The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP!! Odd IC-7000 and MARS Mod - need layout!  (Read 15750 times)
KD8M

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2017, 02:10:08 PM »

Huh

Hi, all.   I finally got my license and have been approved for MARS, so I am awaiting my MARS license.

Now, I have a problem.  I have a service manual downloaded and lots of downloads on how to make the MARS Mod, ...

BUT . . . My IC-7000 main board diode layout does not look anything like the mods I found.

The main board in the service manual is labeled B6249G (Golf).

The main board in my IC-7000 is labeled B5249O (Oscar).

Note that it has only 2 diodes under the two vertical integrated circuit chip. 

My manual says it should have a stack of 4 on the left and a stack of 1-space-2 on the right, under those chips. 

I really really need a layout for the main board so I can tell what diodes are what.  Since it doesn't match anything I have downloaded, I am afraid to remove a diode on an assumption.  All my diodes are tiny and black, not the larger silver ones in the online mod guides.

W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 02:34:12 PM »

When I look at the mod instructions here:

http://www.qsl.net/icom/ic7000/7000tvmars.html

It looks like the same layout. Off the end of the two IC's in a row, one diode is already removed from your board (probably for another option / regionalization  / NVRAM size) but I would guess removing the indicated MARS diode will still do the trick. Just remove it carefully and note the orientation (it is a diode) in the event you need to re-install it. Do not worry about the color of the diodes.

An updated schematic likely won't tell you much since these are simply inputs to the uP and are not typically labelled as to their functionality.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
KD8M

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 02:38:17 PM »

First, I don't have all those silver diodes.  Mine are small and black.

Second, this is what the service manual addendum shows.  I do not have all those diodes. 

KD8M

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 02:40:24 PM »

Bottom Line - I am afraid to yank a diode when I don't have something that calls it the right one(s).
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 02:43:36 PM »

The color of the diodes does not matter. Does the picture I included match your board?

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
KD8M

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 02:56:07 PM »

With the exception of that extra diode in the left group, left stack.

Okay, I'm feeling a little bit stupid.

If it zoom in to 800%, I can read the danged diode numbers.   Undecided  Sorry.

KD8M

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 03:01:05 PM »

Okay, I'm going to screw up my courage and try it.

Thank you, Glenn W9IQ . . . .   

Jackie
AG7EJ
KD8M

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 07:32:38 PM »

Whew!   Well, with a few shots of courage, jewelers' magnifiers, and a very tiny solder point, I attempted to disconnect one end of the D2170 diode.  Unfortunately, that .5 x 1 millimeter diode was having nothing of it, and the lift of one side made it pop off.  There is no soldering it back.

So far, radio checks have demonstrated I have not totally ruined my IC-7000, and I thank God and Glenn for that!   Shocked

What I have learned so far is that the B6249O(Oscar) is in the addendum that came out May 2009.   I need to get to MARS training and come up on air to be sure everything is working properly.

If you have the IC-7000 service manual, there is a Service Manual Addendum that you need, if you have the main board labeled B6249O.

Thanks again, Glenn, for your patience with me.   Wink

Texas Jac
AG7EJ
The Texan Gal in an Arizona World
LA9XNA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 09:57:34 AM »

Don't trust anything but the official Mars mod / extended range mod from Icom.
For a radio model  like the IC-7000 there might be several "generations" before end of production. The differences might be substantial from generation to generation. This rig where in production for a long time.
An example is the IC-910H this one has had at least 3 different fornt panel PCB over the time of production.
I have a official icom "mars" mod pdf  from Icom just not right here, but have found you the llink for the same online.
http://www.pc5e.nl/downloads/ic7000/Mods/Icom%20-%203668_IC-7000_MARS_CAP_TX_Mod.pdf
KD8M

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 06:43:32 PM »

Hi, all!

Completed the mod, thank you all very much.  Turns out I had the very latest revision "O".

Thanks, all, for your help!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: