The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K4D Dog Island DXpedition Special Event Station To Add 2 Meter SSB  (Read 2374 times)
K5TEN

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2017, 10:31:54 PM »

Dog Island DXpedition,   K4D or K5TEN/p, Dog Island, FL,  SSB/CW on 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10, 6, and 2 meters.   Adding 2 meter SSB!

I will have a 160 watt brick and a 6 element beam for 2 meters.   Antenna will be up 35' at a beach house surrounded by salt water.

June 3rd through the 10th, 2017.  0000Z to 2359 Z     I will be checking 10, 6, and 2 meters OFTEN.   I will also be active the first night of the ARRL VHF June Contest.

QSL to K5TEN.

Look forward to working you!   Dog Island and EL79 are both rare.  65% of all HF IOTA Island Chasers need Dog Island.   It is far more rare on VHF.

Please pass the word!

Thank you!

Bruce Brady,  K5TEN
KA4WJA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 02:05:37 PM »

Bruce,
FB on this effort!!
And, wishing you good luck!!

Back in the day, summer of 1986, I put EL79 on the air, for the CQWW VHF contest....on 6m SSB/CW and 2m SSB/CW...
KA4WJA / EL79 from St. George's Island.....W4 call area high score!  (and I think 3rd or 4th in the US??)

Dog Island DXpedition,   K4D or K5TEN/p, Dog Island, FL,  SSB/CW on 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10, 6, and 2 meters.   Adding 2 meter SSB!

I will have a 160 watt brick and a 6 element beam for 2 meters.   Antenna will be up 35' at a beach house surrounded by salt water.

June 3rd through the 10th, 2017.  0000Z to 2359 Z     I will be checking 10, 6, and 2 meters OFTEN.   I will also be active the first night of the ARRL VHF June Contest.

QSL to K5TEN.

Look forward to working you!   Dog Island and EL79 are both rare.  65% of all HF IOTA Island Chasers need Dog Island.   It is far more rare on VHF.

Please pass the word!

Thank you!

Bruce Brady,  K5TEN
But, we roughed it in the July, Florida Gulf-Coast heat, in tents!!
From the "primitive camp sites" in St. George's Island State Park....no running water, no bathroom facilities, etc...and realy frigging HOT...sand flies, etc.!!

But, we had a super station on-the-air!!

Two Rohn 25G towers, with rotors, on the beach, just 10 - 15 yards from the Gulf...
Separate 6m and 2m stations, primary and back-up generators (as well as plenty of spare parts)...
We couldn't drive to the area, had to use 15' John Boats from the State Park ramp to the old primitive camp site....(except for park ranger checking on us once, didn't see/hear anyone for the 4 days we were there!!)

Long-boom 5-ele yagi on 6m, at 30' (Rohn 25G), with rotor....(our primary 6m rig died within the first few minutes on the air, so we used our back-up (vacuum-tube 6m transmit converter, w/ 35 watts out....and an old NC-303 receiver w/ 6m rec converter)....
No fooling, if it weren't for the dedication of my late friend Jerry, KB4RBB (who homebrewed the 6m station on the spot, from all of the extra gear we brought with us), we'd not have had a 6m station working that weekend!!

Long-boom Cushcraft "boomer" on 2m, at 30' (on second Rohn 25G tower), with rotor....IC-290A and 160 brick amp....

No "tropo openings", but we made a lot of 2m tropo-scatter contacts....and many 6m Es contacts that weekend!!!

I'm envious of your "beach house" operation....but, I was pretty young back then, so I think I'm more of a beach house guy now, myself!!  Smiley

Again, good luck!!

John,  KA4WJA
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:09:11 PM by KA4WJA » Logged
K5TEN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 09:20:59 PM »

What an awesome story!

St. George is in the neighborhood and the lights can be seen from Dog Island at night.

Thank you for Sharing!!

KA2BPP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 10:59:46 AM »

During the contest don't forget to use the ON4KST chat pages. I'm a tad way too far but you never know with tropo. Any thought to adding MSK144 to your arsenal?
K5TEN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 01:30:50 AM »

During the contest don't forget to use the ON4KST chat pages. I'm a tad way too far but you never know with tropo. Any thought to adding MSK144 to your arsenal?

I would love to add digital modes but the weight is just too much and the time it takes to make 1 digital contact I can make 5 on SSB.

I did digital modes back in 2014 and could work far more on SSB than digital in the same timeframe.

I may try next year to add digital modes and RTTY being that the sunspot cycle will have deteriorated even more from right now.

On a DXpedition weight of equipment is indeed a factor -- especially if you have to schlep everything up 4 flights of stairs to the beach house while disabled.

Bruce
K5TEN,     K5TEN/p,    K4D  (June 3rd 0000Z to June 10th 2359 Z)
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 09:00:59 AM »

Bruce,
It was nice to work you on 6m during one of the openings this weekend! I hope you are enjoying the DXpedition. Thank you for your efforts  Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: