Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2m SSB  (Read 4377 times)
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2017, 06:15:04 PM »

2 questions

1) Using a pair of A144 S5 with phasing harness, feed with 40w using Ft-897, should I be able to reach St. Louis, MO from Marion, IL 150 miles away?

2) Anyone here in the Eastern Mo, Southern IL, Western KY or Southwestern IN willing to point their 2m array at me to try to make a contact on 2m SSB?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 03:43:13 AM »

Height of antenna is a factor too. 60 feet or more seems to the sweet spot here. Minimum reliable range should be at least 100 miles or so and possibly further depending on terrain and antenna height. Under favorable conditions much further ranges are easily obtainable. Ducting is common in spring and fall with weather changes and cold or warm fronts and 300 to 500 miles is not unusual. Experience is best teacher here as you need to learn band and conditions that extend its range.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 04:21:03 AM »

I do not them up that high yet. But I will get them as high as I can.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 05:02:20 AM »

I do not them up that high yet. But I will get them as high as I can.

Height is a factor. But it is a different than LOS (line of sight) FM requirements. With LOS the higher the better but with 2m SSB  you depend on Tropo or Ducting to extend range and sweet spot for that seems to be around 60 feet or so after which not much gained going higher.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 01:56:20 PM »

2 questions

1) Using a pair of A144 S5 with phasing harness, feed with 40w using Ft-897, should I be able to reach St. Louis, MO from Marion, IL 150 miles away?

I think it is possible.

I knew a ham in NJ who used to regularly talk to a station in Rhode Island and a good portion of lower New England running 160 watts into a 10 element antenna.

I myself already had Southern Ontario and central Tennessee from here in KY running just 50 watts and a 3 element beam antenna under tropo conditions. I can get up to Dayton Ohio 50 miles away under flat conditions with same setup.

Give it a try...

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 09:13:13 AM »

I don't think you will have a problem getting into St. Louis.....the problem is that except for me calling CQ (150 wts to a par omni) maybe once a week or so to an always dead band, there's no one to answer you.

I would like to put up a nice Yagi but it's a "chicken or egg" deal; I'm not going to bust my butt again, antenna-wise, to merely expand my "no response" area.

St. Louis may indeed have some little known and as of yet undiscovered socially redeeming value(s) and if it does having 2 meter CW/SSB activity sure would not on the list.
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 11:50:21 AM »

Its all about antenna height and the antenna.

The A144 is cut for the FM portion (146.52ish) of the band though I may tune ok for the SSB (144.2).
No matter what for SSB mount it horizontal.  Cross polarization for LOS paths takes a huge hit.

Also you didn't say how far apart you spaced those antennas, wrong spacing and you
don't get the advantage. 

Height above ground must be higher than local (within a block) buildings.  Generally higher
than most trees is more effective.

Power 40W will work but expect the other end to do the heavy lifting.

Use good coax for runs over 50ft.

That all said Using a personally designed 11 element long boom yagi I usually
do 150 mile or greater paths with 100W often only 20W.  That would be eastern MA
to NJ (morristown area) and Long island.  Considering I have terrain between me
and there as CT is not flat that should be doable.

One thing, earn how to extract the max performance from the radio both TX and RX.
That means getting audio right and running the internal RX preamp if switchable.

Allison
WO2C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 04:06:28 PM »

.....the problem is that except for me calling CQ (150 wts to a par omni) maybe once a week or so to an always dead band, there's no one to answer you.

I would like to put up a nice Yagi but it's a "chicken or egg" deal; I'm not going to bust my butt again, antenna-wise, to merely expand my "no response" area.

To a certain degree, I can relate. From southwestern Pennsylvania, 300-400 watts into a small Yagi has given me some very enjoyable 2 Meter SSB QSO's with southern Ontario, West Virginia, North Carolina, Ohio, etc. The frustrating part is that so few amateurs seem interested in experimenting with this very fun & interesting band. For those without multimode radios, even 2 Meter FM simplex can be fun.

Ray, WO2C
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 04:47:26 PM »

I think your best bet is to find out what the biggest ham radio clubs are in St. Louis. Then post messages to their forums and tell them you are looking for some 2 SSB meter contacts from Illinois.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
NM3G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 04:53:05 AM »

Good morning Ed,

1. Be sure you install the antennas horizontal.
2. Be sure you have the antennas phased correctly; the center conductor goes to the SAME  dipole feed element on both antennas. This means you must ensure both antennas are oriented the same, and the RF connections are the same. Double check, then check again.
3. Be sure you have the correct antenna-to-antenna spacing as specified by the antenna instructions
4. Be sure to use a non-conductive boom if you are stacking the antennas horizontally.
5. Be sure to check the coax cable and connector loss before installing everything ... put a power meter at the shack end of the coax, a properly rated dummy load at the antenna end, and measure forward (and reflected) power. Then, install the power meter and the dummy load at the antenna end and again measure forward (and reflected) power. Your reflected power should be low to nonexistent and the difference between the two forward power measurements (do use CW for this) should show you how much power is delivered to the antenna. Calculate this in dB by 10*Log (Power into Coax/Power out of Coax). The lower the loss, the better.
6. For long-term success, weatherproof all exposed RF connections.

To find active 2 meter SSB/Digital stations in your target area, I recommend you go to http://www.pingjockey.net/cgi-bin/pingtalk/, and read the comments that are posted to the Ping Jockey Central page. While Ping Jockey (PJ) is used typically for digital modes, most of the hams will provide assistance. If nothing else, you can listen on the qso frequencies to determine whether you're hearing meteor scatter (pinging signals), or can copy the stations throughout their transmit period (typically, but not limited to 15 second periods). You do need to register to make comments on the PJ site.

Another good site is the ON4KST 144 & 432 MHz IARU Region 2 Chat page (http://www.on4kst.com/chat/start.php). This site is region and frequency oriented (many different pages) and you do have to register to view or reply (donations to support server expenses are greatly appreciated). The folks here are not limited to any particular mode ... a lot of them tend toward CW/SSB.

I hope this helps.

Rick
NM3G

2 questions

2) Anyone here in the Eastern Mo, Southern IL, Western KY or Southwestern IN willing to point their 2m array at me to try to make a contact on 2m SSB?
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 05:41:37 AM »

Thank you for the many replies.  I have taken many of the precautions and steps as noted above.

Fiber glass pole as mast
Currently spaced 44 inches apart (manual says 40 - 48, so I split the difference)
They are horizontal with feed point in same orientation
Local test indicates I am getting out
Still waiting on longer cable and warmer/drier weather to get them higher. But need easy access because they are going to be used for Field Day.

I went to SSB because my FT-897 can do it and I still only have a Technician class license.  I am working to enourage our local Tech class to engage in
the operations our class allows as a learning tool. I also share this information with the local Boy Scout units under the STEM initiative to see if I can
generate some interest in Amateur Radio.
WB8LBZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 01:00:55 PM »

Look for a 2 sideband net. If there isn't one, start one. We have one here in El Paso (DM61) on Sunday nights 8PM local. Some of the better equipped stations have contacted Albuquerque. Silver City, Las Cruces and Alamogordo have also also been present. Find another station in your area and make some noise on the band.

73, Larry  WB8LBZ
El Paso, TX
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 03:13:27 PM »

Just go onto some of the many Facebook ham radio groups such as "QSO Now", and announce where and when you will be operating!  This will alert other hams using 2 meter SSB to listen for you.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 04:30:53 PM »

Another vote to come come up on Ping Jockey and go ahead and download the WSJT-X program and feed some audio to your computer sound card and listen for meteor pings.  I work a fair amount of Meteor Scatter.  I seem to be able to work St. Louis on 6 meter SSB, which is a bit over 150 miles.  But 6 meters is not 2 meters.  When I had a 2 meter SSB setup I used to be able to work Kansas city Hams a lot of the time, most mornings. Which was around 175 miles.  There is always some morning enhancement especially in the summer.  Of course with ducting, hundreds or thousands of mile are possible.  Of course some more power would be helpful, but you will certainly make contacts with what you have. If you don't want to mess with meteor scatter (and it is an acquired taste, kinda like beer  Grin ) you can stay on cw and ssb and still make contacts.  The key is getting someone on the other end with their beams pointed at you. This is where ping jockey can help.  One thing we don't know is how good your location is.  I used to live on a high point with a pair of home made 5 element beams at 25 feet high with an old Motorola base station running 25 watts, and I worked 26 states with that on FM.  Yes it was a great location, but your setup is light years (and a lot of db's) ahead of an old tube type Motorola base on FM.  Good luck with your setup.
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 07:34:48 AM »

I have 9 elements/100w on 2M and have worked others in your area on 2m SSB/CW when there is some tropo enhancement. K0TPP and KF4WE are not far from you and are quite active.
I suggest trying the 2M spring sprint coming up Monday, 4/17/17 from 7 - 11 PM local (central time):

https://sites.google.com/site/springvhfupsprints/home

You might also see if there are any beacons you can hear. I can usually hear W4HHK in Memphis on 144.280.

http://www.newsvhf.com/beacons2.html

Tor
N4OGW
EM53
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: