The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The benefits of having a 'grab and go' 2m SSB station  (Read 1681 times)
VK3YE

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2017, 01:05:37 PM »

When conditions are good you want to be able to bolt out the door to your nearest hill or beach to work the DX. 

Here's some 2m SSB contacts with an FT-817 and 4 element yagi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC3F4wv04RE

Peter VK3YE

TOP-SELLING RADIO BOOKS: 'Minimum QRP', 'Hand-carried QRP antennas' & 'Getting back into Amateur Radio'. 
Paperback and ebook editions. See http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/vk3yebooks.htm or search titles in Amazon.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 03:05:01 PM »

When conditions are good you want to be able to bolt out the door to your nearest hill or beach to work the DX. 

Here's some 2m SSB contacts with an FT-817 and 4 element yagi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC3F4wv04RE
   Great video!  LOVE going portable with the 817 and an ELK 2m/440 log periodic!  Can make some great long distance contacts on SSB (and FM) when conditions are good!!   Wink
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 06:33:23 PM »

I've been doing this for nearly 50 years (in the old days, it was AM and CW, not so much SSB).

I'm lucky to have both a beach and a hilltop at 2830' a.s.l. very close by, it's easy to drive to either one and be there within 20 mins.   A bit farther away (60 mins) is an 8012' hilltop.

Sure helps to be ready!
NC5P

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 08:36:39 AM »

After several years of only FM and Digital Voice, I returned to 2m SSB last night on the North Texas SWOT net.  The net control was 45 miles away but copied me with my 5 watts and ELK beam INSIDE my apartment.  I know that's not near my record but indoors not bad at all.  There's a lot more activity here than in the Arizona Valley on that mode.  It's more akin to Colorado where I was a few years back.  Now I just need a new battery so I can take this outside and talk a lot further.  There's a hill just a block up from me so with a battery I can go in any direction.  I'll have to see if any of these people operate on 432 as well.  I have LOTS of time now that my job ended but have to watch my spending until I'm working again. 
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 04:27:44 PM »

After several years of only FM and Digital Voice, I returned to 2m SSB last night on the North Texas SWOT net.  The net control was 45 miles away but copied me with my 5 watts and ELK beam INSIDE my apartment.  I know that's not near my record but indoors not bad at all.  There's a lot more activity here than in the Arizona Valley on that mode.  It's more akin to Colorado where I was a few years back.  Now I just need a new battery so I can take this outside and talk a lot further.  There's a hill just a block up from me so with a battery I can go in any direction.  I'll have to see if any of these people operate on 432 as well.  I have LOTS of time now that my job ended but have to watch my spending until I'm working again. 
  I travel often on business, and take the ELK 2m/440 portable beam with me wherever I go.  I have had very good luck making contacts on FM and SSB using that antenna inside hotel rooms, just mounted on a PVC pole and strapped to a chair with bungee cords!  2 meter SSB activity seems to have picked up quite a bit over the last year!   Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: