The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silly Qustion  (Read 10907 times)
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 01:57:43 AM »

He then informed me (very politely) that the exchange was supposed to be my age :-)

As a contester in digimodes I always have a macro nicely asking what I need. Being rude about it serves 2 things: you scare new future contesters away and you lose this qso.

I do agree that being rude is not the "gentlemanly" thing to do, but in nearly 25 years of being on the air, I have NEVER once had to ask what the contest exchange was or what information was needed. Especially in this day and age, there is no excuse for not looking up the contest rules.
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 03:12:04 AM »

...or specific ARRL section

Your ARRL Section is Tennessee.
Additionally, there are state "QSO Parties" for most states or regions. Yep, Tennessee has one listed on the WA7BNM Contest Calendar (link). In a QSO Party, stations in that state/region are the targets of other stations inside & outside that state/region. Everyone wants to work YOU!

The typical exchange includes the location of the two stations (county or state-county inside the state or region, and state or section for stations outside the state/region). It looks like the next "TNQP" is in early September. If I were W4BOW, I'd make certain to clear my calendar for that!  Grin

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC
ND8M

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 04:20:19 AM »

If you can't pick up what the exchange is by listening, i certainly don't think it's rude to simply ask.  The vast majority of contesters will be happy to tell you what they need.  The first time I turned the radio on during Field Day I had no idea what in the heck was going on.  Someone was kind enough to ask me a few questions to figure out what my section and class was.  Then I ended up making a bunch of contacts and had a great time. 
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 01:24:19 AM »

I have no problem talking someone trough the exchange. During the last PACC (everyone works Dutch stations) a multitude of NA hams responded with their state abbreviation while I needed a progression serial number. I always took a little time to explain what I needed politely. This more then once resulted in more QSO's with hams who were listening in on the QSO, once they understood what I needed.
I want your QSO so I don't really mind talking you trough the exchange. But if you have access to internet, please check the contest rules up front.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 11:20:59 AM »

Use BR-549 in contests.
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 04:38:17 PM »

I think the most important thing regarding contests is that most of the people who don't do that type of thing freak out when it happens.  Contest folks are rude, they scream, have no regard for being close in freq to anyone else and then they wonder why folks ask silly questions.  You guys know you do it get over it and stop trying to cover it up with BS.  For folks with silly questions get over it the contest people don't care about you and they will run you over like you were never there.  Find something else to do when they start or deal with it and engage in the lunacy.  I just call it like I see it.         
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 05:15:42 PM »

I think the most important thing regarding contests is that most of the people who don't do that type of thing freak out when it happens.
It's just a ham radio contest... there's no reason to freak out.
Contest folks are rude, they scream, have no regard for being close in freq to anyone else and then they wonder why folks ask silly questions. You guys know you do it get over it and stop trying to cover it up with BS.
You paint with a broad brush. It's only your opinion (and not necessarily fact).
For folks with silly questions get over it the contest people don't care about you and they will run you over like you were never there.  Find something else to do when they start or deal with it and engage in the lunacy.  I just call it like I see it.   
Whenever I encounter a non-contester who sends me several pieces of info I don't need or otherwise drags out a contact, I'm ALWAYS patient. Sometimes when doing search-and-pounce (tuning around, looking for stations calling CQ), I encounter someone patiently handling a non-contester. So far, in nearly five decades of contesting (dating back to my Novice days), I've NEVER encountered a contester not having patience with a non-contester. The best way to attract new contesters is to not push them away. IMO, your observation is incorrect.
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 05:30:46 PM »

Well maybe my observation is way off base.  Screaming contest people at 12 sharp before that I was in a QSO having a great time with 3 of my friends now all I hear is screaming.  You guys know you do this stuff why do you try to hide from it.  It's OK I get it but don't try to hide from it. 
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2017, 05:42:20 PM »

Well maybe my observation is way off base.  Screaming contest people at 12 sharp before that I was in a QSO having a great time with 3 of my friends now all I hear is screaming.
Early-on I noticed, the louder I talked (nee "screamed"), the sooner my voice went hoarse. It was easier to just increased the microphone gain. The advent of the Digital Voice Keyer (DVK) in the 1980s further reduced the need to use live voice. In the past decade or so with PC-based DVKs, we can nearly operate an entire fone contest w/o using the microphone. No "screaming" at all. When using non-voice modes, I've never had that problem.
You guys know you do this stuff why do you try to hide from it.  It's OK I get it but don't try to hide from it. 
I don't do it. No one I've heard does it. Therefore, we don't have anything from which to hide.

In any case, the OP's question was answered LONG ago.
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2017, 07:32:32 PM »

Contest folks are crazy as all get out you know it and everyone else knows it.  They scream get all up around your freq and just simply don't seem to care.  You can gloss over it all you want I don't care.  Well maybe you are right contest folks are respectful and ......  I'm going in circles I'm sorry.  YES we love contests!!!   
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2017, 07:39:24 PM »

Contest folks are crazy as all get out you know it and everyone else knows it.  They scream get all up around your freq and just simply don't seem to care.
In nearly 50 years of fone contesting, I've NEVER screamed. In nearly 50 years fone of contesting, I've NEVER heard another contester scream. The same goes for non-fone modes.
You can gloss over it all you want I don't care.  Well maybe you are right contest folks are respectful and ......  I'm going in circles I'm sorry.  YES we love contests!!!   
I agree, you're going in circles... whatever your callsign (if you have one).
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2017, 07:45:13 AM »

Contest folks are crazy as all get out you know it and everyone else knows it.  They scream get all up around your freq and just simply don't seem to care.  You can gloss over it all you want I don't care.  Well maybe you are right contest folks are respectful and ......  I'm going in circles I'm sorry.  YES we love contests!!!   

Who are you?  What is your callsign?  Are you an amateur radio operator?

We ask these things to try to understand you and your amateur radio experiences.

I am James  K0UA, you can look me up on the FCC database or on QRZ or other databases.  I am pretty much an open book.  You on the other hand are a shadowy figure.  If it were up to me, there would be no one allowed to post on this board without a callsign.  But it is not up to me Smiley
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 03:30:17 PM »

yes I agree James but it's not up to me.  Everyone knows how contests work and how when they start we shut down for the contest because it's that simple.  The contest is short lived and the ragchew guys need to spin the dial for a weekend.  Go to the warc bands.  How hard is it not to understand this?   
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: