The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YAESU VX-6R Programming Nightmare!  (Read 5219 times)
KA2Z

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2017, 11:50:21 AM »

I got this dual band Yaesu VX-6R/E radio.

Im ready to throw this thing out the window.

can somebody explain to me in simple English how to program a repeater into this?
I need to have 146.19 as the transmit freq.
I need to have 146.790 as the RX freq.
The PL needs to be 141.3

The useless manual is 100 plus pages written by somebody for whom English is a second language.
Thanks for ANY help.

Rosario  KA2Z
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 04:03:15 PM »

FIRST PRESS THE MODE KEY REPEATEDLY UNTIL  AUTO  IS DISPLAYED.
1. press V/M TO GET IN VFO MODE.
2. enter 146.790 WHILE IN VFO MODE
3. PRESS  F W  THEN PRESS THE  0 KEY TO SET THE REPEATER OFFSET, ROTATE LARGE LOWER KNOB FOR SELECTION #56 WHICH IS THE  SHIFT, THEN PRESS THE 0 KEY AGAIN . ROTATE THE LARGE LOWER KNOB FOR 0.60M TO SET 600KHZ TX OFFSET PRESS THE PTT BUTTON
4. PRESS F W  KEY THEN PRESS THE 6 KEY TO SET THE REPEATER OFFSET DIRECTION, ROTATE THE LARGE (LOWER KNOB) TO SELECT  --RPT  PRESS THE 6 KEY OR THE PTT.
5. PRESS F W  KEY THEN PRESS THE 2 KEY  TO SET YOUR 141.3HZ CTCSS TONE
ROTATE THE LARGE (LOWER KNOB) TO SELECT THE 141.3HZ CTCSS FREQUENCY  PRESS THE 2 KEY AGAIN OR PTT.
6. PRESS  F W  KEY THEN PRESS THE  MODE KEY ROTATE THE LOWER, LARGE KNOB UNTIL THE DISPLAY SHOWS  TONE THEN PRESS MODE  AGAIN .
7. PRESS AND HOLD THE F W KEY IN UNTIL YOU HEAR TWO BEEPS,
WITHIN 2 SECONDS ROTATE THE LARGE LOWER KNOB TO SELECT A MEMORY CHANNEL NUMBER  OR ACCEPT THE NEXT OPEN MEMORY.
PRESS THE F W KEY A SECOND TIME AND YOU WILL HEAR ANOTHER BEEP. 146.79 IS NOW WRITTEN TO MEMORY.

PRESS THE V/M KEY AND THE RADIO DISPLAYS  MEMORY
ROTATE THE LARGE LOWER KNOB TO THE MEMORY NUMBER SELECTED IN STEP 7 AND IT SHOULD BE 146.790 WITH -  DISPLAYED JUST TO THE RIGHT OF THE MEMORY NUMBER AND  T  JUST RIGHT OF THE - SIGN FOR YOUR TX CTCSS TONE.

PRACTICE THESE STEPS FOR SEVERAL OTHER REPEATERS AND THEN PRINT THESE STEPS OUT.

NOW IF I COULD JUST REMEMBER HOW TO DELETE MEMORIES SINCE I NOW HAVE 7 FILLED UP IN A ROW WITH 146.790/ 141.3HZ CTCSS
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 04:16:03 PM by WB8VLC » Logged
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 02:47:43 PM »

FIRST PRESS THE MODE KEY REPEATEDLY UNTIL  AUTO  IS DISPLAYED.
1. press V/M TO GET IN VFO MODE.
2. enter 146.790 WHILE IN VFO MODE
3. PRESS  F W  THEN PRESS THE  0 KEY TO SET THE REPEATER OFFSET, ROTATE LARGE LOWER KNOB FOR SELECTION #56 WHICH IS THE  SHIFT, THEN PRESS THE 0 KEY AGAIN . ROTATE THE LARGE LOWER KNOB FOR 0.60M TO SET 600KHZ TX OFFSET PRESS THE PTT BUTTON
4. PRESS F W  KEY THEN PRESS THE 6 KEY TO SET THE REPEATER OFFSET DIRECTION, ROTATE THE LARGE (LOWER KNOB) TO SELECT  --RPT  PRESS THE 6 KEY OR THE PTT.
5. PRESS F W  KEY THEN PRESS THE 2 KEY  TO SET YOUR 141.3HZ CTCSS TONE
ROTATE THE LARGE (LOWER KNOB) TO SELECT THE 141.3HZ CTCSS FREQUENCY  PRESS THE 2 KEY AGAIN OR PTT.
6. PRESS  F W  KEY THEN PRESS THE  MODE KEY ROTATE THE LOWER, LARGE KNOB UNTIL THE DISPLAY SHOWS  TONE THEN PRESS MODE  AGAIN .
7. PRESS AND HOLD THE F W KEY IN UNTIL YOU HEAR TWO BEEPS,
WITHIN 2 SECONDS ROTATE THE LARGE LOWER KNOB TO SELECT A MEMORY CHANNEL NUMBER  OR ACCEPT THE NEXT OPEN MEMORY.
PRESS THE F W KEY A SECOND TIME AND YOU WILL HEAR ANOTHER BEEP. 146.79 IS NOW WRITTEN TO MEMORY.

PRESS THE V/M KEY AND THE RADIO DISPLAYS  MEMORY
ROTATE THE LARGE LOWER KNOB TO THE MEMORY NUMBER SELECTED IN STEP 7 AND IT SHOULD BE 146.790 WITH -  DISPLAYED JUST TO THE RIGHT OF THE MEMORY NUMBER AND  T  JUST RIGHT OF THE - SIGN FOR YOUR TX CTCSS TONE.

PRACTICE THESE STEPS FOR SEVERAL OTHER REPEATERS AND THEN PRINT THESE STEPS OUT.

NOW IF I COULD JUST REMEMBER HOW TO DELETE MEMORIES SINCE I NOW HAVE 7 FILLED UP IN A ROW WITH 146.790/ 141.3HZ CTCSS

Did you type this with a Teletype machine?
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 03:10:11 PM »

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/Articles.asp?ID=422
Will net you the programming software for this rig.

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 09:42:14 PM »

These radios are not very friendly to program.
To clear all memory:
Radio   OFF.
Press and hold MR, #4, and VFO keys all at the same time while turning the radio on.
Release these keys then press the F key.
Its not in the manual.
I just recently had this go around with a VX5 trying to show a new Ham that knows nothing about nothing to even begin with.
Best to begin by learning what has to be done with any radio to program FM repeaters.
Set repeater freq., be sure the radio auto off sets in the right direction, set the PL tone then enter into memory by assigning a number.
How this is done in any specific radio is the real issue that has to be found in the user manual.
Other wise its the same operation in any radio.
Good luck.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 12:57:10 PM »

I got this dual band Yaesu VX-6R/E radio.

Im ready to throw this thing out the window.

can somebody explain to me in simple English how to program a repeater into this?
I need to have 146.19 as the transmit freq.
I need to have 146.790 as the RX freq.
The PL needs to be 141.3

The useless manual is 100 plus pages written by somebody for whom English is a second language.
Thanks for ANY help.

Rosario  KA2Z

It's not a Baofeng, it has automatic repeater shift. You only need to read the parts of the manual with programming steps.

I have yet to have difficulty with manually programming. Just pulled my UV-82x out after not using it for months, still remembered the programming sequence.
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 04:55:17 PM »

the vx6 is one of the easiest radio to program once you read the instructions and do it once or twice?

MUCH easier than the China junk
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 08:12:28 PM »

No teletype machine,

It was done away from my main pc using what was available at the time after a fishing trip on the Deschutes River in central Oregon, an Ipod 8gb music player using the Safari web browser.

Try doing that on a 1.5 inch screen, it'll make your eyeballs pop out after just 5 minutes of typing.

But I agree with EKT, read the manual and after several memories being programmed it becomes easy, certainly much easier than web browsing and typing with an Ipod music player.
KA2Z

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 07:37:01 AM »

Thank you for your help but I gave it away to a friend who has more patience then I do.
After just listening for a few weeks there is no one on any of these repeaters anyway!
Never heard anything.

Thanks again!
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 10:59:16 AM »

Good choice, I gave mine to a new ham family member.

My main Ht's are now a pair of 500 dollar Motorola XTS5000, FPP HT'S.

One for 137-174 and the other for 384-470MHz.

There is only one programming menu layer to wade thru which makes changing frequency, tones, analog or digital, bandwith, scanlist alpha numerics, tms text messaging all the bells and whistles without the typical ham style programming frustrations.

The XTS with the FPP, front PANEL programming, option is the easiest radio that I have ever used.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 07:31:24 PM »

Darn,

I just got caught and chewed out, my oldest son just asked my why his vx-6r has 7 successive memory channels with 146.79 in them and no such repeater on the air in our area.
NJ2E

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 09:24:37 AM »

The " Chirp " software also works with the VX6, as well as other. Well supported and free, except for donations.
Have had a VX6 and quite pleased with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: