The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham radio boxes  (Read 2681 times)
W3BJ

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2017, 01:31:29 PM »

Has anyone started back making ham radio shipping boxes? I know a few years ago Ham Radio Boxes with Dave went out of business. Wondering if anyone was trying to do this service
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 02:19:10 PM »

Can't be much business in this? Maybe that's why the other guy went out of business?
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 02:58:20 PM »

Can't be much business in this? Maybe that's why the other guy went out of business?

Wonder what the shipping runs, padded boxes can't be folded flat.

He did have good reviews.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/9938
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 03:40:00 PM »

He went out of business because he retired from everything and I think moved to Florida. He had more work than he could do.
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 03:19:25 AM »

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how is a "ham radio shipping box" any different than any other kind of shipping box with appropriate packaging materials ?
N4MU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 04:36:57 AM »

Not a dumb question at all. They were inpregnated with a damp musty odor and/or aged in cigarette smoke for several weeks before shipping to buyer.  Cheesy
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 05:31:47 AM »

Hi,

I guess the business just folded.....

K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 12:44:23 PM »

Not a dumb question at all. They were inpregnated with a damp musty odor and/or aged in cigarette smoke for several weeks before shipping to buyer.  Cheesy

LMFAO
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 12:49:54 PM »

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how is a "ham radio shipping box" any different than any other kind of shipping box with appropriate packaging materials ?

They were custom made to fit a specific radio using high density foam, triple wall boxes, and double boxed.
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 04:53:10 PM »

Try your local "B to B" yellow pages / classified directory.

I found a commercial & industrial quality packing and crating service.  My "guy" can make a custom box for any piece of gear.
All he needs is the dimensions, including projections. photos, and an outline if available.

Find the right firm and you could get anything up to a custom foam-in-place wooden crate.

CAUTION:  Since you're getting industrial grade packing materials, IT WON'T BE CHEAP.  I cost me about $30 for a double-walled foam-in-place carton for an Icom IC R-7000.  The carton survived a round-trip on FedEx and is ready to go again.

Ask around.  You may find something in your area. 

W3BJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 05:19:20 PM »

It does make it nice for shipping radios when older ones the boxes have been wore out. Ham radio boxes had nice reviews.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 05:01:44 AM »

Ha! That's excellent.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: