The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Trackers?  (Read 10941 times)
AC8ND

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 06:28:46 AM »

I will throw another one out. I about two weeks I am preparing to begin riding a bicycle / experimental-vehicle from Kansas to Utah. Several people have asked me to keep them appraised of my trip.

As it happens, I was not able to figure out a way to make that goal work with APRS; as such, I will use Ride With GPS. That being said, it is an example of where tracking would be interesting.

I do have a 2M rig with me; but I have never heard any traffic on it. I ker-chunked the repeater to make sure it was transmitting and talked to my hand held on another test; so I know it's working.

Generally, in remote areas I just leave it on 146.520 and give a shout out when I approach a town.

If it worked, I could see APRS adding a lot to a trip like the one I am making. Considering that Amateur radio (in my life time) follows commercial by about 20 years, I expect to see APRS picking up and being reliable method of sending messages, on trips like the one I am planning, in about ten years.

In this trip I just couldn't justify the cost, weight, and power draw, of APRS.

I can see that you could be in a outback area that has no APRS coverage.
Most areas I have traveled I have been in connection with the APRS network.
I have sent APRS texts from Michigan to Arizona.
I have done lots of local APRS texts.
I have sent emails from the APRS network.
APRS is not perfect but seems to work fairly well.

I did have an APRS tracker on my car and the wife used it to drive from Michigan to Georgia to visit her sister.  I called her sister when the wife turned up her driveway. 
AJ4DW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 07:20:57 AM »

If you have need of sending out your position and you have a smartphone you can use an app like APRS TX which will send your position to the APRS system. $0.99 in the Apple App Store.
KG5TLF

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2017, 08:26:22 PM »

I got my technicians license because I needed to track high powered rockets. I use a TeleGPS tracking board in my rockets. It send out APRS packets every few seconds on a 70cm frequency (that I set), and it gives me GPS coordinates, height, speed...  I use a Kenwood D72A (built in TNC) to receive the packets and it tells me what direction my rocket is from my location. When you start to fly rockets higher than 7,000 ft, they tend to go out of sight. Tracking becomes important.

I never plan to actually talk to anyone over a HAM radio. I needed the license in order to be able to use the transmitters that use HAM frequencies.
AF7JA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 01:59:43 PM »

If you have need of sending out your position and you have a smartphone you can use an app like APRS TX which will send your position to the APRS system. $0.99 in the Apple App Store.

I used the "live Logging" feature in Ride with GPS. It did what I wanted. . .

The ride went well too.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: