The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best $200 radios?  (Read 6383 times)
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 05:16:23 AM »

I started with a UV-5R Baofeng but got a FT-60 used for $75, and it is more than twice the radio the Baofeng. Still, the UV-5R works reliably and is a good backup or duplex transmitter. But what I wanted to say is that the new Yaesu FT70R dual band will get you on C4FM digital, Fusion etc.  for $200.

Steve
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 06:44:16 PM »

How about a new HT that cost $199, it has over 1,000 memories, wide band receive 108 - 579.995 MHz, has USB port, has very sophisticated features like Digital Group Identification, Digital Group Monitor, Digital Personal Identification and it's not just another FM HT but it also has
Fusion C4FM as well as regular FM. The only thing is you'll have to wait till sometime next month. But I think it will be worth the wait.

https://www.gigaparts.com/yaesu-ft-70dr.html

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 09:32:33 AM »

USED ICOM T90A.Three bands & 5 wtts output on all of them.Great HT & simple too operate & extras don't cost a fortune if you buy the aftermarket brands that work just fine.

Clayton
W4KVW
KD2FQD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 06:18:20 AM »

I'm going to also recommend the Yaesu FT-60.  Read the reviews on here and you'll see why.  I don't think you could go wrong with that as a purchase and even with 4 other HTs, it's the one I grab first when I need something non-digital.  I think they've been selling it for over 10 years so that speaks to how well they designed it.  The FT-70DR may be a worthy successor (have one on order so I'll find out soon) but if you want to make the purchase today, I'd say go with the FT-60. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 06:48:35 AM »

Right but your experience still doesn't change the number of people who've had problems with those. Wink

I suspect it is operator error. They do not program like a Kenwood or a Yeasu or Icom and because of that many have "problems". I own 3 Chinese HT's and would buy more. The time of the several hundred dollar HT is dying. I could loose all three of mine and replace them and still be money ahead of the cost of a single name brand one.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 10:44:26 AM »

Right but your experience still doesn't change the number of people who've had problems with those. Wink

I suspect it is operator error. They do not program like a Kenwood or a Yeasu or Icom and because of that many have "problems". I own 3 Chinese HT's and would buy more. The time of the several hundred dollar HT is dying. I could loose all three of mine and replace them and still be money ahead of the cost of a single name brand one.

To put it in perspective, programming almost ANY modern HT, whether a name brand or a cheap, Chinese product, is an onerous task.  As was stated above, if you can't sift out programming difficulties out from hardware failures, you don't have a basis to draw a conclusion as to reliability. 
DU7DVE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2017, 03:42:59 PM »

Nope. Not programming errors. Only a few of us do the programming via CHIRP for the noobs in our club.
VE6ND

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 01:48:37 PM »

Hello to all,

I believe you are wrong on those Asian radios. Sure in the beginning they had issues however that for the most part has been resolved. Going mobile with my 7900D proves that it works just as well and even better than Yaesu or Icom, so your point of a lot of people having issues with them is moot. If you look at how operators are classifying Icom these days I would say "Stay clear".
These Asian digital chip radios will supersede anything that will come out in the market in the next few years.

Hang on to what you want but don't look away from these radios, as I said, two months without an issue. I see in the future where these companies will come out with an all band V/U radio with SSB and that would include 1.2Ghz and 2.4 at about $200.

Glenn, VE6ND
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 05:04:27 PM »

Hello to all,

I believe you are wrong on those Asian radios. Sure in the beginning they had issues however that for the most part has been resolved. Going mobile with my 7900D proves that it works just as well and even better than Yaesu or Icom, so your point of a lot of people having issues with them is moot. If you look at how operators are classifying Icom these days I would say "Stay clear".
These Asian digital chip radios will supersede anything that will come out in the market in the next few years.

Hang on to what you want but don't look away from these radios, as I said, two months without an issue. I see in the future where these companies will come out with an all band V/U radio with SSB and that would include 1.2Ghz and 2.4 at about $200.

Glenn, VE6ND

I agree do not sell them short. Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu have a lot of markup to "branding" and infrastructure for them. I doubt the big 3 pays more than 25 to 35% of list price to have them built.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: