The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VHF on a Heathkit SB-104A  (Read 1428 times)
W5JAI

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2017, 02:42:22 PM »

I have just acquired a "like new" Heathkit SB-104A and a P&H 6-150.  The P&H is a transmission converter from 20 meters to 6 meters.  It will take the 20 meter SSB from the 104A and put out 175 watts on 6 meters.  But that is ALL I know about it and would like to find some documentation on the P&H 6-150. 

From reading what I can find, it seems tat the 6-150 can also take an AM input, but that was an obscure comment that I cant find any confirmation on.

Any suggestions on where I can find the specifications on the P&H 6-150 and some operating instructions. ??
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 03:45:26 PM »

Hi. There is a Manual for the P&H 2-150 on the BAMA website. Although it's the 2 Meter version, it should give you a start.....

Great site, BTW...

ron
N4UE
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 10:21:42 AM »

I have just acquired a "like new" Heathkit SB-104A and a P&H 6-150.  The P&H is a transmission converter from 20 meters to 6 meters.  It will take the 20 meter SSB from the 104A and put out 175 watts on 6 meters.  But that is ALL I know about it and would like to find some documentation on the P&H 6-150. 

From reading what I can find, it seems tat the 6-150 can also take an AM input, but that was an obscure comment that I cant find any confirmation on.

Any suggestions on where I can find the specifications on the P&H 6-150 and some operating instructions. ??

It's a linear transverter and as such merely converts a signal (of any mode at all) from one frequency to another.   The 20m input directly drives a 6360 mixer and you cannot just connect the transverter to the SB-104A main output port as that will severely overdrive the P&H and result in damage.    The P&H "drive level" from your HF rig is about 5W.

The PP 5894 PA stage runs about 175W PEP input power, not output power.   Typical output power is about 90W PEP.

The local oscillator signal at 36 MHz is available at the rear panel so it can be used for L.O. injection to a 6m receiving converter.   Doing that, then all you'd need to get on 6m (besides a 6m antenna!) is an external T-R coaxial relay to switch the transmitting converter to the receiving converter on the baseband (14 MHz) side, and do the same on the 6m (50 MHz) signal side to switch the antenna.   A conventional coaxial double-pole, double-throw relay can do this, and be activated by the amplifier keying output jack on the SB-104A.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: