.

When it does finally release, I can tell I have missed a call letter or two or the first word or so of the
conversation.

The display shows a very strong signal bar each and and every time. This repeater is about 17 miles
away. I XMIT at 20w. I have not been told I am over powering the signal.

Is this a problem with my radio?
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 04:48:07 AM »

Might be a problem, or just a setting.  Something like a priority scan feature could cause a receiver to "go away" for a bit.

Does it do this on all frequencies or just this one?  Do you have another radio you can test with it?

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

NZ4ZN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 05:20:25 AM »

Sounds like your 'scan resume' is set to "time" in menu setting #37.

Enter your menu, set #37 to "Busy" and as soon as traffic stops and it is no longer 'busy', it should start scanning again right away.
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 05:24:23 AM »

Enter your menu, set #37 to "Busy" and as soon as traffic stops and it is no longer 'busy', it should start scanning again right away.
I am not scanning. I have this issue when I directly tuned to the repeater.
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 05:25:03 AM »

Might be a problem, or just a setting.  Something like a priority scan feature could cause a receiver to "go away" for a bit.

Does it do this on all frequencies or just this one?  Do you have another radio you can test with it?

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
I will try with my HT and see what results I get.
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 05:26:29 AM »

I have only programmed the frequencies and have not touched and other settings so if it comes from the factory with that setting, then
that is what it is right now.

I will check when I get home this evening.
NZ4ZN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 05:56:50 AM »

I am not scanning. I have this issue when I directly tuned to the repeater.
My Yaesu mobile is out in the truck so I cannot verify my memory at the moment, but I believe the 'scan resume' also affects returning to squelched mode, because when the radio returns to squelched mode, it will also resume scanning if that operation had been selected. This means that if a signal breaks squelch, the receiver will either return to squelched mode when it is no longer 'busy' OR when the 'time' runs out, depending on the setting of #37 in your radio. On my FT-8900, the factory default was set to 'time'.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 06:00:06 AM by NZ4ZN » Logged
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 03:58:24 AM »

Double checked setting and it was "BUSY"

Mixed bag results when checking other frequencies in simplex and the other local repeater I can hit with my HT.

It is about 50/50 that the FT-7900R thinks there is still an active incoming signal. Both repeaters send out the
standard auto-ident and I was getting the same 50/50 results.

Do I need to make sure my HT sends the End of Transmission / Roger beep?

I am going to monitor a few other repeaters that are within reach and see what results I get with them on the
auto-ident signal and any traffic that may be there.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 10:03:26 AM »

I could be wrong but I don't think hams use the roger beep for anything at all

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 11:07:56 AM »

I am just trying to find a solution to my problem. When I am on the weekly net, several operators
seem to have the Roger Beep active when they are done transmitting. When my FT-7900R gets them,
it does seem to make the radio go back to a normal standby mode a lot faster and I do not miss the
next Op Call Sign during check-in.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 11:19:44 AM »

I am just trying to find a solution to my problem. When I am on the weekly net, several operators
seem to have the Roger Beep active when they are done transmitting. When my FT-7900R gets them,
it does seem to make the radio go back to a normal standby mode a lot faster and I do not miss the
next Op Call Sign during check-in.

I've read the OP a couple times, and don't understand what you're trying to decribe.

Repeater hang time? Are you sitting on a frequency or scanning?

A better (concise) description would be helpful. Not sure why you're concerned with 'standby mode' if you're listening to an active net .

Edit to add: You might want to read up on tone-squelch, RF/carrier squelch, encode/decode, etc.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 11:26:16 AM by SOFAR » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: