The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do all radios need an external power supply  (Read 8697 times)
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 05:27:30 AM »

You want a lot of watts? Expect to carry a lot of weight. Can't get something from nothing.

Trying to condense it all down to one small package is like expecting to take a short cut through
New York city..nolo existo.

73 and wear that seat belt.

Kraus

KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 09:39:39 PM »

I had a 25 amp Samlex PS used with my FTDX3000 but on CW that PS did have some issues, I replaced it with there 35 amp PS and haven't had anything pop up yet, radio put out 100W on CW without issue. Always good to have a safety margin.
VE3CWJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 07:29:19 AM »

Some of the older 100 watt radios had an internal PS as an option, so if you find one on the used market, it may or may not have an internal PS.  These include the Icom 740, 745, 751, and 751A, and the Yaesu FT990 and FT650.  You could get a Yaesu FT1000MP without an internal ps, but those are pretty rare.  Every FT1000MP I have seen has the internal PS installed.

Other 100 watt solid state rigs that came with an internal PS include:

Icom 761 and 765
Yaesu FT1000MP MK5 field, FT980, FT767, FT One, FT2000
Kenwood TS930, TS 940

Greater than 100 watt rigs with internal power supplies include:

Icom 775, 781, 7800, 7700, 7850, 7851
Yaesu FT1000D, FTDX5000, FTDX9000D, FTDX9000Contest
Kenwood TS950S, TS950SDX, TS990

Missing one, my IC-736 100W rig has internal PSU, because it runs 28V finals.
W2WDX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 02:01:01 PM »

The exception to this is the Kenwood TS-480HX which can run 200 watts.  For this, you will need 2 power supplies or one that can do 40-45 amps

This is not correct. Many take the worst case scenario rating that are in theory at 13.8 plus 15% or when powered with 15.9 volts. At 13.8 is is much less. Also one power jack feed a final section and raido's logic/receiver circuit anf the other strictly that second set of finals so it is not power draw x 2. I do not own a HX but I own a 480 SAT and it draws about 18.5 amps on 13.8 volts at 100 watts out. When you consider radios logic and its regulator takes about 2.5 amps to power that means second feed will need about 15.5 amps so 18.5 + 16 is approx 34.5 amps which means a 35 amp supply will  power it. Also remember that a 35 amp supply does not stop at 35 amps but typically is start to fold back at 10 to 15% or more over that. Many merely quote specs with little understanding of what they mean or first hand experience as they are not nominal real world ratings but worst case at a over voltage 15.9 volts. If they put current draw at 13.8 volts in spec someone would complain if it was higher when supply voltage was higher.  

BTW, the 480HX is the only rig I am aware of they is rated for more than 100 watts out and still using 13.8 volts. That being said, the ability to run on a external supply is not as big a asset as some think because it limits power out and type of output devices used. With a internal power supply, higher supply voltages are possible and there are more options for output devices. Also, not having a built in power supply also lower cost of designing and building rig.

It's you that doesn't get it. DC power is not about connecting a power supply. It's about having the capacity for situations like battery and solar charging during an emergency. Like when NYC ran into Hurricane Sandy. We had no AC power for weeks. I ran my entire station off car batteries and solar panels doing the charging. Not to concerned about transmit current issues using banks of car batteries and solar charging. When I did need more current, I got more batteries from my cars and from destroyed cars. If I needed 200amps, I could have it. (I didn't, but I could; and that's the point). This included amplifiers. No big inverter needed either.

I was able to get out messages worldwide to friends and family of tenants in my building; many in the Caribbean and South America. I live in New York, so people here are from everywhere, literally. There were no phones (since phones are all digital now here in NYC), no cel service, nothing. I had communications worldwide before, during and after the storm. That's why DC power inputs exists on most Amateur gear now. The whole point of the Amateur Radio Service to provide emergency communication during an emergency. Not just to "play radio".

THAT'S the reason why you don't want AC only radios. AC-only radios are useless when you really need a radio in a pinch; like a hurricane, flood, earthquake, tsunami, tornado, etc. Unless of course you are hoping big corporations are willing to get you power when you need it in those situations. Ha! ... Not likely.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 02:22:44 PM by W2WDX » Logged

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 05:19:57 PM »

WDX,

A smart guy would know where inside the a.c. changes to d.c., affix a cable and have
a radio a.c. or d.c.

Kraus
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: